• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hate the button-down collar with suits

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe City Thinker
They look supremely frumpy. Which is why they're peas in a pod with the trad American sack suit. If you want to look like and old-skool IBMer, knock yourself right out.

Yeah I guess there are different views about the line between dowdy/frumpy and relaxed elegance. I think that a well worn tweed jacket falls on one side and BD collars fall on the other.

I rarely see anyone serious wear a BD with tie though. At work I occasionally see old trad guys wear it, but even they dress more smartly if they're going anywhere or seeing anyone.

JakeLA

Reaction score
They look supremely frumpy. Which is why they're peas in a pod with the trad American sack suit. If you want to look like and old-skool IBMer, knock yourself right out.
Fred Astaire and Gianni Agnelli wore button-downs with suits, the poor schlubs. Too bad there weren't internet style forums back then to set them straight.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a style forum. if u aint got no style get the **** off.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JakeLA
Fred Astaire and Gianni Agnelli wore button-downs with suits, the poor schlubs. Too bad there weren't internet style forums back then to set them straight.

All the photos of Agnelli that I've seen have him wearing a spread collar.

Astaire was known for his A&S suits but were his shirts notable? Personally I do think his shirt/tie combos look pretty frumpy and old fashioned.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Englishman in me hates the concept of an rough oxxford cloth, button down collar, and double cuffs. Being a civilized man means respecting etiquette and protocol. Leave such clap-trap to the Yanks and the chavs whom imitate the Yanker-wankers.

Haha. Chavs! I can't stop laughing.

Cheers

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was given my first ocbd the other day. It's a BB 1818 lavendar shirt In extra slim fit. Quite nice but I hate the look of button downs though.

What and where could I wear it with? Should I wear it in the office w a tie too?! Ha!

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads