• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

JonathanCWalker

Reaction score
worship.gif

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
Some good points Mimo - I am fortunate enough to fit into most of the lasts....I truly feel for the ones who need bespoke shoes for medical reason. ..

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On what?  The fact that no one can possibly own G&G's own G&G RTW long enough to tell how well made/durable they are?

Or price and value are two very different things and doesn't correlate especially for footwear?

Honestly I like your input on the subject of GY welted shoes, and for the most part agree with your statement.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank for weighing in there, Big D.

I think, going back to the original "why buy G&G?" question, the biggest issue remains their suitability. Apart from subjective issues of taste, the last shape is genuinely important because of how it fits. And I don't think there's any question that, regardless of miniscule differences in stitching or whatever, a $300 shoe that fits well is empirically better than a $1200 shoe that almost fits.

I've seen shoes in this thread an others, that at least appear to fit almost comically badly - usually where a very narrow last (equals "elegant"; typical issue with English makers IMO) has been bought in a size up to fit, but ends up looking far too long and breaking over the toe. I've done that myself, some years ago, and still haven't had the heart to throw out the burgundy derbies that really don't fit me and have been occasional wears still for about ten years.

We can all be foolish about the shiny things we love. But I think we're most foolish when we deny it! If you love a G&G shoe (and I love a lot of them), and if a certain last fits you brilliantly, then it's probably great value for you when compared to a cheaper shoe that you don't like or doesn't fit well. But as a guess, I think if we all tried on a hundred pairs of shoes blind and picked the ten best fits, I doubt very much that the top most expensive makers would make that top ten very often. So I'm wondering: is it more fortunate to have a foot shaped exactly like a TG73, or EG 888, or a Loake 026?
lol8[1].gif

backed into a corner, could ANY of us truly deny that most of the fit & style exercises around here are nothing more than a narcissistic ego stroke ?
i think we already know that

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mimo and newcomer - very excellent posts.

i think in a sense you are both right, and it really is matter what one is looking for in a shoes purchase.

regarding looks, i have tried a few times to go back and buy shoes closer to the 250-350 range, and i just cant get myself to do it. i find the lasts blobby or far too pointy or just generally unattractive. i really honestly do not understand why your average shoe maker in the 200 - 350 range has such a hard time making lasts that dont look like garbage, just my opinion tho. i dont like all the lasts of JL, GG, EG.... but they all make many last that i love. (sidebar - newcomer, i have the lowndes as well, and the edgware which is on the same last, i think its a great last and its just as pretty as many of the last that shoes in the 1200+ range have to offer)

as far as quality, in my experience the shoes that i have had in the 200 - 350 range did not hold up nearly as well as the shoes i have in the 500+ range. i have had a ton of ferragamos (not the high end ones, the 300 - 400 ones you see in nordstrom), and they are about a 5 year shoe before the leather just looks like crap ime. i have had mezlan, johnston murphy and some others i forget, but none of them really lasted more than 3 - 5 years. they just looked worn down and crappy.

the shoes i have in the 500+ range are all less than 2 years old, but as far as i can tell, they are on the path to hold up far better. the leather looks nicer and less beat up at this stage than the 200 - 350 did at this stage, they feel great and look great. they take a polish better and when i polish them they seem to develop character, not look like i am salvaging a shoe that is one foot out the door (shameless pun).

that being said, for most people, who are not nearly this particular about shoes, and would laugh you out of the room if you said your shoes cost over a grand, and only wear nice shoes from time to time, there is almost no value added for them to go anywhere beyond AE. they are not getting any more bang for their buck in how they will enjoy their purchase.

if you are particular, at least for me, once you turn that corner, there really is no turning back. you just wont be happy if you do.

regarding 500 v 1200 shoes, i really do have a hard time saying that the GGs i have are THAT much better than the CJs/trickers/carminas i have as well. maybe the finishing is better, maybe there is something about the leather that is better, maybe they will last longer, only time will tell. but that is a hard call.

as for GG v all the other shoe makers in that price point and beyond, its just a matter of personal preference. JL, EG, Vass, corthay, cleverly, st crispin, .... they all have their fan base. there is no great reason imo to love one over the other, its just about what appeals to your eyes and tastes.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well said Stitch.

An an artist, I really enjoy the craftsmanship and design that goes into shoes in this nitch bracket.

GY vs hand lasted issues aside, I appreciate the work and artistry involved on both sides of the conversation.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

regarding 500 v 1200 shoes, i really do have a hard time saying that the GGs i have are THAT much better than the CJs/trickers/carminas i have as well. maybe the finishing is better, maybe there is something about the leather that is better, maybe they will last longer, only time will tell. but that is a hard call.

It's the box, have you received a pack from Nick?, the foam, all the nice packaging material, the little card, the dark bags and elegant ligh colored trees, and then you see the burnishing in that beautiful vintage chestnut new Grants and the wonderful medallion, sigh.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well said Stitch.
An an artist, I really enjoy the craftsmanship and design that goes into shoes in this nitch bracket.
GY vs hand lasted issues aside, I appreciate the work and artistry involved on both sides of the conversation.

thanks! what kind of artist are you?

It's the box, have you received a pack from Nick?, the foam, all the nice packaging material, the little card, the dark bags and elegant ligh colored trees, and then you see the burnishing in that beautiful vintage chestnut new Grants and the wonderful medallion, sigh.

i have i have!!! its amazing, i took pictures of the whole thing as i opened it. of course there is a ton of branding that is involved, as with any luxury purchase. and its a combination of the price being what it is because the consumer pays for some of these extras and the seller knowing that need to make the presentation commensurate with the price of the item.

all that being said, it in no way relates to the shoes themselves. though i am sure you were being tongue in cheek, lol.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a current desire for this in a hatch grain.

Aaron

Hatch grain can wait :), I have a sample of espresso leather and it looks awesome. It is much darker than oak leather probably the darkest brown out there. So far we have 2 interested parties anybody else interested in Arran on MH71 last in espresso leather?

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
mimo and newcomer - very excellent posts.

i think in a sense you are both right, and it really is matter what one is looking for in a shoes purchase.

regarding looks, i have tried a few times to go back and buy shoes closer to the 250-350 range, and i just cant get myself to do it. i find the lasts blobby or far too pointy or just generally unattractive. i really honestly do not understand why your average shoe maker in the 200 - 350 range has such a hard time making lasts that dont look like garbage, just my opinion tho. i dont like all the lasts of JL, GG, EG.... but they all make many last that i love. (sidebar - newcomer, i have the lowndes as well, and the edgware which is on the same last, i think its a great last and its just as pretty as many of the last that shoes in the 1200+ range have to offer)

as far as quality, in my experience the shoes that i have had in the 200 - 350 range did not hold up nearly as well as the shoes i have in the 500+ range. i have had a ton of ferragamos (not the high end ones, the 300 - 400 ones you see in nordstrom), and they are about a 5 year shoe before the leather just looks like crap ime. i have had mezlan, johnston murphy and some others i forget, but none of them really lasted more than 3 - 5 years. they just looked worn down and crappy.

the shoes i have in the 500+ range are all less than 2 years old, but as far as i can tell, they are on the path to hold up far better. the leather looks nicer and less beat up at this stage than the 200 - 350 did at this stage, they feel great and look great. they take a polish better and when i polish them they seem to develop character, not look like i am salvaging a shoe that is one foot out the door (shameless pun).

that being said, for most people, who are not nearly this particular about shoes, and would laugh you out of the room if you said your shoes cost over a grand, and only wear nice shoes from time to time, there is almost no value added for them to go anywhere beyond AE. they are not getting any more bang for their buck in how they will enjoy their purchase.

if you are particular, at least for me, once you turn that corner, there really is no turning back. you just wont be happy if you do.

as for GG v all the other shoe makers in that price point and beyond, its just a matter of personal preference. JL, EG, Vass, corthay, cleverly, st crispin, .... they all have their fan base. there is no great reason imo to love one over the other, its just about what appeals to your eyes and tastes.

Nicely put Stitches

One of my colleague once told me when you start spending $500 + on shoes it's purely down to one aesthetic aspiration.

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hatch grain can wait
smile.gif
, I have a sample of espresso leather and it looks awesome. It is much darker than oak leather probably the darkest brown out there. So far we have 2 interested parties anybody else interested in Arran on MH71 last in espresso leather?

would need to be on a double leather sole...but i may be interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads