• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will do, thanks. Do you think they work with the jacket? Just so you guys understand, im a complete novice. I bought this jacket months ago and only now Ill have the opportunity to wear them. Also, would a shiny silky tie such as those funny ferragamo ones work? Are they really dorky in your book (assuming so?)

And shirtwise, would an ocbd work or should i wear a more dressy one like the one in the pic?

Thanks!

Blue and grey is a great classic, can't go wrong with it. The jacket seems a good fit, the trousers are too long and slim in my eyes. I would wear a shirt with spread collar (more formal), but the tips of the collar should ideally reach under the jacket.

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blue and grey is a great classic, can't go wrong with it. The jacket seems a good fit, the trousers are too long and slim in my eyes. I would wear a shirt with spread collar (more formal), but the tips of the collar should ideally reach under the jacket.
Thanks. I’ll replace those trousers asap. Agree 100% with it being too slim, too long. Thanks for the help guys.

Ps: anyone has recommendations of shops within the same price range of suitsupply and spier & mackay in south korea and japan?

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earthy.

IMG_8188.jpeg

IMG_8189.jpeg

IMG_8187.jpeg

IMG_8185.jpeg

IMG_8182.jpeg

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2142435

Guys,

I’m slowly starting to build my wardrobe. First items were the Alden 975s and this sports coat from Suitsupply — which I think is tight on the shoulders.

I want to wear odd jackets and trousers in a more casual way. Do you think this outfit works? I’m getting married tomorrow (only a legal ceremony, the big wedding is months away) and I’m planning to wear this.

Thanks so much for the help!
Yeah I can't put my finger on it but the lower half seems off. I think the other comments covered some of it:

* Press the pants
* The pants should be wider and fuller
* I think the jacket should be shorter? Not sure if it's the angle but your legs look short and disproportional to your top. Your torso looks long, and the only thing around that are fully and taller pants (but the pants don't need to be taller so much as your jacket needs to expose more pants by being shorter).

I think that would help?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I’ll replace those trousers asap. Agree 100% with it being too slim, too long. Thanks for the help guys.

Ps: anyone has recommendations of shops within the same price range of suitsupply and spier & mackay in south korea and japan?
Check out LaMarche and Andrea Seoul - just a little more expensive than Spier and SuitSupply but regularly have sales that bring them closer to the price and leaps and bounds better.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Father Style

Reaction score
Will do, thanks. Do you think they work with the jacket? Just so you guys understand, im a complete novice. I bought this jacket months ago and only now Ill have the opportunity to wear them. Also, would a shiny silky tie such as those funny ferragamo ones work? Are they really dorky in your book (assuming so?)

And shirtwise, would an ocbd work or should i wear a more dressy one like the one in the pic?

Thanks!

I think you’re off to a great start! The color combo of grey pants with a navy jacket is as classic as it gets and will always look good.
The jacket doesn’t look too tight to me. I think it looks very nice.
I really like the tie you’ve chosen. It’s simple, elegant, and understated.
Love the shoes! Dark brown brogues go with almost everything.
As far as the shirt collar, yes an OCBD would work fine as well as a spread collar with somewhat longer points (but that’s a minor quibble).
The most obvious area of improvement, as others have stated, is the fit of the trousers, but they’d probably look decent enough with a good press. For future trouser purchases, opt for something with a little more room.
Just iron those trousers and you should feel confident wearing this outfit to get married. Congrats!

FatherStyle.com

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a most pedestrian of Monday mornings and afternoons, my evening will be a bit more eventful, as I am attending this evening the centennial evening benefit for the Morgan Library, celebrating its 100 years as an institution open to the public. As I've not attended an evening dinner with the heavy hitters at the Morgan before, I toned down the "creativity" of my attire a bit, hoping not to make of myself a social pariah at first glance alone. We shall see what sort of event this turns out to be.

Tuxedo - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Budd, London
Cufflinks - Niletti Creations, NYC
Studs - Etsy
Waistcoat - Favourbrook
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson
Shoes - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue
Overcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Ede & Ravenscroft
Hat - Lock, London