• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yeah great pic Timo. I was ready to pull the trigger on that same suit a couple of months ago and it suddenly vanished from all SS media as they made room for the new AW stuff. I'm sure there's a warehouse full of them somewhere but it remains a mystery to me.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be more worried about the affiliates (or ex) here that actually screw their customers over like Howard Yount, TOJ and Passaggio Cravatte than on what other forums I occasionally post on.

Fwiw myself and a few other SF regulars like @Journeyman have been trying to inject some positivity in to the place for some time and often speak up against the few resident grumble bums.

The only other thing I'll say is that there are many things written on SF that I don't "condone" either so I'm not sure why you'd assume that's the case over there, or anywhere for that matter.
I'll say my accusation may have been a bit premature to state, but I was going off my first impression. I truly have no idea what the core values are of that other forum, and after poking around for 5-10 minutes, I'm still not understanding why it was created. To each his own, and that forum seems to be operating with enough active members, that I suppose it does serve a purpose for some. I just did not understand. Maybe shed some light on the history, as I seem to not be the only one curious about its existence.

I might join to see what all the fuss is about, but why does everyone hate everyone and everything there? Is there some history I'm missing?
+1, there did seem to be some hate directed towards some here. And who knows, maybe it was valid, as I am not an extreme activist across the board on SF to understand all talking points directed towards some.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
On a personal level, I like a lot of the posters there. And I greatly enjoyed their snark when directed at professional iGents and the like. But their occasional collective action against folks whose crimes amounted to nothing more than being dislikable (to some) or awkward (to some) was something I eventually felt ****** about condoning (and despite my attempts to inject nuanced positivity, along with folks like EFV, HC, and journeyman, I did eventually feel like my participation there condoned, in a way, some of their less reasonable endeavors).

It would be great if that forum grows out of its need to be defined by its fondness for ridicule (which is not to say become a rainbow infused lovefest) because it has the potential to provide a nice counter note to SF, something which AAAC and FNB aren't really capable of.

Last edited:

gavspen

Reaction score

On a personal level, I like a lot of the posters there. And I greatly enjoyed their snark when directed at professional iGents and the like. But their occasional collective action against folks whose crimes amounted to nothing more than being dislikable (to some) or awkward (to some) was something I eventually felt ****** about condoning (and despite my attempts to inject nuanced positivity, along with folks like EFV, HC, and journeyman, I did eventually feel like my participation there condoned, in a way, some of their less reasonable endeavors).

I had thought at first that the forum being referred to was one of the forums here. Glad at least that it wasnt the members here saying such rotten things about DC (and others). I did take a look, and some of the snark can be very entertaining when directed at the pros, as you point out, but it can also be hideously cruel and just plain rude.

Last edited:

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll say my accusation may have been a bit premature to state, but I was going off my first impression.  I truly have no idea what the core values are of that other forum, and after poking around for 5-10 minutes, I'm still not understanding why it was created.  To each his own, and that forum seems to be operating with enough active members, that I suppose it does serve a purpose for some.  I just did not understand.  Maybe shed some light on the history, as I seem to not be the only one curious about its existence.

Would be interested to know its history as well. Rambo seems to be active over there, he vanished from my sight at SF after he began his world tour a few years ago. What happened?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holy crap the cut on the jacket made you look 20 lbs slimmer, the strong shoulder and peaks really suit you!

Thanks. I am actually a good deal slimmer than I used to be or than some of my jackets and pics might suggest. This one fits particularly well and I finally got a good angle.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice MF & FM, inspiring indeed
nod[1].gif

I was sitting in a local pub-restaurant last night after work (still wearing the homespun tweed suit from post #9173 above) waiting for my wife and son to join me, when a guy who was leaving came up to me and said, 'I just wanted to tell you that your suit is absolutely wonderful'. I've had quite a few women I didn't know comment positively on what I was wearing but this is the first time a guy has done so.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was sitting in a local pub-restaurant last night after work (still wearing the homespun tweed suit from post #9173 above) waiting for my wife and son to join me, when a guy who was leaving came up to me and said, 'I just wanted to tell you that your suit is absolutely wonderful'. I've had quite a few women I didn't know comment positively on what I was wearing but this is the first time a guy has done so.

When a stranger compliments me on my dress I usually suspect it's not a good sign.

Perhaps I'm just a pessimist, but then again ...

Cheers,

Ac

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads