• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
17.5 in 85-90 degree weather with 1700 feet of climbing!
Beautiful day and a beautiful run today in So Cal - I wish I had had a camera at the top of range!
83 miles for the week.
mylesmyles - were you running an ultra today???

edit: just went nuts on runningwarehouse.com - picked up 1 pair Nike Streak 2 (marathon race shoe hopefully?) 1 pair Hyperspeed 4 and 1 pair Nike Streak XC (dayglo - I think I will just wear these casually until I wear out my other ones) Also copped a new Nike Race Singlet, at the risk of dressing 1 minute per mile faster than I actually run . . .

mylesmyles

Reaction score
^No - the ultra is this coming Saturday (TNFEC at Bear Mountain 50 miler)

So in my infinite wisdom I went up there both days this weekend. Saturday took it easy and ran a calm 6 miles in 1:45 with my fiancee. Then I went back Sunday and ran 8.96 miles in 1:40 with over 3,800 feet of elevation change. This would all be well and good except for the fact that I CRASHED about a mile from my car on the way back on a rocky/ technical downhill section. I ended up busting my lip (I'm amazed I didn't lose a tooth/ teeth), gashed my left had, have a massive bruise on my left thigh, have a bruise/ cut on my left chest and have a bruised right kneecap. Awesome.

Since it's a taper week for me anyway I'm thinking I'll be fine for Saturday (the left thigh is the only injury that may linger), but mentally it's not the best event to have happen before a race like this. I was seriously rattled.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had an awesome few runs over the weekend.
9 miles on Sat. Bonked pretty hard (remember no carbs...fok it hurt) at around 7 miles, ran out of water too. It was 70 degrees and blue sky.
Trying to fit in as many miles I can before surgery at the end of the week.
T-5 days to ankle surgery.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYRR Queens Half Marathon (Late July) and Bronx Half Marathon (late August) registrations are open!

I don't know it these two will be closed as quick as the Brooklyn Half (what seemed like less than a week). But I assume probably not because of the God Awful weather you can expect in late July/August.

I signed up Queens Half. Hopefully the Bronx will still be open after I run the Queens and I'll still feel like I can run it.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that fall mylesmyles - I hope that your recovery comes along quickly!
9 today at a crawl on account of the 90 degree mid-day heat. This is as hot as it will get all summer, so it is reassuring to know that I can get decent quality training in without having to wakeup pre-dawn.
Can't wait to get my Nike streak 3's tomorrow - I have heard a ton of good things about them.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone help with a training plan?

I am running 3.5 miles on May 26th. I am not a fan of running but I am not out of shape. I did this last year and made the 3.5 miles in 25:10 after having done 5 or 6 training runs in the 2-3.5 mile range (mostly so I wouldn't get DOMS the next day or have other nasties show up). I just want to do better this year.

I mostly ride bikes. Weekends until then will probably be reserved for many-hour training rides so I'll be running weeknights (and probably not every night....I'll be honest here). May still be commuting by bike to and from work many of those days as well (but my commute isn't so long to really qualify as exercise)

Any tips for how to plan this beyond just running? Should I space in some recovery? When should I go for my final run before the race?

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Can anyone help with a training plan?

I am running 3.5 miles on May 26th. I am not a fan of running but I am not out of shape. I did this last year and made the 3.5 miles in 25:10 after having done 5 or 6 training runs in the 2-3.5 mile range (mostly so I wouldn't get DOMS the next day or have other nasties show up). I just want to do better this year.

I mostly ride bikes. Weekends until then will probably be reserved for many-hour training rides so I'll be running weeknights (and probably not every night....I'll be honest here). May still be commuting by bike to and from work many of those days as well (but my commute isn't so long to really qualify as exercise)

Any tips for how to plan this beyond just running? Should I space in some recovery? When should I go for my final run before the race?

Depending on what you are trying to do you have a ton of options. If you just want to feel comfortable over the distance, running a couple of miles every other day will get you there within a month. If you run 3 days a week consistently you will be good to go. If you want to race it and perform your best, you will want to look at a more structured program as a part of which you will be running a certain number of miles (20-40 for a 5k) every week with speed/strength/long sessions worked in regularly. I would just start by running as many days a week as you feel comfortable with for a few weeks and from there decide what to do. Local running clubs will also usually have track workouts on tuesday nights where you can go get some input from those in the know - that has been a really helpful thing for me. Your cycling aerobic fitness should help you a ton also.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
Depending on what you are trying to do you have a ton of options. If you just want to feel comfortable over the distance, running a couple of miles every other day will get you there within a month. If you run 3 days a week consistently you will be good to go. If you want to race it and perform your best, you will want to look at a more structured program as a part of which you will be running a certain number of miles (20-40 for a 5k) every week with speed/strength/long sessions worked in regularly. I would just start by running as many days a week as you feel comfortable with for a few weeks and from there decide what to do. Local running clubs will also usually have track workouts on tuesday nights where you can go get some input from those in the know - that has been a really helpful thing for me. Your cycling aerobic fitness should help you a ton also.

Yeah, it is definitely not an issue of getting across the line...I think it is pacing that will have the biggest effect on my time.

Gotta figure out how to put my effort at a point where I'll be dead after the finish but not before.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.8k, 49:22 min, between 10-15min I ran 1.1 k, elsewhere I was (far) slower.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads