• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me to not make a wrong impression at a carreer event in Finance

JonathanBauer

Reaction score
Business school professor [...] in the shoulders.

Current business school [...] that's a killer.

Really cool to hear this from a prof perspective. Thanks for easing my mind on the styling part; the main reason I'm into this, is that the more prestigious events mainly draw people from my age who benefit from old-boys-networks through their families for whom styling etc. is no issue at all. These guys probably have a fine choice of tailor-made suits in their closets. I don't want to look like a total misfit when I'm out there.

But in the end it should be all about substance - great to have confirmed by two distinct business school professors that in reality this also is the case. I think I'm doing really well on both the substance part. And I think my preparations are alright - I have a look at the latest annual reports to get an idea of company outlook and size, read requirements in job listings to see the required skillsets, read Glassdoor reviews on company culture.

Now that you two are in this thread, perhaps I can ask you a question. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty - or in the finance field it would be ramming keys on a keyboard for 10hrs a day for mainly data entry following some pre-defined standard operating procedures. If that's the norm, and you just have to excel in 'production' before you're able to compete for more exciting functions, that's fine to me. I'll work like a machine for the outlook of a well-paying exciting job. However, do I mention that this is my attitude towards work, or is it better to just talk about the company?

WhereNext

Reaction score
Spelling will help during your career too.
wink.gif

Don't be silly: that's what spiel check is four.

As for advice in what to say, you'll want to know for yourself first what you want before talking to companies. I realize that sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised how many times I've seen people with the "how much does it pay" question and little else involved in their evaluation (not that pay shouldn't be important!). If you don't know what you're excited about, driven by, looking for, etc., you can't expect them to know what they're getting from you, either.
Convey that you're a hard worker, for sure, but it's best to do that in the context of their needs, as well. In other words, looking for a job (ideally) is looking for a good fit: they get what they want and you get what you want. Perhaps it doesn't always work out that way, but that's what you should be shooting for, in my opinion.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
I have an opinion that those wearing obviously expensive and tailored clothes may have a disadvantage. They would come across as possibly entitled. Someone who is trying and has put in a good effort to be nicely dressed looks like someone that tries. A person that is trying is very hard to ignore.
I would love to hear from the professors as to how an overdressed candidate affects them, if at all.

AMProf

Reaction score

I have an opinion that those wearing obviously expensive and tailored clothes may have a disadvantage. They would come across as possibly entitled. Someone who is trying and has put in a good effort to be nicely dressed looks like someone that tries. A person that is trying is very hard to ignore.
I would love to hear from the professors as to how an overdressed candidate affects them, if at all.

I don't often encounter "overdressed" in terms of someone in a Brioni suit, Lobb shoes and a Rolex. Honestly that's kind of hard to spot in the field, even for someone who reads SF and has an interest in clothes (except for the watch, but I've never seen a student with a Rolex....but I work at a mid tier public school ya know). Its more "damn, that's a nice looking suit", but I'm not sophisticated enough to be able to distinguish among very high end brands just from sight. What I *do* see sometimes is mistakes among young people wearing very nightclub/lounge like suits (think very tight black suit, shimmery purple shirt, solid black tie). Among professionals that doesn't look very good, but I can understand how that could happen to a student who went to H&M or the like to buy a suit. So, that's a bad move but not a fatal flaw. Keep in mind that most professionals are going to be pretty forgiving, we realize that a typical 22 year old guy doesn't have that much knowledge and experience yet. It would be much different, on the other hand, if it was a 30 year old MBA student dressed the same way.

Oh, but one thing I saw just a few weeks ago at our career fair: please, please remove the suit label from the sleeve of your new suit! I have seen this twice now, once on a suit and once on an overcoat. The cloth label stitched on to the sleeve was left on! I felt really bad for the kid who didn't realize you don't leave those on.

Last edited:

JonathanBauer

Reaction score
Spelling will help during your career too.
wink.gif
Ouch, bold mistake in the thread title, and I'm sure there's more to be found throughout my replies. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll never spell career wrong from now on..
shog[1].gif
Also I've just subscribed to the Economist, I think (and hope) that reading some well-written articles each week will help to improve my English in terms of vocabulary, grammar, style.

Great question and response.. Nice input for the thread, perhaps more relevant to students who wonder if they should wear their finest suit at an event for which no dress code is communicated.

CriticBespok

Reaction score
I hate brown shoes with blue!
Don't listen to anyone who advices them.
Go with a black/dark blue oxford or devy shoes.

This is an advice from a guy who directa more than 150 workers.
Good luck.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
please, please remove the suit label from the sleeve of your new suit!

Interesting how common this is. In fact, it's somewhat of a trend to keep it on in Africa. Not recommending it, of course.
lol8[1].gif

Brown and blue is fine.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go with a black/dark blue oxford or devy shoes.

This is an advice from a guy who directa more than 150 workers.
Good luck.

Brown shoes and blue suits are just fine together. No one gives a toss how many people you direct or advices you give.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads