• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hic et ubique?

...never shall,
With arms encumber’d thus, or this head-shake,
Or by pronouncing of some doubtful phrase,
As ‘Well, we know’, or ‘We could and if we would’,
Or ‘If we list to speak’; or ‘There be and if they might’,
Or such ambiguous giving out...

(my most sincere apologies Monsieur Alain for breaking my promise again)

Ubique

twistoffat

Reaction score

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The gods do this in shame of cowardice.
Caesar should be a beast without a heart
If he should stay at home today for fear.

deathofcaesar.0.0 (2).jpg

No double monks though...

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

themanfromLisbon

Reaction score
Very elegantly done sir. A LOT going on but all done in chorus like a well oiled orchestra.

Alan Bee
Thanks a lot, Alan. Very nice of you.

(as for the “a lot going on”, it’s a very usual thought among us, but, I don’t know if you use to go to Pitti - Sorry, but I’ve been away from the forum a long time, so I’m not updated with the news here - but if you go there, you will see what really is “too much going on” )

Cheers

Vic

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks man! It was made to the same specs, so if the length is any different it would be by a minuscule amount. Hits the same place on my thumb. Just goes to show what the photo angle and slight variations in other visual cues can do to change the perception of length. Or maybe there's no such thing as length at all...

giphy.gif

This nicely demonstrates my assertion that suit jackets (all things being equal, not suggesting this for you particularly, etc.) can be a bit longer and look right because they are part of a continuous flow of color/pattern. The odd jacket's contrast with the pants more clearly bisects the body, giving more visual weight at the same length. The one piece I had made is on the shorter side of acceptable for me for this reason.

I think you've settled on a great length that makes the right compromises for you.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dalevy Thanks! It was a thrifted RLPL that became kind of a project and turned out to be one of my favorite pieces. And yours is gorgeous as well, I’ve been looking for something more in the chocolate brown range in a winter weight as this one has some olive to it. Also I know you are Bay based, the ramen spot is called Yuzu in Emeryville.

@Blake Stitched Blues I agree, I even have a denim shirt that is a few shades lighter and washed, but I’ve had this shirt hanging out for a while in my closet just itching to be worn.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about French blue shirts the other day. I remember when then were fairly common. The feel dated to me now though. Thoughts?

I like ‘em. Not so much for business but for a dressed up night out a French/royal blue shirt under a navy (or even black - yikes!) suit looks fine to me. I get what you mean that they very much remind one of the mid-nineties Pierce Brosnan in the Thomas Crown remake but he looks pretty close to flawless in that entire film for me, (with the exception of the sarong and the suede jacket and dad jeans!)

But this brings up a secondary point. How come people who’s threads are heavily influenced by ‘Ivy style’ - which is a look that dates at least to the sixties if not earlier - get a free pass if not accolades on SF, but those who adopt other influences from the past such as French blue shirts or @SplurgeFrugal and his nineties blazers seem to get negative critique. What makes one influence from past decades (@Tibor from the forties or @Roycru from whenever he bought his suits) get almost universal praise and others like Splurge get criticised? Splurge’s execution is good so his influences are no more or less valid than others IMO.

And that brings me back to my enduring puzzlement as to why slim lapels get dogs abuse from the SF inner circle but post a pic in a Travolta-esque jacket with Saturday Night Fever lapels and you can rely on the thumbs and positive comments flying in!

Edit - added a couple of pics from the blog ...

[Steps down off soap box!]

A9C0FAD1-4571-4743-9A1E-407805D85BB0.jpeg

837900B6-95C7-41CF-9A04-F6BCED486A8B.jpeg

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about French blue shirts the other day. I remember when then were fairly common. The feel dated to me now though. Thoughts?
I like French blue. I also understand what you’re saying. To me French blue shirts don’t seem dated if you’re wearing them with elements that are more classical.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads