• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted anything here.

My first bespoke order (in late 2019) was a double breasted navy suit. For first forays into bespoke, it wasn't bad - a bit too structured and a more narrow cut than I prefer today, but still fully wearable. Except, even in the pre-pandemic days, it was probably a tad too formal. Post-pandemic, I think I've worn it three times.

So I got the idea of turning it into a club blazer. First wear after the tailor was done with it. The buttons are golden with a center of blue enamel - I'm still making up my mind on whether that was a good idea.

Now be honest: would you buy a used car from this man?

IMG_0072.JPG

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted anything here.

My first bespoke order (in late 2019) was a double breasted navy suit. For first forays into bespoke, it wasn't bad - a bit too structured and a more narrow cut than I prefer today, but still fully wearable. Except, even in the pre-pandemic days, it was probably a tad too formal. Post-pandemic, I think I've worn it three times.

So I got the idea of turning it into a club blazer. First wear after the tailor was done with it. The buttons are golden with a center of blue enamel - I'm still making up my mind on whether that was a good idea.

Now be honest: would you buy a used car from this man?

View attachment 1880514

On the conservative side, but rather good looking.
No, I hadn't replaced the buttons with those ones, as I dislike metal buttons. If you want to have something flashier, I think that mother-of-pearl is the right choice.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome trip! How’d you like Como? We were just there for the New Year holiday. Beautiful place!
Como is lovely, as is the entire region, of course. We were hosted by one of the major figures in the Como silk industry. We toured a silk weaving mill, a silk printing operation, and a factory (workshop?) that makes ties for some very high-end brands, which was utterly fascinating. We also learned quite a bit about the silk business and the effects that the pandemic has had on that business (which are profound). We also toured Como's Silk Museum, which I highly recommend for anyone remotely interested in the history of silk and silk making.

And, of course, Como is just a delightful town to wander around. There is a beautiful, high renaissance Duomo, some interesting "Italian Bauhaus" structures still existing, and much else to see.

Professor_3

Reaction score
Como is lovely, as is the entire region, of course. We were hosted by one of the major figures in the Como silk industry. We toured a silk weaving mill, a silk printing operation, and a factory (workshop?) that makes ties for some very high-end brands, which was utterly fascinating. We also learned quite a bit about the silk business and the effects that the pandemic has had on that business (which are profound). We also toured Como's Silk Museum, which I highly recommend for anyone remotely interested in the history of silk and silk making.

And, of course, Como is just a delightful town to wander around. There is a beautiful, high renaissance Duomo, some interesting "Italian Bauhaus" structures still existing, and much else to see.
There’s nothing like traveling in style! Haha… Como is indeed lovely. We were mostly in Milan but have close family friends in Como and spent the new year with them in Como. We stayed at the DBH Duomo Boutique hotel right next to the Duomo. It was nice to see Como guided by locals. It really is a town or village but there’s so much history it’s almost hard to comprehend. Our friend is a retired architect and author which added another level to the tour. We even made pasta and pomodoro sauce from scratch. The highlight was definitely when they took us onto the lake in their boat to Bellagio. The cobbled lanes, Loppia beach, San Giacomo church, and Villa Serbellini Park. Stunning views followed by an amazing lunch. Truly amazing!

I agree, you certainly can see the impact Covid has had on the region. But I’m certain they’ll recover. Como’s Christmas Market is magical. Much smaller than Milans but of course Milan’s Christmas Market is the oldest in Europe.

The silk museum was on our list but it was closed for the holiday when we were in Como. Another reason to make a return visit.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
On the conservative side, but rather good looking.
No, I hadn't replaced the buttons with those ones, as I dislikes metal buttons. If you want to have something flashier, I think that mother-of-pearl is the right choice.

Thank you! Definitely conservative, and I find in some cases I just want to embrace that. I enjoy the casual ways to wear tailoring as much as anyone (and looking at my collection of knitwear, flanel trousers and casual coats, more than many), but sometimes you just need to embrace your grey hair, give in to the fact that some nostalgia is ok :)

I was EXTREMELY split about the metal buttons (they always remind me about a certain type of account manager that I use to work with...), but in this case the goal was to turn it into a club blazer. MoP buttons would just be making it flashy, but club blazers exist in a (granted, mostly anachronistic) frame of reference - they are more of a casual jacket, where as MoP buttons would risk looking like I was just trying to make my suit a bit more exciting... and I've given up all hopes of being exciting.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vidaliaJule