• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
please not to buy the matching PS and shirt combo sets. kthnx. ;)

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
please not to buy the matching PS and shirt combo sets. kthnx.
wink.gif
In my defense, if I'm allowed to have one, I don't buy these things at the same time. I have seersucker shorts, pants, sport coat, shirt, tie, bow-tie, and pocket square. They were all purchased at different times. I tend to gravitate toward certain patterns and colors as you may have noticed.

TartanBlackWatch.jpg

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try to wear this one in moderation, so no one is injured by the severity of the paisleys-- yet this one does prompt at least two compliments a day from men and women alike. Non forumites really seem to like this tie for some reason!

@Sander-- very few ties in my closet of a neat/ conservative pattern. Closest I have is a NMWA rust with gray dots or the TF ties, but I AM fond if solid color ties.

I think I'm wearing a loud/difficult to pair tie tomorrow.

Foxx, that is an ugly tie. But potentionally ugly in a good way. It would probably work well in the right context. Three piece or double breasted, where more fabric means less tie and the pattern is downplayed. As is, the much lighter jacket causes more attention to be placed on the tie.

JustinK, I think the same could be said for that tie. Provided it isn't shiny in real life. The shirt is too busy to ever work with a tie.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I really thought this combination would look better than it does. I may just abandon this jacket.
Solid navy knit or grenadine and that look hits it out o the park. Nothing wrong with the coat - it just has a lot of white in it. With that in mind you need to ground it in a solid dark color.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@SeaJen are those loakes?

Also totally agree with @NickPollica . I really like that jacket as it fits you quite well. Might require some more pairings to get right.

I'd probably use a PS with more blues or reds in it.

Honestly, I'd probably wear that sc with nantucket reds.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a rare occasion where I feel you didn't quite nail it. I'm sure the tie is of sentimental value (and I wear a lot of my dad's old stuff, e.g. yesterday's houndstooth jacket) and could work beautifully in a different setting, but not with this suit/shirt combo. However the suit itself is wonderful and your posts are the best possible publicity for your range. (Note to self: must get thin! must get thin!)

Is it a DFIH, Cox? That seems to be your default knot. Generally, I wish you'd use a standard FIH.
Darling, I didn't know you cared.

(FYI it was a standard FIH. Anything else with that tie would be a disaster.)

I'm still trying to get a better color/angle for posting pictures. Here might be a better representation

As a well-known dissenter from the "less is more" SF ethos, I think this fit could be stellar with really outré shoes, gloves, cane, panama hat etc., so that the one and only soporific element was the suit. You would then have to make sure that the suit was incredibly good, as everyone would be fixing their gaze on it to ward off a grand mal seizure.

Today. Matchy-matchy-matchy. I should really learn from my mistakes. Tomorrow will be calmer.

ffffuuuu.gif

Within the overall paradigm of your individual style, I really like this.

BTW gents thanks for yesterday's thumbs.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that a BB tie? I'm pretty sure I have the same one.

(Sadly mine has a stain :/)

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@NickPollica and @ridethecliche Thanks for the feedback.
I would wear knits or grens everyday if I didnt force myself to think of something else, but perhaps I shouldn't have forced today.
My reasoning was that I recalled a comment from Holdfast regarding another white trouser/light jacket fit of mine where I wore a navy tie and he thought it needed a lighter tie to harmonize better with the overall lightness of the outfit. Hence my choice today. I also wasnt feeling the shoes in todays fit either due to the "dainite" sole of these Magnanni's and my general discomfort of suede in summer (outside of loafers).

Thankfully there is always tomorrow (I'm feeling the security of a navy blazer coming on, although that fit just posted by @kulata has me thinking too...very nice, K)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads