• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many SFers enjoy visiting the local record stores?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
This sentence frag is a beauty!

I love(d?
frown.gif
) record stores but I fear they won't be around in a couple of years.

AF, check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Old-Rare-New-I...0333832&sr=1-1

It's rather anglocentric, but still a nice read....

Looks like a cool book Roma. Thanks I will check it out.

Yes, I slipped into record engineering speak.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
My tastes, and purchases are minimal and tame... but given the time and money I could spend an entire day @ Size Records back home in OKC.

I'd hate to think what I'd do if I lived near an Amoeba, or in Austin.

-rF

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
My tastes, and purchases are minimal and tame... but given the time and money I could spend an entire day @ Size Records back home in OKC.

I'd hate to think what I'd do if I lived near an Amoeba, or in Austin.

-rF

Waterloo Records in Austin is pretty good.

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
I do whenever I can. Unfortunately, there aren't too record many stores down here in my slice of America.

I've got Goner and Shangri-La an hour away in Memphis, but that's about it.

I agree with you about the general record shopping experience, though. It seems like both shoppers and employees at a record store are an order of magnitude more polite and helpful than most. It's almost as if everyone in the store knows they are members of a fragile and failing club. Rising record sales notwithstanding.

I was at Pitchfork in Chicago a couple weeks ago, and there was a large tent set up with quite a few record vendors--both used and new pressings from smaller labels. It was a blast looking through everything. There really isn't any digital/CD/iTunes equivalent to flipping the next record forward and seeing behind it an album you've been looking for forever.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I try to do a lot of my music shopping at local record stores, especially for vinyl. Athens being a college town, we have a couple of decent ones. My personal favorite is Wuxtry, at least partially because it's where Michael Stipe met Peter Buck.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to still have a pretty good one here in town. They have (relatively) lots of rarer and used items, so it's good for us music lovers. I don't know how long they'll last, though.

Originally Posted by fredfred
Not sure if you are still in NYC... but Tower Records (village and union square) are gone.

Holy crap...TOWER is gone???

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
I stop by the Electric Fetus whenever I'm in the area.

Which one? Minneapolis? I'm glad they're still open. I hear Orjomorphipus (sp?) is gone, though.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Yep. St. Cloud location too.

I didn't know they had one in St. Cloud. I'll be there in a month visiting a friend (we'll be going to Weird Al in St. Paul). I'll have to check it out.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
what happened to those Blockbuster Music i think they were called where you can go in and peruse and just ask them to rip open up any cd so you can play it as many times as you want, then they place it back into the cd case and then sell it to someone else as brand new??

those were the bomb.

Gee, how could they ever have gone out of business?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jeebus, I don't think I've been in a proper record store, with a good selection, in...years. Soundwaves was pretty nifty, back when I lived in that part of town, but now it's a damn commute to get there.

Last record store I was in was that used disc shop in Notting Hill, London, specializing in classical.

coachvu

Reaction score
I go to them all in the time. I like several of the Newbury Comics locations in MA as well as Stereo Jacks in Cambridge, Amoeba Records in SF, Grimey's in Nashville, just to name some of my favorites.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads