• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Many Shirt Wearings Per Ironing?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
yuck, you don't wash a shirt after each wearing?
It is beyond me how someone could participate in a clothes forum but not feel the need to wash a shirt after each wearing...

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pretty much the only reason I hire my cleaning lady is to iron my shirts (cleaning the bathroom is the other 'only' reason). Worth every penny.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
yuck, you don't wash a shirt after each wearing?

Nope - as someone posted on the Body Consciousness forum - "honest sweat does not smell."

I've never had a problem with wearing shirts twice before having them cleaned when I wear an undershirt.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to tell you the truth some people seem to just sweat less or have very dry skin (read: white people), which I could possibly conceive would not have to wash a shirt after wearing it. So I'm not gonna tell you it's necessarily YUCK like aportnoys collar on pg 1 (resized for maximu effect) as for myself, there is no way in hell I could do that. I am a greaseball. The undershirt area is not the issue, the issue is the collar. I wore a white shirt for 4 hours at a wedding and i had to pretreat the collar with stainstick and soak it in oxyclean after I took it off.
aportnoyscollar.jpg

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2 points:

1) Wash the shirt every time. Period. You sweat and the shirt gets dirty. It's really a sanitary issue. If you don't want to iron every time then either buy non-iron shirts (I know, I know) or find an excellent laundry services that will wash (not dry clean) the shirts and iron them by hand.

2) Own enough shirts where:

A) You rotate enough of them, thus they will last quite a few years
B) You have enough of them all pressed and hanging in the closet to last at least 1 ½ weeks worth of wearing before you have to wash or iron the shirts.

Jon.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's why our cleaners come every Saturday to drop off the clean stuff and pick up the dirty laundry bags. That's also a new job created right there
smile.gif

yeah, you know where I live: no one would want to do that job. Damn lazy bastards are better off welfare.
devil.gif

!luc

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I only wear my shirts once and then I iron the myself. In the summer months, I wear polo shirts 3-4 times a week. My shirts have thin cotton so the ironing is fairly easy.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
no one would want to do that job.
here in the states we have a Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill you might be interested in. NWT, we're not using it. Paypal only please.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
no one would want to do that job
Actually, I doubt it. The delivery guy seems pretty happy with the $3 tip he makes for every drop-off. I cannot imagine he makes less than $100 in tips only every Saturday

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
(considering that many SFers' wardrobes contains dozens of them)

this doesn't matter, if you think about it. the number of shirts you own would be irrelevant towards the number of times you iron, assuming you wash and iron a shirt after each wearing.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
arnach: Kind of Blue is great music, period. Whether ironing or anything else.
smile.gif

As for the idea of wearing an unwashed shirt, never have done that. At least with dress shirts and especially not at work. I have woken up in a woman's bed and put on the same dress shirt from the night before but that's an entirely different matter.

In short, I agree with those who would not wear an unwashed shirt to work. I also agree that the comparison to suits is flawed.

BTW, I probably would not have bothered to reply to this thread had it not been for the chance to praise Miles's great music.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Not 100% sure but I believe shirts are $1.75 or $2 for normal service and $3.50 for hand press

$3.50 for hand press is outstanding. Doubly so in Manhattan.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
$3.50 for hand press is outstanding. Doubly so in Manhattan.

Yeah, my guy is $5, and he's a hole in the wall uptown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads