• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Pick a Pair of Brown Shoes

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
To be honest, I've been in your position before as most people probably have. You're young, you're starting a new job, you don't have much disposable income. Buying an upscale pair of shoes really doesn't make any sense for you. And the reason being is aside from the price point (which is harder on your budget), you don't have the clothes to carry them.

If you're wearing typical 20-something slacks and jeans, a high-end pair of shoes is going to look ridiculous. It's like a girl wearing $600 Jimmy Choos paired with a dress from Express. To be blunt, it looks ******* stupid.

If you're not wearing suits and having your slacks custom made or at least heavily altered, you don't need high-end shoes. Don't buy the Ferrari when you're living in a trailer. Upscale your basics and then match in the shoes. You'll get them in due time, but the options presented that are within your budget are fine.

my .02

Ryan Graber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Thank you both for your replies. Those are some helpful links. I could go up to $200 if it were really a quality pair of shoes, but I'm not comfortable spending over $200 on a pair of shoes yet. If it would help to mention my age, I'm in my early 20s.

Do you have a nordstrom rack or similar discounter in your area?
if so go their for shoes, the florsheims/ bostonians will be less than 50 and you could pick up a pair of mezlan/magnanni for around 100 maybe less if you lucky, and I've routinely seen AE for 60 and 120.

I would recommend to avoid paying full retail for your first few pairs of expensive shoes,
also get a good pair of shoe trees, (the rack also sells some decent cedar shoe trees)
hope I helped.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Yes, I've seen those stores around. Now that I have a slightly better idea what to look for, and what brands are known for quality, I'll have to make a trip.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Slight update here. I browsed around the internet some more, and found this pair by AE that I quite like. Any first reactions or other thoughts?
zUIHY.jpg

57JoeFoMoPar

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't like them. They look cheap, though I do like the sole on them. The color is not dark enough to wear a suit with them. Not good versatility with your purchase. The Crockett and Jones shoes posted are a great looking shoe, but I'm guessing $450 is out of your price range (as it is mine). Instead of looking for shoes that are in your budget, just find shoes you really like. If they are out of your price range, look for a more inexpensive alternative that has the same basic style.

I've always been a fan of wingtip shoes, and I like a shoe that has something going on with the front of it, whether it be a wingtip or a cap toe. My rational being that at 5'9", a size 12 shoe will look bigger if the front is totally plain. I've seen the Crockett and Jones shoes, liked them, but can't afford them. So I hit up the outlet shops and scored a nice pair of Cole Haans in a rich burgundy for $90, 50% off of retail. Contrary to what people say on here, you don't need to spend a fortune to have nice gear.

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pendragon

Reaction score
My major criticism with your first choices are simply that they look as though they are made of cheap leather - which they are. As are 90% of mass market shoes.

I think those Allen-Edmonds - Manhattan's look pretty good. They may be a little lighter than usual, but they're interesting and certainly not gaudy. They also don't look so conservative as to make you look like a fogey.

Go for 'em.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Over the last several weeks I've done a lot of reading and research on this forum and in numerous online shopping venues. I think I've got a much better idea what the respectable brands are, and what a reasonable price to pay is. I think what I want to do is order some at a steep discount for the sake of really finding what works for me and my personal style. Here's two that I'm thinking of getting:
AE Burton in Burgundy
0uykv.jpg

Nx7rE.jpg

AE Del Rey in Chili
Nqw0u.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.