• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hard to read, the fiction.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
The Bible
devil.gif
The last quarter/third of both Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy felt unbearable. Blake's Jerusalem is pretty tough, too. For sheer unreadability, I nominate the Davinci Code.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
finnegans wake

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
That too.

Are you a masochist or was it for a dissertation?
tounge.gif

I was an idiot - I was firmly entreanched in the idea that I was going to be a philosopher, too.

I think that I said this once here - Rand should only be read by people old enough not to fall for her. she is very seductive to young people, and should be read carefully. I bought her hook line and sinker.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
**** you. I was just about to post that.

And some of the bible wasn't even original fiction, but ripped off from Sumerian and Babylonian mythology.
laugh.gif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
The Bible
devil.gif

Damn! Me, too. Each time I get stuck on the bit where so and so begat so and so who begat what's his name who begat that guy who begat the other dude who begat this fella who swallowed a fly and so on.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Gravity's Rainbow ground to a halt in my brain about 50 pages in. I think I could read it if I just poured myself into it without stopping over a weekend. There's a tipping point that needs to be reached with books like that.
Yay! I read GR too.
tongue.gif
Strangely, I could not make it through Pynchon's V, which is much shorter, and supposedly more accessible. When I lose track of characters, and I have to keep backtracking, that is the death knell. EDIT: there is a Jonathan Franzen essay in How To Be Alone about difficult books; he compares reading them to mountain-climbing. I forgot the rest. He mentions Gravity's Rainbow and uh... uh... that other guy. Uh......

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Dune is awesome and it is popular for a million different reasons, most of which are probably valid.
None of the reasons are for the writing though, correct?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is some terrible literary criticism
smile.gif

I have developed a bad habit of not finishing books. Not not getting through them, just putting them down and forgetting them and then returning them to the library when they're due and not renewing. This happened recently with "The Curious Incident ofthe Dog in the Nighttime"--a very readable book; and "A Wild Sheep Chase," which sort of bored me.

Any books you regret finishing? Jonathan Lethem--You Don't Love Me Yet. Hated it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I thought that was always more of a joke book - are you saying that people actually try to read it?

Uh... I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

smile.gif

But yes, its a work of fiction, by a pretty popular author, its just that my brain gets stuck in all the mathematical cryptology formulae and wankery. Its also a very dense book, for some reason. The copy I have has extremely small text. So that, coupled with the information overload, two overlapping storylines, and my general disinterest in math - I've never been able to finish it.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Uh... I don't think we are talking about the same thing.
smile.gif

Oops, yep, I was thinking of another book. Edit: I was thinking of Necronomicon.
tongue.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been slogging through what should be an easy read: A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I have started, stopped and re-started this blasted thing a half dozen times since last autumn and haven't made but a 100-page dent in it. The book lies dormant, silently mocking me, on my coffee table. The story is quite easy to follow, and the characters are wonderfully developed. Its just that Irving goes into such detail! He could simply say what time it is, but instead he delves into the whole concept of time, man's attempts to harness and conquer time, and the mechanics of a freakin' watch! (Okay, I'm exagerating, but still...I'm having a dickens of a time with this book.)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I've been slogging through what should be an easy read: A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I have started, stopped and re-started this blasted thing a half dozen times since last autumn and haven't made but a 100-page dent in it. The book lies dormant, silently mocking me, on my coffee table.

The story is quite easy to follow, and the characters are wonderfully developed. Its just that Irving goes into such detail! He could simply say what time it is, but instead he delves into the whole concept of time, man's attempts to harness and conquer time, and the mechanics of a freakin' watch! (Okay, I'm exagerating, but still...I'm having a dickens of a time with this book.)

I love that book. keep trying.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I've been slogging through what should be an easy read: A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I have started, stopped and re-started this blasted thing a half dozen times since last autumn and haven't made but a 100-page dent in it. The book lies dormant, silently mocking me, on my coffee table.

The story is quite easy to follow, and the characters are wonderfully developed. Its just that Irving goes into such detail! He could simply say what time it is, but instead he delves into the whole concept of time, man's attempts to harness and conquer time, and the mechanics of a freakin' watch! (Okay, I'm exagerating, but still...I'm having a dickens of a time with this book.)

Originally Posted by globetrotter
I love that book. keep trying.

I hated that book and could not get through it. It almost broke up my relationship with my wife as it is her favorite book, and early on in our relationship, she begged me to read it. I just couldn't

Our dog is named Owen, after Owen Meany.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dune. I don't understand why it's such a popular science fiction piece when the writing is so horrible.

Originally Posted by GQgeek
Dune is awesome and it is popular for a million different reasons, most of which are probably valid.

I'm with the elf on this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads