• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The question of whether or not the PS in question should be liked, or is, or is not, liked by anyone personally, is not as interesting (I think) as whether or not it is an individualistic move to wear it. I don't think it is. I have seen pocket squares like that before, worn by many people on and off SF, all were #menswear guys. There is nothing wrong with being a #menswear guy. It should go without saying that if you like it then that is fine. However, the frayed PS is something that I have seen many times before. It goes back to what I said before, individuality is often mass produced. This has nothing to do with whether your square was a one of a kind, handmade square, crafted by the Dali Lama, of course. It's a known style. All that said, I liked your fit (aside from the PS. Not because it was too "individual" but precisely because it seemed like it was trying to be different without actually achieving it).

Last edited:

Chawk806

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand my pocket square was relatively splitting/divisive. In no way is this coming from a place of defensiveness (as I like my choice and am happy with it), rather I'll be using it as a means of a manifestation of our earlier discussion of individuality in classic menswear. Of course, an obvious choice for many over my irish linen cockatoo would be white linen in a tv fold. Whatever words you can use to describe my square (flamboyant, outlandish, over-the-top, etc.), a white linen square fits the aesthetic one can go for. Wouldn't a white linen square just fit seamlessly with a white/black houndstooth suit? Of course.

But the choice of a cockatoo? WTF?!

I work in a casual office environment, yet I'm wearing classic menswear garb (because I like to and I enjoy it). I take these small opportunities to "dress down". My utilization of a more idiosyncratic square fits the general "guidelines" or "rules" of CM, while allows me my own individuality and sense of style.

Feel free to still not like it :). My goal is not to make you like my choice. My goal is to continue our discussion with, as I said, a physical manifestation of our aforementioned theoretical perspectives.

Very well put!! Looked great to me.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question of whether or not the PS in question should be liked, or is, or is not, liked by anyone personally, is not as interesting (I think) as whether or not it is an individualistic move to wear it. I don't think it is. I have seen pocket squares like that before, worn by many people on and off SF, all were #menswear guys. There is nothing wrong with being a #menswear guy. It should go without saying that if you like it then that is fine. However, the frayed PS is something that I have seen many times before. It goes back to what I said before, individuality is often mass produced. This has nothing to do with whether your square was a one of a kind, handmade square, crafted by the Dali Lama, of course. It's a known style. All that said, I liked your fit (aside from the PS. Not because it was too "individual" but precisely because it seemed like it was trying to be different without actually achieving it).

I agree, I don't think there is anything "one-of-a-kind" about me wearing this square, and I didn't mean to imply that. I suppose when I say "individualistic", I mean adding something a little out of the ordinary without breaking guidelines/rules.

Marsay

Reaction score
I understand my pocket square was relatively splitting/divisive. In no way is this coming from a place of defensiveness (as I like my choice and am happy with it), rather I'll be using it as a means of a manifestation of our earlier discussion of individuality in classic menswear. Of course, an obvious choice for many over my irish linen cockatoo would be white linen in a tv fold. Whatever words you can use to describe my square (flamboyant, outlandish, over-the-top, etc.), a white linen square fits the aesthetic one can go for. Wouldn't a white linen square just fit seamlessly with a white/black houndstooth suit? Of course.

But the choice of a cockatoo? WTF?!

I work in a casual office environment, yet I'm wearing classic menswear garb (because I like to and I enjoy it). I take these small opportunities to "dress down". My utilization of a more idiosyncratic square fits the general "guidelines" or "rules" of CM, while allows me my own individuality and sense of style.

Feel free to still not like it :). My goal is not to make you like my choice. My goal is to continue our discussion with, as I said, a physical manifestation of our aforementioned theoretical perspectives.

Last edited:

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very well put!! Looked great to me.

Thank you both. I suppose what I find difficult to achieve is trying to mesh CM with some sense of casual-ness. I often admire people on here and IG who are able to achieve it very effectively.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I agree, I don't think there is anything "one-of-a-kind" about me wearing this square, and I didn't mean to imply that. I suppose when I say "individualistic", I mean adding something a little out of the ordinary without breaking guidelines/rules. 

I suppose the implication in all this is that wearing something out of the ordinary isn't necessarily individualistic. This reveals the truly difficult part about being an "individual." If it's really possible. Quite often, individualism looks discordant to the person who worries about rules. G. Bruce Boyer is a good example.

Chawk806

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you both. I suppose what I find difficult to achieve is trying to mesh CM with some sense of casual-ness. I often admire people on here and IG who are able to achieve it very effectively. 
I'm new at the complete process so I'm just trying to make it all in. Mostly casual at the office here too so trying to work it in that style. Cowboy boots in the past but working on it. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. I liked that PS. Dont know what all the fuss is about. 2.More stuff I enjoyed viewing today.
Coat and boots weather continues. Monday is dominated by blues and greys.
* coat from Henry Cottons * Suitsupply jacket and pants * Tyrwhitt * tie from Embassy of Elegance * ps from Poszetka * Yanko boots [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
Today with blue navy six fold and polka dots pocket square
Today, in New York, it is, as they proverbially, colder than the left ventricle of a disaffected sex worker (or, as they say in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, "coldah than a hawse haht"). To that end, I've donned my warmest suit and overcoat. Suit - BB MTM Shirt - Tyrwhitt Tie - Charvet PS - no name brand Cufflinks - BB Vintage watch chain Shoes - Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman Overcoat - BB Scarf - New & Lingwood Hat - Selentino via JJ Hat Center
Dodging the rain today...
Happy Monday SF! A few shots from the weekend
been a minute .... howdy fellas
Borrelli/Finamore/Drakes/Sam Hober

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow!!!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked the cockatoo. A linen TV fold would have been boring and too conformist, almost costume like. If we were at a party, I'd come over and ask you about it. Love the controversy, reminds me of that Churchill quote about enemies.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of different looks from last year never posted..A couple DB's and a Pinstripe..

SUIT: Corneliani

SHIRT: Luciano Barbera

TIE: Zegna.

SHOES: Salvatore Ferragamo

P.S: The Tie Bar

SUIT: Kiton

SHIRT: Eton

TIE: Brooks Brothers

SHOES: Church's

P.S: Tommy Hilfiger

LAPEL PIN: Nordstroms

SUIT: D'avenza

SHIRT: Barba Napoli

TIE: Hickey Freeman

SHOES: Allen Edmonds

P.S: Santostefano

LAPEL FLOWER: The tie bar..

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads