• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many of these Business /stores do you know

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of my retired seamstress still keeps busy Making children's clothing as well as bags like the one in the photo. Evan an occasional yarmulke.
When she moved to NYC from the Dominican Republic when she was in her early 20s. She had gone to school in her teens to learn the needle trade.
She worked for many years for a shirtmaker called Beck & Sobel. after they closed she worked for Geneva, Paris shirt and for me at Cego for over 20 years.
She has attached labels to this bag from companies that she made shirts for as well as other random labels she collected.
How many do you recognize?

Attachments

• 20230906_180617.jpg
    20230906_180617.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230906_180630.jpg
    20230906_180630.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230906_180636.jpg
    20230906_180636.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230906_180644.jpg
    20230906_180644.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230906_180653.jpg
    20230906_180653.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230906_180658.jpg
    20230906_180658.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230906_180702.jpg
    20230906_180702.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 219
  • 20230907_103042.jpg
    20230907_103042.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 221

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recognize 21 of these stores/brands. It was great to see Andre
Oliver, an elegant and unique store on 57th St, a block or so from
Dunhill Tailors. Was a customer of both.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Bravo, Carl, for this trip down memory lane.

Bruce Cameron Clark. The Lord of Lexington Avenue. Still holding court. BTW, this is his old label.

Knize. It used to have a New York branch. My grandmother was a bookkeeper there. For her, it was just a job. Her prior job was at a restaurant. She never talked about Knize in exalted terms. In fact, she felt that the clothes were plain and overpriced. Walter Winchell was a customer.

Sussex. It was a suitmaker in the teens that used to sell direct to the public. It used to advertise that it sold to major stores and that the suits were discounted since they were sold direct to the public out of the factory. It was similar to St. Laurie in its advertising. I had some in my early career days in the early 1980's. Gone.

H. Freeman & Sons. It was a quality suit before the owners sold. I would say that it was comparable with Hickey Freeman (no relation) in that both were basically hand made suits. I had several of both. The Freeman family sold, and the Philadelphia factory was closed. The buyers folded it into English American tailoring, and it basically exists as just a label.

Lana Lee. She used to have an attractive store on Lexington and about 64th St. She closed it. Is she still in business?

GGG. This company made a top of the line suit, and Martin Greenfield learned his craft there. He bought the factory, and it is the site of his company, Martin Greenfield Clothiers which is run by his sons, Jay and Tod. He discusses it in his autobiography, "The Measure of a Man."

Louis Roth. This was a pretty flashy suit with cloth covered buttons and the like. It was something a gambler in Las Vegas would wear. It used to be sold in a special room at Barney's Seventh Avenue (before Madison Avenue) which was reserved for "top of the line" suits, such as Oxxford and Norman Hilton. Gone.

Tripler. A real class store that sold lines like Hickey Freeman and Oxxford and Troy Shirtmakers Guild when it was quality. I believe that it was three floors, and everything that it sold was quality. I had bought some accessories there. Its old store now houses a Joseph Bank. It is like a Burger King occupying the former site of the Four Seasons.

Sulka. Another extinct brand of distinction. I have had some ties and shirts.

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bravo, Carl, for this trip down memory lane.

Bruce Cameron Clark. The Lord of Lexington Avenue. Still holding court. BTW, this is his old label.

Knize. It used to have a New York branch. My grandmother was a bookkeeper there. For her, it was just a job. Her prior job was at a restaurant. She never talked about Knize in exalted terms. In fact, she felt that the clothes were plain and overpriced. Walter Winchell was a customer.

Sussex. It was a suitmaker in the teens that used to sell direct to the public. It used to advertise that it sold to major stores and that the suits were discounted since they were sold direct to the public out of the factory. It was similar to St. Laurie in its advertising. I had some in my early career days in the early 1980's. Gone.

H. Freeman & Sons. It was a quality suit before the owners sold. I would say that it was comparable with Hickey Freeman (no relation) in that both were basically hand made suits. I had several of both. The Freeman family sold, and the Philadelphia factory was closed. The buyers folded it into English American tailoring, and it basically exists as just a label.

Lana Lee. She used to have an attractive store on Lexington and about 64th St. She closed it. Is she still in business?

GGG. This company made a top of the line suit, and Martin Greenfield learned his craft there. He bought the factory, and it is the site of his company, Martin Greenfield Clothiers which is run by his sons, Jay and Tod. He discusses it in his autobiography, "The Measure of a Man."

