• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Because financial success is indicative of writing skill.
They're fairly well-written for children's novels. I can't think of anything comparable at the moment, though it's not exactly my speciality. In any case, she's no Dan Brown.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
This post is stupid on so many levels that I'm actually genuinely impressed by it. Congratulations on one of the most fallacious arguments around!

Right, because "skill" is so clearly defined otherwise. There are many, many different types of skills. Writing something that a huge range of people enjoy requires a whole lot of skill. Saying that JK Rowling lacks skill as an author is an opinion, not the stated fact it was presented as. And in my opinion, it's a very poorly justified opinion. I can call Shakespeare the greatest hack that ever lived, that doesn't make it so. He made a fair bit of money too, so therefore he's worthless as a real artist.

Financial success is certainly indicative of SOMETHING, and if it's not skill, I would sure as hell like to know what it is indicative of.

As for the 'why don't you do it yourself' strawman, that was just for fun. Civil discourse can get boring, especially when somebody drags out a reverse ad populum and absolutely nothing else to try and discount a point.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
I used to like that, it was only in my later years I realised they were in fact, thieving gypsies, so I spurned the tale, as I would a rabid dog.

I'd rather be a thieving gypsy than the George W Bush of wizards.

Gutman

Reaction score
Enjoyed it. Quite different from the previous movies, without the Hogwarts setting. Far more mature take on the characters, and effectively conveyed them moving into self-reliance. Colour palette and locations were fantastic, and for SF'ers interesting to see the shawl collars and slightly edgier / more relevant clothing for the main characters. was it my imagination, or were there a lot more full length body shots in this film? shows the characters as whole people, nice touch.

I wondered whether some parts were too brooding - that's in the books, for sure, but that's what montages are for in movies
smile.gif
atmospheric, yes, but proportionally maybe too much of the movie? the 7th movie is rather late for extended character development of this type... a bit redundant really. i did like that they didn't try to make it into a stand-alone movie, no need.

The shadow puppets fable with Emma Watson's narration was masterful. That little story alone shows why Rowling deserves the success she has had.

Picked Hardwick Hall right away - Great location, but the interior shots are reconstructed. Quite a scary intro for a children's story. Liked the Shaftesbury Ave sequence - Used to be my route home.

On a personal SF note, I was pleased to see my favourite Italian army-surplus wool blankets being used as props - Hermione has one for most of the camping scenes. Thin, but with the really *heavy* tight woollen weave. Great things, fantastic quality. i bought several.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Fish