• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you get a SUPER crisp presidential fold that lasts all day?

tcmquincy

Reaction score
I wear a sports jacket almost every day for work and with a pocket square 90% of the time. I almost exclusively wear silk pocket squares in a "puff" fold or a white linen pocket square with a presidential fold. However, with the linen presidential folds I find myself re-adjusting more often (generally raising it back up if it falls a bit). Additionally, I have a hard time getting it to stay super straight, flat, and crisp like I see other men wearing it. I have tried ironing which helped a bit but still doesn't quite get me the look I am hoping to achieve. I will also add that for my white-linen pocket squares I am using pretty cheap ones from thetiebar but want to make sure I am not missing something else before I invest in a different brand.

Any advice on presidential folds is appreciated!

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
You presume we know what a presidential fold is, but I don't though I assume it's just something straight across so cut out a piece of cereal box the width of the breast pocket and a little bit higher, then fold the cloth around that and staple it at the bottom.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You presume we know what a presidential fold is, but I don't though I assume it's just something straight across so cut out a piece of cereal box the width of the breast pocket and a little bit higher, then fold the cloth around that and staple it at the bottom.

Staple it?

:brick:

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Staple it?

:brick:
Absolutely. Four are suggested. Leave marks when undone? Probably, so don't undo it, what else are you using it for?

Shouldn't you be watching tv?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Absolutely. Four are suggested. Leave marks when undone? Probably, so don't undo it, what else are you using it for?

Shouldn't you be watching tv?

That is a ridiculous suggestion.

And I can multitask.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
^
Explain yourself.
Have you done this? Of course not, it's difficult to do while watching TV. I've done this a half dozen times, taken necktie cloth, really nice stuff but I've got too many, cut apart, wrapped it around a piece of a Cheerio box, stuffed it in the breast pocket and voila, la, la.

Now don't go getting all New York hissie, you're my go to guy for Dead People News, don't wanna lose you.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stapling your pocket square to a piece of cardboard, just to make it stay up, is utterly idiotic. In fact, using contraptions such as carboard, pocket square holders, etc, etc. is just as idiotic, and very contrived.

1) Get a white linen pocket square for your presidential fold. It will be heavier than your silk one, more robust, and will stay in place more easily.
2) If your in-breast pocket is too deep, then invest in a larger pocket square.
3) Don't obsess over perfect evenness. You move throughout the day, your clothes will move with you and that's normal.

The charm of pocket squares, even when they're folded in a smart way, is that they're imperfect. Embrace that.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing much to add, except heavier, stiffer linen will work better for what you're trying to accomplish than lighter weight linen will.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pay for a quality linen pocket square.
Sam Hober should fit problem.
He make it very good.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
However, with the linen presidential folds I find myself re-adjusting more often (generally raising it back up if it falls a bit).

You could try a larger square (Kent Wang makes two sizes). Or you could try to make the last fold uneven -- fold the bottom half so that it hits the bottom and the top half still peks out. That might or might not work.

Additionally, I have a hard time getting it to stay super straight, flat, and crisp like I see other men wearing it.

These other men might not be wearing linen pocket squares. Hell, they might not even be wearing pocket squares at all. Some brands do weird lining that's supposed to stick out, others sew in an extra white bar over the pocket... all that **** is terrible. Real linen wrinkles and moves. You'll be okay.

I will also add that for my white-linen pocket squares I am using pretty cheap ones from thetiebar but want to make sure I am not missing something else before I invest in a different brand.

I doubt this is the problem.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Stapling your pocket square to a piece of cardboard, just to make it stay up, is utterly idiotic. In fact, using contraptions such as carboard, pocket square holders, etc, etc. is just as idiotic, and very contrived.
I would have thought I would have to have made much worse suggestions than I did to have been called idiotic twice in one paragraph, but apparently not.

Pocket squares are totally for show, right, we all agree on that and not very much shows, do we agree on that? So you could probably take any small hank of cloth to which you've taken a fancy and fold to your liking knowing that only a small portion will peek out, but to do that you need something beneath, like a filler of extra cloth or hey, how about a piece of Cheerio box. And if the idea of a staple makes you horrified, then you can actually, with a strong needle, hand sew the cloth to the cardboard, as I do. And what's really fun is to get a little drunk and shove it in upside down so only the Cherrio end shows, which unfortunately abstinence prevents me from doing, anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads