• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When do hats get too large objectively, then? Your argument radiates a belief no hat is too large. I don't believe top hats are too large. You get different heights of top hat, too, and it would be suggestible to a smaller person, to wear a shorter top hat. It has nothing to do with society favouring shorter hats right now. It is always fundamentally about proportion, beauty and balance. I understand why you wouldn't want to go over this argument again and again, as you just like that oversized aesthetic, and that's OK on a subjective level, but I'll always stand by the objective proportion argument. I, also, gather you believe I am just plain wrong about it being oversized. Let's agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When do hats get too large objectively, then? Your argument radiates a belief no hat is too large. I don't believe top hats are too large. You get different heights of top hat, too, and it would be suggestible to a smaller person, to wear a shorter top hat. It has nothing to do with society favouring shorter hats right now. It is always fundamentally about proportion, beauty and balance. I understand why you wouldn't want to go over this argument again and again, as you just like that oversized aesthetic, and that's OK on a subjective level, but I'll always stand by the objective proportion argument. I, also, gather you believe I am just plain wrong about it being oversized. Let's agree to disagree.
That looks like a mushroom. Horses for courses, I suppose....

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When do hats get too large objectively, then? Your argument radiates a belief no hat is too large. I don't believe top hats are too large. You get different heights of top hat, too, and it would be suggestible to a smaller person, to wear a shorter top hat. It has nothing to do with society favouring shorter hats right now. It is always fundamentally about proportion, beauty and balance.

You do know that that is not true, right? Values like proportion and balance are very much culturally and historically variable. Look at what were considered beautifully proportioned women a few centuries ago:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Formosa
Zegna
Henry Carter on maiden voyage
Goddard
Khakis of Carmel
Bonafe

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In regards to top hats, historically many times the opposite of what you said was true. Often the shortest men wore the tallest top hats, which was the whole point of a top hat.

Last edited:

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, proportions and harmony are highly cultural and indictive of a time period.

Last edited:

DonCologne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That reminds me of the good old C64 days:

8127-zak-mckracken-and-the-alien-mindbenders-dos-screenshot-the-phone.gif

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Tibor's hat looks great to me. I like that crown crease and favor wider brimmed fedoras.
There are no rules to this and one's perspective determines your impression.

I wear fedoras and also wear western hats almost daily. My perspective is hat brims should be large and shield the sun well. Wider brim style looks best to most with a larger crown. This is the proportion part. Crown with little or no taper is a personal preference but I fall into the group that thinks a face shape with little taper to the jaw looks best with a hat crown that has little taper so the crown and blocky face shape balance each other.
If your opinion tends towards understated hats then you will think wider brims and fuller crowns to be overpowering.

I see things on here accepted as good style that to me look out of place or wrong every day. The main one being four in hand crooked tie knots on other wise impeccable so very well presented coats and shirts. I accept that it is a difference of opinion and is likely the look the wearer desires. I am too slanted to symmetry and prefer knots that center the blade of the tie within the lapels.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

It has a lot less to do with a specific kind of hat that frames one kind of face. There are many different effects each block & flange # gives to a style of a hat. Proper Hattery due to its rarity has become an incredibly arcane and esoteric subject. Many people on a variety of fashion related forums have a very limited understanding of hats that lends an attraction to the generic factory blocks. With the fullest blocks many people are use to seeing is a #52. The wide array of fuller straighter blocks (such as a #81 block, and going well up into the #100's) and the level of formality those fuller blocks rightfully uphold on countless facial structures can be lost to many who do not understand hattery or are unfamiliar with the variety of different asthetics relating to fedoras, especially outside of their limited styles that they are used to seeing. While Japanalex01 was polite and kind, what he said was "objective" was a statement that was an expression of his own subjectivity and holds no greater truth other than that being his own personal opinion. The more one understands the countless styles of blocks, flanges, creating a wide arrays of asthetics relating to each one, the more studied and well preportioned this particular hat will look on me.

welp. i guess ill just have to be subjective. While i love your fits, and always have...ive always thought your hats dwarf your face and make your head look as ling as your torso.

not to be a dick, but just because something follows rules doesnt mean it looks good.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member