Louis Roth. This was a pretty flashy suit with cloth covered buttons and the like. It was something a gambler in Las Vegas would wear. It used to be sold in a special room at Barney's Seventh Avenue (before Madison Avenue) which was reserved for "top of the line" suits, such as Oxxford and Norman Hilton. Gone.

Tripler. A real class store that sold lines like Hickey Freeman and Oxxford and Troy Shirtmakers Guild when it was quality. I believe that it was three floors, and everything that it sold was quality. I had bought some accessories there. Its old store now houses a Joseph Bank. It is like a Burger King occupying the former site of the Four Seasons.

Sulka. Another extinct brand of distinction. I have had some ties and shirts.
Thanks for your insights. I do love old labels.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
One further note.

Wallachs was a New York based chain of mens stores with branches on Fifth Avenue and 45th Street, lower Broadway, Brooklyn, Newark, and around the metro area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallachs_(clothiers)

I would say that it was middle market as compared to Tripler's, but it sold good stuff by today's standards. It was a respectable place for the clothing of middle management and some of middle mangement who graduate to upper management. Generally, the big bosses would buy at Tripler or Brooks Brothers or Chipp or Paul Stuart or J. Press which were all in two blocks. Even the middle ground suits had much hand work by today's standards. Eventually, Wallachs was purchased by Hart Shaffner & Marx, and it featured its suits as well as Hickey Freeman which was owned by Hart Shaffner. Hart Shaffner became Hartmarx which also owned Tripler's and another chain, Roots. The retail stores were sold to another company which eventually went bust.

It was the type of place where a businessman would come at least twice a year for seasonal clothing, typically the fall for the fall-winter clothing and the spring for spring-summer. The emphasis was on quality make and tailored fit rather than high style.

Wallachs's passing in 1995 marked the ominous beginnings of the casual cancer trend.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One further note.

Wallachs was a New York based chain of mens stores with branches on Fifth Avenue and 45th Street, lower Broadway, Brooklyn, Newark, and around the metro area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallachs_(clothiers)

I would say that it was middle market as compared to Tripler's, but it sold good stuff by today's standards. It was a respectable place for the clothing of middle management and some of middle mangement who graduate to upper management. Generally, the big bosses would buy at Tripler or Brooks Brothers or Chipp or Paul Stuart or J. Press which were all in two blocks. Even the middle ground suits had much hand work by today's standards. Eventually, Wallachs was purchased by Hart Shaffner & Marx, and it featured its suits as well as Hickey Freeman which was owned by Hart Shaffner. Hart Shaffner became Hartmarx which also owned Tripler's and another chain, Roots. The retail stores were sold to another company which eventually went bust.

It was the type of place where a businessman would come at least twice a year for seasonal clothing, typically the fall for the fall-winter clothing and the spring for spring-summer. The emphasis was on quality make and tailored fit rather than high style.

Wallachs's passing in 1995 marked the ominous beginnings of the casual cancer trend.
My first father in law opened an office machine business. He shopped at Wallach's. He wore Hickey. He had no sense of fashion or style. He knew he had to wear a nice suit. And the customer service was good.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
My first father in law opened an office machine business. He shopped at Wallach's. He wore Hickey. He had no sense of fashion or style. He knew he had to wear a nice suit. And the customer service was good.

This is why proper business dress has died as have the stores that sold it.

It used to be that any salesman or owner of a company had to wear a suit and tie. It was the uniform. It was the accepted clothing of a gentleman. This is no longer the case. Now salesman see prospects in shirt sleeves and sneakers.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Knize shop in Vienna has a sign, as of a few years ago,
that says they have a New York branch. The NY store actually
closed in 1970, according to a sales person in Vienna.
One further note.

My first summer job at about age 14 was at Wallachs on Main Street in
Flushing. I was hired to assist salesmen during their Summer Sale. Among other duties, I had the responsibility to write down the alteration
tailor's instructions while he measured customers. Every day I wore a
tweed sport coat, because the only other tailored clothing I owned was
my Bar Mitzvah suit from Rogers Peet, which no longer fit. Fortunately,
the store was air conditioned.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why proper business dress has died as have the stores that sold it.

It used to be that any salesman or owner of a company had to wear a suit and tie. It was the uniform. It was the accepted clothing of a gentleman. This is no longer the case. Now salesman see prospects in shirt sleeves and sneakers.

My Dad was a dentist whose office was one block from our home. He
worked in a white jacket that closed at the neck. When he went home
for lunch he put on a suit jacket and a tie, sometimes a clip-on bow,for
the three minute walk. He shopped at Rogers Peet and later Paul Stuart.
At both he had "his" salesman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads