• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, GG, EG, Corthay and SC use crust (veg tanned) leathers for most of their shoes (no museum). So they dye their shoes superficially (museum calf has a different treatment at the tannery) and then apply waxes.

I do not know about the pearl shoe especifically.
Can anybody tell me whether the pearl grey is a result of using museum leather like Vass or John Lobb or just a result of how these shoes are finished. The variation in colors certainly looks like museum calf anyway.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, GG, EG, Corthay and SC use crust (veg tanned) leathers for most of their shoes (no museum). So they dye their shoes superficially (museum calf has a different treatment at the tannery) and then apply waxes.

I do not know about the pearl shoe especifically.
So are there any significant advantages or disadvantages of doing it either way? Something tells me there would be an advantage somehow of doing during the tanning process, but if there is what would that be?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of pearl are you getting G&G shoes? @ Zapasman
Jajajja, I buy 1 pair of shoe per year!!. I admire GG for different reasons. But it is not my style; too refined for my taste. Although, I would not mine to wear a pair of St James II. Just beautiful shoes for someone else´s feet.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I should start a Subscription Service "Skoaktiebolaget G&G per month". Only $1200/month get the December pair for free - always a style in red or green. :)

So @Leaves can you give us a better idea as to how G&G actually achieves this pearl grey finish? Is it a result of something via tanning like a museum calf, or via dyeing or finishing applied by G&G later?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So are there any significant advantages or disadvantages of doing it either way? Something tells me there would be an advantage somehow of doing during the tanning process, but if there is what would that be?
No, as far as I know. They just have different treatments.

If you like different/special/mixed/unique colours and burnishing go for crust (superficial treatment after tanning). One advantage could be that veg tanned leather breath more than chrome-tanned leathers. It seems you have to be more carefull with maintenance here in order to keep the superficial shades with time.

If you do not like those and prefer one perfect shade of the same colour that impregnates the whole leather go for an aniline chrome-tanned leather. Finished coat. Museum has almost the same treatment (colour/waxes/oils are impregnated in the leather, not superficially). I like aniline leather and love the patina it develops. I do not like burnishing, spit shine and all those finishings.

But be sure I will pull the trigger with crust leather and EG in 2016!!.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, as far as I know.  They just have different treatments.

If you like different/special/mixed/unique colours and burnishing go for crust (superficial treatment after tanning).  One advantage could be that veg tanned leather breath more than chrome-tanned leathers.  It seems you have to be more carefull with maintenance here in order to keep the superficial shades with time.

If you do not like those and prefer one perfect shade of the same colour that impregnates the whole leather go for an aniline  chrome-tanned leather.  Finished coat.  Museum has almost the same treatment (colour/waxes/oils are impregnated in the leather, not superficially).  I like aniline leather and love the patina it develops. I do not like burnishing, spit shine and all those finishings.

But be sure I will pull the trigger with crust leather and EG in 2016!!.

Sounds to me like maintenance of that finishing would certainly be a key advantage if applied during the tanning process and that certainly would make sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads