• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many of you wear or take off your suits while driving?

CustomWorks

Reaction score
Hey, sorry if this has been covered before.. But I was curious .. do you take off your SC or suit jacket before driving?

Due, to
a) making the suit shiney (seatbelt)
b) all the creases it leaves

I'm not so worried about the creases as I am the seatbelt making my suit shiney.. has this happened to anyone before?

It's a hassle always taking off your suit jacket before driving and putting it back on during the winter weather.. i find it way too cold!

So I guess my question is, how much damage am I really doing to it while wearing it and driving? I've heard stories about people's suit getting shiney across the chest where the seat belt lies..

on another note.. anyone have some good links on the best ways to care for your suits?

I just purchased some new MTM stuff.. and while i believe in wearing my clothing and getting good use out of it. I also want to take care of it as best as possible.

Unfortuantely I can't make new suits all the time, so i have to try my best to prolong what I have.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless it's hot I don't take my jacket off.

The belt shouldn't be rubbing all the time. Don't worry be happy

ddsg

Reaction score
They sell jacket hangers that attach to the back of your headrest.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In summer, I take the jacket off probably 80+% of the time, more out of habit/comfort than any particular worry about shine (I'm not really in a car for long enough to get this problem, I don't think). I don't hang it up though; I just lay it down on the passenger seat. The hanger in the back seems a little too careful, in the same way that it is too often found in a BMW with the model number removed from the back to make it appear more expensive. No offence to anyone who does use a hanger; that's just the (I'm sure, unfair) association I happen to have developed with it. In any event, the jacket doesn't crease from lying on the seat, at least not so's I've noticed.

In winter, it (and the overcoat) stays on as it always takes a few minutes for the car to heat up and I don't want to feel cold.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should change the title of this thread - few would remove their suits and wear something else entirely., I do however remove the coat for comfort. The other benefits follow but comfort is the prime reason.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remove my suit jacket and place/hang it it the back. I generally keep on my suit pants...

buzzron

Reaction score
I do remove it and let it hang in the car. I'm just more comfortable and used to it.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remove my suit jacket and place/hang it it the back. I generally keep on my suit pants...

But why?

I find that keeping the jacket on and removing my pants provides the optimal driving experience.

For serious though, when I used to drive I would just wear the suit jacket unless it was hot.

swiego

Reaction score
I remove the jacket, mostly because it's a tight fit (bucket seats) and a long ride (60-90 minutes) and the jacket gets a bit crushed.

I also make sure the tie hangs over the seatbelt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads