• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gmail: Why use it?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I use gmail mostly as a "spam" account; any website I sign up for (even SF) I give that address. The beauty is that the spam filter is so good that I rarely get anything via POP3 (another reason) that isn't meant for me. Gmail helps to keep my emails separated in my Mail program in terms of "business" and "pleasure."

I wish I had done that years ago with my hotmail account. Still, it's catching most of the crap these days and i've gotten myself unsubscribd from several annoying lists.

Imagine being Bill Gates or the president though. I think i remember reading once that he gets something like a million emails a day and has an entire department devoted to eliminating the junk and sending him the relevant stuff (only 200 emails lol).

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I use gmail mostly as a "spam" account; any website I sign up for (even SF) I give that address. The beauty is that the spam filter is so good that I rarely get anything via POP3 (another reason) that isn't meant for me. Gmail helps to keep my emails separated in my Mail program in terms of "business" and "pleasure."

I do that, but only with multiple gmail accounts.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts of passing the popper accounts off my domain through Gmail. That is something to consider. I am going to explore features by reading their FAQs this weekend. I do not get much spam, thanks to the measures I mentioned earlier, and have any docs I need on my BB, so much of this is moot. If you don't have a BB or similar though, I can see the appeal.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^I notice you haven't responded to my inquiry. Should I take that as a no?
laugh.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
It allows me to have my privacy violated quickly and all in one place. I'd have to spend hours a day clicking on offers for Free Smileys spyware to do what Google does just by reading and archiving all my personal email.

yes, their privacy is troubling. Google's privacy rating is abhorrent and is at the same level usually reserved for phishing sites. I have opened a yahoo account for better security but I hardly get any email on it. I find it hard to switch because the search and interface are so much nicer than yahoo. I should make the final switch one of these days though, and block any incoming messages from gmail.

Originally Posted by landho
Also, AIM is now integrated into GChat.

Does anyone know if google just has an AIM client or is google now archiving all AIM convos? Scary **** if it is the latter. I suggest everyone use OTR encryption.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Does anyone know if google just has an AIM client or is google now archiving all AIM convos? Scary **** if it is the latter. I suggest everyone use OTR encryption.

Google is archiving everything that has ever been said on the internets. Be afraid...be very afraid.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Google is archiving everything that has ever been said on the internets. Be afraid...be very afraid.

Yes, but is AIM not housing their own archvies anymore? I knew someone who worked in the cyber branch of the local police dept and now works for the NSA. He said 3 years ago that AIM convos could only be searched for 2 weeks back.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I could put a whole bunch of '+1s' on the stuff above but wont bother, basically agree with the benefits others have outlined. Would also add that I like using labels and archiving more than I like using folders.

Plus I got a really good name on gmail cos I was an early adopter.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use it because it is the easiest email service to set up with Thunderbird (Firefox's email program). Also gmail.com is shorter in character length than hotmail.com or any of thoseother random urls.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I could put a whole bunch of '+1s' on the stuff above but wont bother, basically agree with the benefits others have outlined. Would also add that I like using labels and archiving more than I like using folders. Plus I got a really good name on gmail cos I was an early adopter.
Yeah, your name seems to be really popular.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
^I notice you haven't responded to my inquiry. Should I take that as a no?
laugh.gif

I was attempting a new thing...just politely ignoring you
laugh.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I logged into gmail the other day. I hate the interface. It took me a couple minutes to find the "button" to write a new email. I much prefer my hotmail account.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
You are awful at the internet then.

My friend really likes the gmail chat feature because his work doesn't allow almost any websites that aren't strictly work. No news, no sports, no message boards, almost nothing. He can access email through gmail and you can chat on AIM through gmail chat which keeps him sane at times.

Also, as others have said, the spam blocker is amazing. Maybe once a week i get something while my spam folder is gigantic. Also, i can't remember any legit mail getting mislabled as spam either. I really enjoy the archive and starred mail features too. Helps me keep my inbox screen very clean while still storing and being able to locate important emails from the past.

Earthmover

Reaction score
I love gmail, having been an early adopter. In addition to all the things others have mentioned, I find their blackberry mobile application very good and easy to use. And I am going to have gmail in europe with quick and easy access, which is nice indeed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads