• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holy trinity of trainers

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
I prefer Nike and Adidas, but Converse must get run for street sneakers (Purcell/All Star). While I prefer Adidas for streetwear, I do see myself pulled to Nike retro styles. It seems that they put more technology into their retro sneakers (love Air Zoom Trainer right now) whereas Adidas puts little in. This makes a difference if you are walking a lot.

As to the running shoes, from the diehard runners (think those who subscribe to Runner's World), I would bet New Balance, Brooks, and Asics would be mentioned most for running. These brands would probably be mentioned because they focus on running.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
-retro Nike (Vandal etc)
-Adidas (Stan Smith etc)
-Converse

I appreciate stuff like Lanvins, CP and such, but I wouldn't spend full retail on most of them (well, might on some CPs). If I had that kind of money to spend on footwear, it'd go towards Aldens and C&Jones's and such.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Vans Authentics for street and Asics for Tennis/running. I'm not that picky about running shoes though as long as they are light and shock absorbing. I won't spend more than $50 for runners, I just buy new ones 2x's a year or so or whenever they crap out.

naaaaate

Reaction score
Only "street" shoes I'd ever dream of wearing are New Balances, probably 574 (I think that's the one). Classic, nerdy, mostly made in USA, made in wide sizes for my huge duck feet, and been with me for like half my life. I appreciate the aesthetics of a lot of other shoes and I'm not dissin' them in the least but nothing seems right on my feet except NB.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
raf astronaut trainers

RO hightops

common projects achilles

Chrispy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69
Running shoes
Like someone else mentioned on that other thread, Brooks are most definitely number one for running shoes. They are acknowledged by the running community worldwide as being foremost in the science and development of the running shoe. NB: I'm not talking about track shoes here.

1. Brooks
2. Adidas
3. Asics

I would go

1. Brooks
2. Asics
3. Mizuno

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by naaaaate
Only "street" shoes I'd ever dream of wearing are New Balances, probably 574 (I think that's the one). Classic, nerdy, mostly made in USA, made in wide sizes for my huge duck feet, and been with me for like half my life. I appreciate the aesthetics of a lot of other shoes and I'm not dissin' them in the least but nothing seems right on my feet except NB.

Word up.

For actual running, I've only ever worn Asics and Brooks.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
actual running
saucony
asics

streetwear
chuck taylor
jack purcell
samba's

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love high fashion sneakers but IMO these match almost any outfit and I can beat them to death and replace them easily:

- Converse chucks (hi tops only) and Jack Purcells (lows only)
- Vans era
- Adidas stan smiths vintage (you can talk about Lanvin and CPs, but they are basically remodeled hi-end stan smiths)

You might throw in classic German army sneaks or other Vans models but they aren't as versatile.

For running, I quite the avid runner (3-5 miles every 1-2 days). So far Asics are still the best for me. Mizuno, Brooks, New Balance, Saucony all come in second. Nike and Adidas seem too gimmicky and I haven't tried their running shoes before.

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Time for some photographic evidence I think.

I bought these dark blue beauties just before Christmas. I suddenly discovered that one of the small handful of shoe shops in Sweden selling a handful of Gola Classics was to my extreme surprise in my small home town!!! This classic style is modelled on an old track shoe. The (now fake) receivers for the four studs are seen in the sole. Unbelieveably comfortable due to the, as always, generous cut from Gola. I used to have Gola football boots as a kid

http://www.golaclassics.com/ProductD...rID=2024&Set=0

And these are my Puma's bought in the Autumn. The only difference is that I've put reggae/Jamaican (black, yellow, green) laces in mine.

http://www.planet-sports.com/images/...blackwhite.jpg

And here is one of my pairs of Adidas, in this case Adidas Spezial.
http://www.planet-sports.com/images/...nningwhite.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Jil Sander
Raf Simons

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I like Gola but never got around to buying a pair

They're a British classic mate, interesting history behind them. Very popular in the 60s, especially the classic Harrier model. Then in the 90s they had a kind of rebirth with indie and Britpop with the Oasis boys famously wearing them. http://www.golaclassics.com/History.asp

This is my favourite story from the Gola history site: "Shankly's famous Liverpool team stopped off at the Gola factory on their way to the FA Cup final at Wembley for some free boots. Adidas approached the team at Wembley and paid them to wear their boots. The cheeky scousers took Adidas' money but did not wear their boots, instead they painted Adidas stripes onto their Gola boots and went on to win the cup. "

rbny

Reaction score
Current trainers in my rotation:

-New Balance (992/Grey)
-Adidas Stan Smith (White)
-Common Projects Achilles (White; Dk Brown)

Any suggestions for cleaning white trainers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads