• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hairstyling products aren't working well

Triggahhappy

Reaction score
Whenever I use a hairstyling product, wether it be gel, mousse, or pomades, no matter what I do, within about an hour, my hair will go back to it's natural shape and I'll totally lose the style I was going for.

It's probably that I'm either not using the product correctly, or the product isn't the best of its kind. Probably a bit of both.

I'm here asking for tips on how to keep a style going all day long if possible. I'm Asian with shortish-medium hair. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

esaul17

Reaction score
Is hard to say without seeing your actual hair and the goal style.

I have medium hair and am white, so it may not translate that well, but I find that the direction I blow my hair in is the "default" position for it more or less. Products can add detail and such. I put some Mousse in (as I am going for volume) and then blowdry it as close to the final product as I can. Otherwise my hair is pretty stubborn.

Also, giving it a finish with hairspray may help seal the look after you style it for some longevity.

confused

Reaction score
+1 on the hairspray

unless u want something that is super powerful and will leave ur hair rock hard and/or sticky, just use whatever makes ur hair look good when ur done styling, and cement it with hairspray

also, if u want the more natural look, using a hair dryer can help

sbbbjm

Reaction score
post a picture so i can see what kind of texture you have. then post a picture of what you're trying to achieve.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you are just not using enough.

Enough gel and hairspary, you'll be wearing a helmet.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
you are just not using enough.

Enough gel and hairspary, you'll be wearing a helmet.

Not if its a "weak hold" gel

SoHoJoejoe

Reaction score
Skip the gel. Gel sucks for so many reasons. It flakes, it gets gross and clumpy if your hair gets wet, it's hard to wash out etc.

Conditioner helps a lot with straight hair. Use a decent conditioner after you shampoo. Brush it the general way you want why blowing it dry and it will start to "naturally" fall that way. Then you can style with paste or even something thicker like that american crew gel pomade. And I agree with the other, a light hair spray will help keep it together. If you have thick straight hair, try to get most of the styling product closer to the roots, and brush it through. If you gop it all straight on your head, it will weigh the whole thing down and give you flat hair in an hour.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Triggahhappy
Whenever I use a hairstyling product, wether it be gel, mousse, or pomades, no matter what I do, within about an hour, my hair will go back to it's natural shape and I'll totally lose the style I was going for.

It's probably that I'm either not using the product correctly, or the product isn't the best of its kind. Probably a bit of both.

I'm here asking for tips on how to keep a style going all day long if possible. I'm Asian with shortish-medium hair. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Details are limited about your hair but a proper haircut will go a long way in getting the style you want.

Quality (strong hold) gels will provide the strongest hold of all products and hair spray will make whatever style even more like a rock. I'm not sure that's what you really want, however...

My assumption is that you don't have a proper haircut for what you're trying to do and you aren't using the proper product and/or good quality products.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old-fashioned products work if you don't mind the smell: Brylcreem, Groom and Clean, V05, Vitalis, Jeris w/ oil.

justinx2009

Reaction score
I shampoo and condition my hair. Then I towel dry it and let it air dry a little. Then I proceed with the hair dryer for a few minutes while applying Regis' Sculpting Mud. This is the only product I've ever bought and have been satisfied with (other than hair spray). Rub it in my hands before applying. Then continue to blow dry it until I get the natural messy look. Then I spray a good amount of hair spray. And I get compliments on my hair all the time!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gatsby Moving Rubber "Spiky Edge" is flexable yet holds very stong. I have suggested it and used it for years. Works great for shorter hair and is designed for Asian hair.

crimpologist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Gatsby Moving Rubber "Spiky Edge" is flexable yet holds very stong. I have suggested it and used it for years. Works great for shorter hair and is designed for Asian hair.

+1

Yngling

Reaction score
I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Po.../dp/B0002NUTD8 instead of hair gel etc.

It won't help you keep your hair in a fixed way, but if you can get something good looking with this, then it'll keep looking good for a long time. An added benefit is that if your date runs her fingers through your hair (or you need to take a sweater off or something), it won't ruin the hairstyle for the rest of the evening (if it's all out of place, just fix it next time you go to the bathroom).

One downside though, it's not easy to wash out.

Ex animo,
- Alexander.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics