• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got a new suit but don't know about the fit!

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the length is just a bit long not bad at all. if you wish to shorten it the pockets are rather high so that will not be a problem.
the first thing i noticed was that its too tight over your butt.
you also have a left low shoulder.

you have a nice smile.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too long... it's not worth it. I have a sportcoat that's just a tad too long for my liking. I never wear it.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
It's not bad at all, although it does look like if you tried to cup the hem around your closed hand it would not pass the "meet the second knuckle test." But I think you can wear it and be fine, especially if you got a good deal on it.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Thanks for the better pictures.

I agree with most - I think it's perfectly wearable, but would prefer it to be about an inch shorter.

Almost all "regular" length suits fall like this on me and drive me crazy so I usually buy the shorts.

Can tailors fix length like this?

Overall the suit does look just a tiny bit big on you, though. What's your height/weight/suit size here?

Zackb911

Reaction score
I've found my 42R suits all range in 30.5" in length to 32". Same kind of difference you're feeling and seeing, being on the cusp of the next length up S/R, R/L, etc or just that manufacturer making them a touch longer than others in the same size.

While I can wear them all, the 30.5-31" ones feel like a better length, they usually run right to the knuckles when the length is right. It's a matter of preference.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by its299792458mps
Thanks for the feedback! Feeling a little more confident about it now.

I finally took some full length pictures.

CIMG1075rew.jpg

CIMG1074fd.jpg

What do you think?

Length is fine for an office environment. Too long if you're going for the trendy elf-suit look. Don't pay attention to where the coat is in relation to your hands. The rule is that it should cover your butt and no more.

its299792458mps

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Thanks for the better pictures.

I agree with most - I think it's perfectly wearable, but would prefer it to be about an inch shorter.

Almost all "regular" length suits fall like this on me and drive me crazy so I usually buy the shorts.

Can tailors fix length like this?

Overall the suit does look just a tiny bit big on you, though. What's your height/weight/suit size here?

I'm not sure. My mom's a tailor and she said suit lengths can't be fixed but she could be wrong here.

i'm roughly 6' weight 190lbs and i wear either 38R or 40R. The suit doesn't have a size but was advertised as 38 and it might be inbetween and regular and long.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by its299792458mps
I'm not sure. My mom's a tailor and she said suit lengths can't be fixed but she could be wrong here.

They can't be lengthened, but you can shorten them, though only by a small amount without messing up the balance of the coat and making the pockets look too low...

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how this suit is too long. I keep looking, but I can't see it. It doesn't even cover his butt. It seems that his arms are shorter than usual, that's why most people think the suit is too long, but really, the jacket is fine.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I don't see how this suit is too long. I keep looking, but I can't see it. It doesn't even cover his butt. It seems that his arms are shorter than usual, that's why most people think the suit is too long, but really, the jacket is fine.

I think you're right. The back shot doesn't look like the jacket quite covers his gluteal fold. OP must just have really short arms, which is why you shouldn't judge proper length by where the bottom of the jacket hits on your hands.

As far as shortening a suit jacket, I've had it done to a couple. In addition to the problems of balance mentioned above, it is REALLY expensive to have done. I believe I paid north of $100. This suit absolutely does not need shortened.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laer Surtep
That's a long and unless you're over 6' you should stick with a regular. Otherwise it fits ok and I wouldn't waste money on alterations on a used suit you bought on ebay. No one who is knowledgeable about clothes would ever suggest you shorten the length of a suit jacket so make sure it fits when you buy it.
I can tell it's a bit long by where the jacket falls. It's right at your crotch and should be an inch or two above. A regular measures 31" and a long about 32 1/4" not including the collar)
If you're under 5'9" get a short.
Some better stores like Paul Stuart where I just bought a jacket even have an intermediate length between a regular and a long.

Please stop giving horrendous advice.

its299792458mps

Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
I think you're right. The back shot doesn't look like the jacket quite covers his gluteal fold. OP must just have really short arms, which is why you shouldn't judge proper length by where the bottom of the jacket hits on your hands.

As far as shortening a suit jacket, I've had it done to a couple. In addition to the problems of balance mentioned above, it is REALLY expensive to have done. I believe I paid north of $100. This suit absolutely does not need shortened.

Yeah, I have exceptionally small hands, esp. for someone my height. Not too sure about the arms they're probably a little shorter than usual too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads