• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going into luxury/high-end stores with no intention of buying anything?

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

See i find that really hard to believe because in my experience the TF store personnel are very friendly. Mind you not just the madison boutique where i have to disclose i do shop at but even ones I've never been to like the Vegas one. One of my friends used to work at their madison store and they were taught to be nice to everybody because the person you are dealing with might be dressed like crap but is a multi millionaire.

Was treated very well at the TF Vegas boutique when I visited in December. I thought they were very friendly.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An SA at TF Madison pretty much gave me and my cousin the arched eyebrow look the first time I went there, even though I bought something from him.

I went back a few days later and started talking to another SA about TF Mtm options. When the original SA saw that I might be commissioning a suit with another SA his attitude became muh friendlier (offered me a beverage, all smiles, etc...).

The SAs at RL are much nicer.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Some SAs can be snobby, but that can be in any industry, where they are on commission. If they are only looking to make a buck, rather than provide quality customer service, then they don't really care about the customer's experience.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

See i find that really hard to believe because in my experience the TF store personnel are very friendly. Mind you not just the madison boutique where i have to disclose i do shop at but even ones I've never been to like the Vegas one. One of my friends used to work at their madison store and they were taught to be nice to everybody because the person you are dealing with might be dressed like crap but is a multi millionaire.

Maybe it was just a stuck up SA that thought she was hot **** or something. Not that I really cared because I really was just looking and hadn't planned to make a purchase. I found the staff at Paul Smith to be far more enjoyable. They were really quite fun actually. They also happen to have that Paul Smith mini on display which was pretty cool too.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I understand that SA's work on commission. When they ask if I need help, I usually respond with "No thank you" after first obtaining their name. So if I do need help or make a purchase, I know who to go to. And if it is a different SA ringing me up, I make sure the SA who helped is credited for the sale.

Barney's of New York and Neiman Marcus has always treated me with the upmost respect and were beyond friendly. Ted Baker is always a blast when they throw their little instore parties (I swear, some of those female SA's...delightful). And surprisingly, Kiki de Montparnasse in Vegas was a riot. Of course, that was during the days I had a lady in my life. Now, I'm sure they would view me as a creeper.

Tiffany's on Madison, TF store in Vegas, and Brooks Brothers in San Antonio were my worst shopping experiences with SA's. Enough so to still stick in my memory all these years.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some SAs can be snobby, but that can be in any industry, where they are on commission. If they are only looking to make a buck, rather than provide quality customer service, then they don't really care about the customer's experience.

See thats the thing even at TF when my regular SA isn't there they are still incredibly friendly and even put it under him for a sale without prompting. They don't really have anything to gain as the commission will go to my regular guy but they don't really seem to care about that. And this is from first hand experience I've seen a guy terribly dressed (baggy 1990's jeans and all) acting high and mighty as hell making the SA's bring out racks of sunglasses to try on for an hour and not buy anything get treated exactly the same as guy who walked in and bought literally 20+shirts, and 6 suits. Which is why i find it surprising that some people have negative experiences there. Im not saying it didn't happen I'm just saying its surprising.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Op, you're taking it too personally, likely you're the 1000th person to answer her question with 'just looking' on that day.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers in San Antonio were my worst shopping experiences with SA's.
Who was your SA in SA? I've not been, but my dad absolutely loves his.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that situation, I answer with "Not yet thank you" in a confident manner. I do not need to justify or explain my presence in a store to the employees. I'm a potential customer and dress the part, and therefore should be treated as one. Living in Germany teaches one to be polite but firm.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of people go into stores simply to look, and many sales associates know it. A good sales associate will be polite to a person no matter what the person looks like, yet it needs to go both ways. Just because you're going in to browse does not mean that you'll never purchase from the store and a good experience will go a long way to cementing future purchases and building relationships. I agree with people who say that RL and Tom Ford are amongst the best in-store experiences as it relates to nice and understanding sales associates.

There is a sales associate in Philadelphia with whom I've had a long chat and told him directly up-front, "I'm just seeing what's here now to know and wait for the sale." The sales associate gave me his card, told me to e-mail him so that he can send me an email before the sales start and pull some of what I wanted. As above, just because you're not purchasing on that day does not mean that you're not purchasing in the future.

The second instance, when I was in Tom Ford in Milan, I told the person "I'm just seeing if there's anything different here than in the Madison Avenue store where things are cheaper." He told me there was one item only, walked me to it, and then let me be.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ask if they are commissioned. If they respond with a 'yes' (most do), I ask for their card and assure them that when I am ready to purchase, I will deal only with them. This puts a quick end to the situation and stops other salespeople from even approaching as I flash the card of the first one who approached me no matter their internal politics. Sales people, especially where there are too many for the store, tend to be very anxious and even pushy. 'Just browsing' is often inferred as 'no sale for me and now they are fair game for the others'. By asking them for their business card with an assurance, this is inferred as a courtesy they are not accustomed to receiving from most patrons. The card now becomes a 'maybe', which I will honour if I purchase. It also frees them to pursue other customers as I browse, knowing they haven't lost a sale. Anyone who has worked in sales knows the anxiety and pressures to sell and the unpleasant task of approaching potential customers. It is not an easy job for them. My procedure takes all of this pressure off both parties and I am left to browse at my leisure. I believe we had a thread years ago about rude cutomers and rude sales people but can't remember the thread title.

A tip to sales people, when they say 'just browsing' offer them your card and assure them that you are happy to assist when they are ready. Customers will love you for this.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads