• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much should a suit cost? for work

Fishbone

Reaction score
Hello style enthusiasts, as a person that have a passion for fashion I would like to wear a great suit that I can feel comfortable and proud wearing it. I am currently looking at Isetan(I am Japanese)'s made to measure options, I already own one Henry poole MTM and the fit is superb, I love it! The only thing is that these suits cost 260-120 000 jpy(2600-1200usd). I am wondering how much do you guys on average spend on suits for work?

I personally find it justifiable as I believe quality and classic items are worth the price considering the price-per-use, satisfaction-pride-wearing-it as well as comfort goes; but I would like to have some second opinions for this.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is always better to buy the highest quality suit that you are happy to afford. I only commission bespoke suits for work (or any other purpose), usually from one of two excellent bespoke tailors in Hong Kong who know their trade inside out as opposed to having a glossy shop front and salesmen who would say anything but their prayers!

I have had bespoke suits and no others for fifty years, first my late Father's tailor and since then I have chosen my tailors. Fortunately he paid as he wanted me to enjoy the pleasures he ha long enjoyed. I have no regrets.

I would certainly urge you to continue as you are doing and have nothing to do with cheap suits, you will regret any such purchase and would probably not wear it.

Little Luxuries

Reaction score
Sadly I'd say: it depends on your work. And it also depends on you.

At my old job in management consulting (think something like McKinsey), the partners would often wear the worst, ill-fitting, TM Lewin suits. Clearly, to "fit in" there was no need to get a high-end suit. Likewise, a friend of mine who works in investment banking also mainly wears TM Lewin.

I do not know what your environment is like, but I have found that in many modern workplaces, dressing well can be underappreciated. In short, my point is: do not expect your nice suit to be noticed, or to give you a career benefit.

However, I would definitely say: go for it. You are probably better off getting a nice suit, because:
- Some people definitely do notice, so you will get some props / recognition
- It will feel more comfortable
- Typically, with these expensive items you get the money back. It's like with shoes - a £300 pair of shoes will last 10 years, a £150 pair of shoes 2 years...

useless_username

Reaction score
It's a highly subjective question as so much depends on the person's tastes, disposable income, etc. This forum has both extremes on display: thrift store guerrillas and guys who wear nothing but high-end bespoke. I would say the Average Joe will baulk at anything over 500 USD for a two-piece.

If the sole objective is to fit in at work, I think almost any suit will do, as long as it's not comically ill-fitting or hideous. Most people just see a suit, and all suits look the same to them.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The enjoyment of wearing it is critical. That enjoyment will show through in your work so carry on please. Quality and classic lines as you say will ensure a good life for the suit and in fact will be far more economical that two or three cheap suits.

aph999

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with GBR's advice, and the same given to me by grandfather, and father. Consider your suits your uniform, wear them proudly.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Personally I tend to use local MTM suits (c.£900) for everyday work, and keep my nicer bespoke suits for board meetings, smarter work and social events, and similar.

I prefer to spend bespoke money on odd jackets, where you can be a bit more extravagant with cloth selection.

Fishbone

Reaction score
The enjoyment of wearing it is critical. That enjoyment will show through in your work so carry on please. Quality and classic lines as you say will ensure a good life for the suit and in fact will be far more economical that two or three cheap suits.

Agree with GBR's advice, and the same given to me by grandfather, and father. Consider your suits your uniform, wear them proudly.

Indeed, since so called cheap suits are still fairly pricey anyway, I figured might as well wait a little extra longer and get something truly of quality that I not only feel comfortable wearing but is proud wearing, my suit of armor.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michael13