• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
I admire your willingness to be vulnerable.

In good faith, here's my advice:
1. Collar is bad. As pointed out by others recently, you have a long neck and could do with higher collars. Also, those points are awful and there's no roll. It looks like a cheap shirt even if it was expensive.

2. Shirt sleeves are too long. Just burn this shirt. I got every shirt out of my wardrobe and put each of them on, under my best-fitting jacket (including its sleeve length), sorting all my shirts by sleeve length: too short, just right, too long. Then I measured them all, and finally determined my precise sleeve length (there are various online resources describing how to get this shirt measurement as well as all the others). In fact I did this for all my shirt dimensions, and recorded them. One day I will use this information to order a couple of shirts from Proper Cloth and/or Luxire. I recommend you do this too.

3. Again, as pointed out by others, there is something seriously wrong with the way your trousers drape. Go to a couple of really good tailors and find out what's wrong.

Having said all that, you have improved enormously over the past eighteen months, so don't give up.
Sorry, mate. But that pic is from before I joined SF. Fooled you!

Yes! I know that's not right holding the ball, I'm sorry too :)

As a football fan and as someone who knows how to throw a spiral, this picture really bothers me to the point I want to thumb up your picture.
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stefan, Anden, Meacham all elegant
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Victor Wilsonnnnnnnnnn!

Sophia Loren always looked a little Thunderbirds to me. Too perfect, if thats possible.

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Midweek, and cooler, for a day at least, in NYC - time to wear today's suit once more before it gets too warm.

Suit - BB
Shirt - BB MTM
Tie - Thomas Pink
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Shoes - Finsbury, Paris

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@upr_crust
 looking very sharp - can't beat a good double breasted suit. Is that a tab collar on your shirt?

Thank you, Meacham, and yes, the shirt is a button tab collar - one of my many affectations :satisfied:.

SylishDad

Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome advise! I never know what type of tie to buy, and this is exactly what I was looking for without knowing I was looking for it in the first place. Thanks!

SylishDad

Reaction score
Yes, welcome! One thing I wish I'd learned starting out is to buy a lot of solids and focus on fit.

Once you start getting more patterned stuff that you and everyone else loves, and learn how to put patterns together better, you will start to get frustrated by how limiting your favorite patterns can be. So start with solids, and pay lots of attention to texture as well as fit. Working up the pyramid like this seems more boring, but it should actually be more fun.

Fortunately you seem young enough, and God willing and the creek don't rise you will have plenty of years left to obsessively gather all kinds of far-out patterns.

Go on Netflix and watch some Marcello Mastroianni classics like Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow, Marriage Italian Style, and Casanova '70, if you haven't. Not only will you see some delightful cinema, but get a masterclass in Italian tailoring, and how to wear a lot of solids (and conservative patterns) without ever looking boring.

And 3"-wide ties. Start with 3" wide.
Thanks for the awesome advise! I never know what type of tie to buy, and this is exactly what I was looking for without knowing I was looking for it in the first place. Thanks!

SylishDad

Reaction score
Ok. I've listened to all of you and tried to match with what I have. Is this a bit better?

Tie is 2.5" wide. The only 3" tie I have at the moment didn't seem to fit this outfit.

mezentius

Reaction score
Apart from general considerations on cut and fit, there is a distinct mismatch between top and bottom. Top is monochrome and businesslike, bottom is bright and saturated. The severity and the block contrast cuts you in half.

Keeping the bottom constant,I would try something like a cream jacket with a suitably summery tie (perhaps orange); keeping the top constant I would use something more neutral, like chocolate brown trousers.

Someone link the man that city and country guide thing-on my phone here.

SylishDad

Reaction score
Apart from general considerations on cut and fit, there is a distinct mismatch between top and bottom. Top is monochrome and businesslike, bottom is bright and saturated. The severity and the block contrast cuts you in half.

Keeping the bottom constant,I would try something like a cream jacket with a suitably summery tie (perhaps orange); keeping the top constant I would use something more neutral, like chocolate brown trousers.

Someone link the man that city and country guide thing-on my phone here.
Could you, in addition, go a deeper into cut and fit? Thanks!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads