• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good clothing stores in Maui

Duveen

Reaction score
Headed to Maui and wondering if there is anywhere that you folks would recommend on island to get a true classic Hawaiian shirt. I will not be going to O'ahu at all, and know that Maui may not have a lot of depth of shopping, but thought I would ask...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went overboard on the Hawaiian shirts when I went to Maui. I'm pretty sure I bought a few at Moonbow Tropics (Maalaea location). There are a lot of stores in Lahaina that sell these shirts as well.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can hear it now... "Book 'em Duveen, Murder One."

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
Headed to Maui and wondering if there is anywhere that you folks would recommend on island to get a true classic Hawaiian shirt. I will not be going to O'ahu at all, and know that Maui may not have a lot of depth of shopping, but thought I would ask...

I stayed at the Ritz on Maui a couple of years ago and found their recommendations to be farily spot on. You can always call the conciege there.

TomW

Reaction score
And the Ross near the airport has racks and racks of made in Hawaii shirts - from last year and earlier.. dirt cheap

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I can hear it now... "Book 'em Duveen, Murder One."

Like I said, won't be on the big island. More's the pity....

Are there any shops that specialize in vintage Hawaiian shirts from the 50s?

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
I stayed at the Ritz on Maui a couple of years ago and found their recommendations to be farily spot on. You can always call the conciege there.

Will do - I will have a car, but it would need to be a great store to justify a special expedition.

I may be able to hit the Ross mentioned above as we prepare to leave - we'll have an hour or two to kill before our flight.

For those who have been to Maui, any particular food/experience recommendations? I am interested in everything from good spots for plate lunches to fancy sit-down spots...

paul_lynch

Reaction score

You said you wouldn't be on Oahu, not the Big Island :).

I found Avanti to be a good label for vintage recreations, there had stores in Waikiki, but should have someone on Maui. Tori Richard had some nice current items in the big stores, and Reyn Spooner is a mixed bag - good vintage style rayon, great reverse prints - but in poly-cotton.

Unfortunately I can't remember the best diners, it's been a few years for me.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who have been to Maui, any particular food/experience recommendations? I am interested in everything from good spots for plate lunches to fancy sit-down spots...
Here's my thread from two years ago.

I would definitely try to eat at Roy's, although it's a haul from where you're staying.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph

My wife and I had dinner there, but didn't stay there. It's a beautiful looking hotel. Surprisingly, the food was only mediocre, though the service was, not surprisingly, impeccable.

lpwb32

Reaction score
for plate lunch go to Aloha Mixed Plate. i forgot the street but its the one that runs along the coast in lahaina right behind the mall. you can find them on google though.
same owners as the old lahaina luau which is considered the most authentic luau experience on the island.

its comfort food at its best and nice location right off the beach.

another good cheap eats recommendation is alexanders fish. theres various locations but the one i've been to is near wailea so its kind of a trek but trekking is what maui is all about! its fish and chips but with a lot of local fish that you wont find elsewhere.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know of a consignment store in La Jolla that had about 500 of them last year.
laugh.gif
I would guess he has at least 200 left.

The Nino

Reaction score
I think The Ritz is closing in July for renovations and won't reopen until January. A shame because The Terrace is a beautiful place to have dinner.

David Paul's is quite nice but overpriced imo.

Mala overlooks the ocean and has does creative, good lunches and dinners.

Longhi's does an excellent breakfast/brunch. Well worth it even though you can't book and it is usually crowded.

I'd second Roy's as a choice. Good food and it always seems to be lively there.

I'll throw Sansei in as well. I've been there twice, and the first time it was maybe the best sushi I've ever tasted. (I'm not a sushi connoisseur by any means) The second time was a huge disapointment. Portions were small and medicore, the staff were surly and not overly competent. In fact we left after the first course, just too expensive for what we were getting.

Anyway most of the places are in Lahaina. Roy's and Sansei are maybe 15-20 minutes north.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/

Best Restaurant in MAUI or one of the best. Felt very authentic and the Kona Coffee via French Press is absolutely ridiculous. Blew away the Ritz. Go during lunch and you can watch the Windsurfers right outside.

Sansei and Roy's didnt' do as well as Mamasfishhouse for me and the girl I was dating at the time. We both bought coffee afterwards and shipped it back to the states. Amazing!!!

graphix

Reaction score
i was born on maui, and i dont remember too much but ask a local or the concierge where to find the best Manapua (mana- poo - ah). One of my favorite lunch meals, similar to the asian 'char siu bao'. My dad owned a restaurant in the upcountry for years i will ask him when he gets home what would be worth visiting, although the advice could be a bit dated by now, since they haven't been back in 20 years.

I would say take a ride through the upcountry out of the tourist areas. Places like pa'ia, makawao, Ulapalakua. Mostly made up of farms but it should be a wonderfully scenic ride with the smell of eucalyptus wafting through the air.

http://gohawaii.about.com/od/mauisig...untry_maui.htm

we used to go to this secluded waterfall that fell into a beautiful pool which you could swim in, if my parents still know the location i will let you know.

have fun!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads