• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Vanda!!!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont love the shirt, but combo is nice.

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got some PS's in the mail today... Pics don't really do them justice, they are gorgeous. The red is a dark burgundy, the blue isn't too bright and the yellow is a very striking gold.

ZrOrUwyfP1qT3D5uNISNuXqZo0vgkHTJJD1JuSXT7Ms=w1043-h429-no

Now to figure out folds and proper combinations...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
My favorite is the middle one .. really great!

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
dont love the shirt, but combo is nice.
Why don't you like the shirt stitches? Been thinking of a micro/small check shirt (Rudals is more like a small basket weave), some pattern interest close up but resolving to solid from a distance. The question for me is how big for checks. I might go bigger.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light blue shirt would have looked a lot better, IMO. Shirt seems like unnecessary pattern adding in this case.

It doesn't totally subtract... but it definitely doesn't add.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why don't you like the shirt stitches? Been thinking of a micro/small check shirt (Rudals is more like a small basket weave), some pattern interest close up but resolving to solid from a distance. The question for me is how big for checks. I might go bigger.

i should have said, dont like the shirt, THERE. not that i flat out dont like it.

it feels to casual for me in that fit and it looks too busy for me all together with the tie, id like it more with a casual fit like a sweater or SC open no tie. ymmv, but im a ***** about those things.

TM79 gets it.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Light blue shirt would have looked a lot better, IMO. Shirt seems like unnecessary pattern adding in this case.

It doesn't totally subtract... but it definitely doesn't add.

i should have said, dont like the shirt, THERE. not that i flat out dont like it.

it feels to casual for me in that fit and it looks too busy for me all together with the tie, id like it more with a casual fit like a sweater or SC open no tie. ymmv, but im a ***** about those things.

TM79 gets it.

I'm curious about this. We opt for the plain light blue shirt as the neutral basis for the top-block. I guess I'm thinking of occasionally swapping that out for a light blue check. The reason is that over the course of a week, variety across the week is nice even if one prefers a solid light blue shirt typically.

I'm not sure I like Rudals' particular check pattern (again, its seems to be something like a micro basket weave and perhaps a bit too busy, sorry Rudals), but I'm for a bit of variety with shirt patterns. Perhaps in a larger check? Honest question.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TM79 gets it.

Is that an end-on-end cloth? Do you see end on end as being somehow casual?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tweedy - there are many checks i like in many sizes. rudals actually has one iirc.

**** - The pattern strikes me as casual, not the cloth.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm curious about this. We opt for the plain light blue shirt as the neutral basis for the top-block. I guess I'm thinking of occasionally swapping that out for a light blue check. The reason is that over the course of a week, variety across the week is nice even if one prefers a solid light blue shirt typically.

I'm not sure I like Rudals' particular check pattern (again, its seems to be something like a micro basket weave and perhaps a bit too busy, sorry Rudals), but I'm for a bit of variety with shirt patterns.  Perhaps in a larger check? Honest question.

The large check shirt w/tie and jacket is a little too artsy/hipster for my own personal tastes but to each their own. I think there isn't anything wrong with the look from a more objective standpoint but it will also depend on where you wear it.

I work in finance so it wouldn't blend in so well in that industry.

I own a few larger check shirts with button down collars but tend to wear them as casual S/S shirts and the shirt tail/length reflects that, too. I roll the sleeves a little and toss it on over some chinos and Seavees for weekend wear and what not.

But back to the main point ... I think a larger check is okay if the rest of the outfit isn't too busy. Recently in a Starbucks line I saw someone wearing a repp tie with a gingham shirt and I thought it looked terrible.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tweedy - there are many checks i like in many sizes. rudals actually has one iirc.

**** - The pattern strikes me as casual, not the cloth.

That's the thing. I get a sense of depth from it that makes me think it's the weave which creates the appearance rather than any particular pattern woven on it. After checking back I think it looks less like an end on end than a royal oxford - both of which can be plenty formal as fabrics go.

Noodles, what's the shirt actually like?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads