• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many shirts do you own?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I started buying great shirts, I went mad before realizing a minimalist shirt rotation is always more desirable..

Different factors behind that school of thought:

-Change in body shape.. Weight loss , gain make shirt impact on the shirt fit, collar space...

-Change in taste .. I went all Sea Island a few years ago and then linen and then cotton and so on..

-Change in fashion.... Some collar types, prints ,patterns can be quickly outdated...
I never buy fashion forward shirts but there is always a risk..

-Change of jobsworking environment .. I went from a suit/tie to a more casual wardrobe due to a change of job...

I will now only buy a few shirts every 2 years...

My shirt rotation went from thirty plus to 20 and that's more than enough..

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Patterns can be very appealing at the shirtmaker's store, but they are much more recognizable. I can wear my solids without a second thought about when the last time I wore them was.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got like 30 myself, but a lot of it is because I travel between places a lot. I think you can have linen rotation for summer/hotter weather and then your sea island for more formal settings, and it's just fine. I personally have a bunch of inexpensive egyptian cotton twill shirts that I am extremely fond of and plan on getting a few more soon.

I definitely have a couple too many bold shirts though, but that's partially an age thing I imagine, but now I feel like I am growing out of it. Hard to wear my dark navy or burgundy or striped shirt with a jacket. Think these look fine with jeans and in casualwear but I just don't dress like that much anymore so they don't get much wear. I still think they look nice though, so eh, whatever.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I've got like 30 myself, but a lot of it is because I travel between places a lot. I think you can have linen rotation for summer/hotter weather and then your sea island for more formal settings, and it's just fine. I personally have a bunch of inexpensive egyptian cotton twill shirts that I am extremely fond of and plan on getting a few more soon.

I definitely have a couple too many bold shirts though, but that's partially an age thing I imagine, but now I feel like I am growing out of it. Hard to wear my dark navy or burgundy or striped shirt with a jacket. Think these look fine with jeans and in casualwear but I just don't dress like that much anymore so they don't get much wear. I still think they look nice though, so eh, whatever.

Sounds like you've got a good selection to cover all occasions!!

I'd like 20- 30, but only have 13 and on a clothing ban as I've spent a lot recently...shearling jacket, lots of jeans etc!

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Sounds like you've got a good selection to cover all occasions!!

I'd like 20- 30, but only have 13 and on a clothing ban as I've spent a lot recently...shearling jacket, lots of jeans etc!

Still on 13 but some wearing out

2 year ban is just never going to happen as I love clothes so much!:)

Will probably go to Richard Anderson on Savile Row for next batch...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Still on 13 but some wearing out

2 year ban is just never going to happen as I love clothes so much!:)

Will probably go to Richard Anderson on Savile Row for next batch...

Sean O'Flynn???

He is very very good.

spang

Reaction score
Do you guys differentiate between shirts you wear with and without suits, with and without tie etc?

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys differentiate between shirts you wear with and without suits, with and without tie etc?

Well I separate my casual and formal shirts and that's pretty much enough. Some outfits straddles both though, like linen suits can be worn with more casual shirts and blazer flannel outfits can be quite formal with shirts.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Well I separate my casual and formal shirts and that's pretty much enough. Some outfits straddles both though, like linen suits can be worn with more casual shirts and blazer flannel outfits can be quite formal with shirts.

I don't separate, I have 13 in total and rotate about half a dozen ar a time

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

My last S O Flynn wore out so I'm down to 12...

Think I'll need to shop soon:)

6 bespoke /6 rtw but I tend to wear the older rtw ones as pyjama tops as well

Not sure whether to buy a bundle of rtw or a few bespoke and try a new Shirtmaker...

Rtw much cheaper but don't last that long as they shrink or the cuffs go..

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you could have a value priced shirtmaker like Luxire copy your bespoke. Better fit than RTW at a much lower price point. Fabric being the wild card. Just an idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads