• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

heel construction:covered wood VS full leather

dibenetto

Reaction score
many shoe experts on this forum,here a quick question:

the debate between blake and goodyear construction have been debated for a while, but another story my shoemaker gives me:

his shoes to be lighter are made with a covered heel. the heel is a piece of wood covered with pieces of leather (glued).
he tells me a full leather heel will add a full pound per shoe (or is it per pair?im not sure)
the shoes i wear are definitely light, much lighter than other shoes i've used in the past. on the other hand he doesnt mind making it full leather its the same price.....

for my part the blake construction is fine with me and cost the same as the goodyear,its just that goodyear is too chunky after you put the protective rubber.

i dunno the glueing scares me a little for MTM shoes....

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't see that at all. Go find something small and made of leather, something that equals about a quarter-cup of volume (sorry, don't know metric too well). It would be waay under a half-pound, meaning that even if the wood had no weight at all, this is just not true. Aside from this, I too have not heard of this. And who has legs so weak they can't lift up a touch extra weight anyway?

dibenetto

Reaction score
for the weight it depends. answer this simple question: is the upper or the sole heavier? obviously the sole.
now take a flat leather sole cut it in 3,and pile them up. you get a leather heel more or less. how much do you think a leather sole weigh? the thickness of a wallet is not comparable with a leather sole,the leather used for the later is more dense.......and 225Grams is not that much after all.....

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibenetto
..,its just that goodyear is too chunky after you put the protective rubber.

Why do you put it on then?

dibenetto

Reaction score
well i simply opted for blake construction with an extra rubber sole; much lighter, thinner looking, sharper ......and i dont plan on keeping shoes 10 years like so many like to say about their goodyear........2~5 years and i move on.....

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
I am a shoemaker, so I guess I count to be an expert. I would never make a heel from wood. It is a cheap solution, instead of expensive leather (at least thatswhy it has been developed). Not just because it is not so durable (one wrong step, and you have to bring back the shoe to repair, because the leather strip will separate), but doesn't give the same feeling. You will realise it at the first step - the leather heel gives some "suspension", the wood doesn't give any. Here you can see, how the leather heel is made: I am afraid I will never show the wood version..
smile.gif
Anyway the leg is the strongest limb - a few more load doesn't matter, believe me.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG these videos are stunning. I'm saying this after watching 30 seconds of it

16520Man

Reaction score
MarcellHUN, thank you. YouTube most of the time wastes my time. Those videos, however, are an education!

a-rock

Reaction score
that video is fascinating and awesome. has this been posted elsewhere before? if not, someone definitely needs to start a thread of just these videos because most people will probably miss it here.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
that video is fascinating and awesome. has this been posted elsewhere before? if not, someone definitely needs to start a thread of just these videos because most people will probably miss it here.

There's a whole thread of them, with the subject line "Hungarian shoemaker" I believe.

paper clip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcellHUN
I am a shoemaker, so I guess I count to be an expert.

Here you can see, how the leather heel is made:

Awesome videos. I just watched 'em all. NOW I fully understand the goodyear process. Amazing! Thanks for sharing your gift.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll agree with the others...outstanding clips! Thank you very, very much!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads