• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Growing out hair - what do I need.

tom .p.

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of growing out my hair but the longer it gets the more I realise how horrible it looks. It's ridiculously thick and wavy and hair styling products never seem to look right on my hair.

I'm planning to let it grow to medium length and curling it (Similar to Alex Zane & Kris Donnelly) What shampoo, conditioner and products would you recomend to help?

Also if you have any other tips for keeping hair looking stylish and looked after please say them

robbz9206

Reaction score
try coconut oil. find a salon that can help you with that if you dont want to do it alone.

iampeter

Reaction score
shampoo and conditioner is what you would need, keep scalp clean, keep ends conditioned.

get advice from stylist, look for products from the salon or grocery store equivalent

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom .p.
I'm in the middle of growing out my hair but the longer it gets the more I realise how horrible it looks. It's ridiculously thick and wavy and hair styling products never seem to look right on my hair.

I'm planning to let it grow to medium length and curling it (Similar to Alex Zane & Kris Donnelly) What shampoo, conditioner and products would you recomend to help?

Also if you have any other tips for keeping hair looking stylish and looked after please say them

Long hair isn't realistic for most of us.
frown.gif
I ended up chopping mine when it still hadn't grown to the point where it was manageable (the awkward in between stage blows) after 6 months.

Talk to a good stylist, preferably one with long hair, before buying or doing anything else though.

word

Reaction score
The worst part is that transition period where it's just long enough that you have to style it somehow or it looks like ****. But not quite long enough to do what you really have in mind yet. What really sucks is when you finally figure out what sorda works for that mid-length your hair will be slightly too long to really pull off whatever it was you figured out.

Guarantee you when it's long enough to be worn like those two dudes you mentioned it will not take much effort to style it that way. Wait it out, you'll enjoy the results.

For now I say just go to a salon and get to know a stylist now. Explain your goals and they'll give you better tips.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Patience and time, the two mightiest warriors of them all.

Lion-O + He-Man > Patience + Time!!!1

TG.

Reaction score
Let it grow and tough it out during the awkward phase, don't cut it.

A few things that worked for me.

* parachute coconut hair oil works great.

* I wash only 1X per week, vatika, shampoo, conditioner, but will rinse it with very cold water only sometimes.

* never brush wet hair, towel dry or blow dry, it can be damaged very easily. I let my hair air dry and finger comb 90% of the time, your short hairs now are your long hairs in a couple of years take care of them.

* I don't use any product in my hair or color it or etc, etc.

Good luck and it is a journey, have fun with it.

C7

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
depending on your hair's strength, you want to watch how tight you tie your hair because you can break hair and it will create frizz. The metal-free Goody bands from most places are good and not too tight.

If you can afford it, get scalp cleanings and scalings, this does promote hair growth, or at least speeds it up. it's cheap in my country but I imagine it to be very expensive in America.

halesjoe

Reaction score
It is a good idea that you want to growing your hair. I think medium hair length looks good on you. I like long hair. So I always tell to my wife never cut more hair.

poissa

Reaction score
I'm finally back on the bandwagon of longhair. So a couple of thoughts- your hair is growing out and it looks like ****. I've been on the fence about remedying the situation. This means- seeing the barber once every ten-fourteen days and getting it chopped. I kindly let him know I'm growing my hair much longer. In the interim my hair is manageable and looks better.

Also, I've got asian girl fine hair and used to hate it. Now I use Dr Brommer's shampoo. It doesn't strip my hair of oils and cleans it. Imagine that! I no longer shampoo infrequently at the expense of having dirty, smelly hair lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads