• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Those house? slippers are quite nice, where do you guys wear them?
For those with the G&G Deco range shoes, can I see some real-life pictures of them being worn? The last is so aggressively elongated that I'm afraid it'll look funny and be completely ridiculous looking in 5 years.

The look more aggressive in the pictures than they really are.But it's not exactly a Budapester. :) If you're worried they'll look "untrendy" in 5 years, look on the bright side, they'll look cool again in 15. :embar:

At home! 

Ah yes, don't wear them outdoor please. First of all it looks, well..let's just say wear them indoors. :happy: Of course, if you own a mansion, walk around in a robe drinking Whiskey all day and make a living off nude girls, then it's totally fine. And if you answer to the title Maharadja. Also, from a practical point of view, they won't last very long if you'd use them outdoors. Construction.

LeJouvre

Reaction score
my peasant ass did not study in a boarding school. and opera pumps/velvet slippers w/ tux? pffffft.
You never wore black velvet slippers with a tux? or pumps to an opera? You never went to a boarding school?

Man, I'm all tears here.

Don't worry chogall, with good counseling and lots of time, you could get over it.

Or you could blame your parents!

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
USPS dropped off a lovely package courtesy of Nick:

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A "House Slipper" actually also got its name from the "House" to which you belonged at your private school. Like all those Harry Potter stories our kids all read. These English Private School kids were all allocated a "house" to belong to when they first enrolled. The crest of that house was embroidered on a pair of "house slippers". Typically your "house slipper" was the popular "Albert" slipper which everyone loves to use today.

The reason it was not a "soft" is because you would be allowed to slip out of your more formal "dress shoes" and into "something more comfortable" after school classes and lectures were over.

The "house slippers" were then a comfortable shoe/slipper used to walk between your dormitory and your dining room, or your club rooms, library or to any event which the school would be holding, like a school play or dance. You wore your "house slippers" also to events where the school "houses" competed. This slipper was obligatory dress code in private schools, and you would be whacked on the side of the head with a cricket bat if school "prefects" caught you wearing anything not "uniform".

So now the "house slipper" is still known by that name and is generally associated with a hard soled velvet lined Albert with a crest to display your "house" and which is used for small and short trips between your home and the local grocery store on a Sunday, or, to the local Opera, which makes a lot more sense than tight ill fitting patent leather blister busters everyone wears to the Opera. Only the "servants" and the "working class" would need to wear those!!!

A lovely story but one that many people will believe I am afraid, I do not know if you made it up or copied it from elsewhere but this is how internet myths start. A little correct information and a lot of hokum

LeJouvre

Reaction score
A lovely story but one that many people will believe I am afraid, I do not know if you made it up or copied it from elsewhere but this is how internet myths start. A little correct information and a lot of hokum

No, I neither copied it nor did I make it up.

Which part did you find to be "a lot of hokum"

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have also noticed the smell. Maybe Tony wipes his ass on all of the hides before lasting? At least I hope before lasting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads