• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much, per annum, do you spend on your wardrobe?

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Remember, I've been buying clothing for more years than most of you are old ... 2 times that long given the youthfulness of some members.

What do you figure you spend per year now? You must be able to come up with a decent estimate.

And what do you do for a living?

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
per annum £2-5k. For 2010 I estimate around 3K.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have people who keep track of that for me...thats how baller i am...just asked him and he states I spend around 1.6 million crozillos per year...which in USD equates to about a grand.
wink.gif

All in all I honestly spend about 5K. rough guesstimate though. I spend a lot of time on B&S and the bay too, so retail would be loads more. Im a smart shopper (read:cheapskate)

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry for necrobump. Was just thinking about this subject. Got into thinking about how much the average American spends on clothes, haircuts, clothes relative to what they'd pay for insurance under Obamacare. Someone in their 30s could forego their daily Starbucks frapacino and make one less clothing purchase per month and be able to afford the Silver plan. No government subsidy.

Anyways, I just crunched the numbers and it was a big number, but then I realized that I had accumulated my current wardrobe over about several years, so per annum it was much lower.

I spend a lot of time on B&S and the bay too, so retail would be loads more. Im a smart shopper (read:cheapskate)

This is me too. Basically multiply my wardrobe by 3.5x to find out the true retail value.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My shoe tally was depressing. Women often get **** from men about their shoe collections. I think that average woman probably owns about 10 heels for about $70 each from a place like DSW. $700 shoe wardrobe right there.

My 10 benchmade shoes came in many times more than that.

Audit This

Reaction score

Women often get **** from men about their shoe collections. I think that average woman probably owns about 10 heels for about $70 each from a place like DSW. $700 shoe wardrobe right there.
My 10 benchmade shoes came in many times more than that.

But she may wear a pair of shoes one time. A pair of AEs worn once a week for four years (before resole) is by far the better deal.

SuitsYouSir89

Reaction score
Bit of a bump on an old thread.

I haven't spent much at all on 'formal' clothing over the past 3-4 years. I did buy one suit a year ago at around 500 GBP. Recently in the run up to my wedding, I decided to invest in a formal wardrobe as it was pretty lacking outside of a few ill-fitting suits and a pair of cheap 'pleather' shoes, terrible I know.

Since I was buying items for my wedding coming up, I suppose it spilled into deciding (and feeling it was somewhat neccasary) to finally invest in a new formal wardrobe, for work and also for other formal events.

Anyway, I've dropped about 4k GBP on this new wardrobe; several suits, shoes, ties, pocket squares etc. When I checked how much I had spent on excel, I was somewhat shocked, but reading through this thread, I don't feel quite as bad now. 2k of this is directly for my wedding (suit, nice shoes), and the other 2k was for more of a general update, so all things considered, not too bad....

Especially since I haven't really invested in a formal wardrobe in quite sometime, perhaps if ever truly speaking. It was usually a case of wearing one suit at a time, and a pair of shoes that would wear out at work until I bought another pair. I guess there comes a time when you reach a point where you want to feel like you have a bit of a wardrobe to give you options and confidence for different occasions.

After this 'spree' I don't forsee myself spending as much in the next few years, I hope to maintain, but let's see. The reality is some of the older suits from a few years didn't fit properly in the first place and some items like shoes will eventually need replacing, so there is an element of having to, at the very least, maintain and buy new items from time to time.

I'm also concious that it does feel 'good' to buy new clothes for oneself from time to time - but just need to be careful that one doesn't overdo it, i.e. as long as it's all in budget...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads