• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why you say that,
why not worth the money?
You regret goiser whole cut you have?

i would never regret my three pair of goyserer stitched shoes. actually, they are "single" in the sense of that goiser is a double stitch per se.

i never liked triple or more rows. especially, when they are wonky in the unfortunate case of luk-cha.

i used three different makers and all did a formidable job in keeping it discreet and also distinctive in the same event.

dinks are of poor quality. at least the ones in the shoe shop in my town. all of their displayed models look cheap and not up to the standards of a handmade product. i doubt that they have the same level of craftmanship than e.g. vass.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wigmores fit perfectly now

interesting. i didnt know you could just yank those off. what exactly is underneath? pics?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

interesting. i didnt know you could just yank those off. what exactly is underneath? pics?

Should be nothing but the footbed. I have yet to run into a heel pad that wasn't removable.

Those Norvagese welt shoes look ******* awful. Especially that tan contrast one.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, but are they not glued or even stitched down? doesnt that make a mess of the heel area, and possibly make it uncomfortable to walk on? also, i find the pad, especially on my better shoes, to add a great deal of comfort to the shoe, which is extra important if you are wearing the shoes all day.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i would never regret my three pair of goyserer stitched shoes. actually, they are "single" in the sense of that goiser is a double stitch per se.
i never liked triple or more rows. especially, when they are wonky in the unfortunate case of luk-cha.
i used three different makers and all did a formidable job in keeping it discreet and also distinctive in the same event.
dinks are of poor quality. at least the ones in the shoe shop in my town. all of their displayed models look cheap and not up to the standards of a handmade product. i doubt that they have the same level of craftmanship than e.g. vass.

Why craftsmanship cheap?
How is calf they use?

Dink have good shell,
dink have good construction craftsmanship.
Patterns is very basic,
not good traditional pattern like vass.

Me get off topic,
me sorry.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I make no claims to being a 'stylish' dresser...the only thing I own that is bespoke is shoes.
But if I might offer this opinion..."style" isn't about ostentatiousness. It isn't about florid or large gestures.
It is about refinement. Subtlety. Nuance. Just coincidentally (or maybe not), those are some of the hallmarks of "elegance" as well.
Anyone can deviate from those standards a little...just as an expression of personality.
But there's a saying in shoemaking that applies here too, I suspect--"enough of these deviations and it adds up to ugly."
[sigh]

I agree in many contexts, but i would also refer you to a post you yourself made a while ago.

A good deal of this is idiosyncratic...meaning it differs by maker.
Yes, it is largely cosmetic, if that's what you mean. That said, so is a folded edge along the topline, or even a bead. So is a toe cap. So is small, tight neat stitching. So is broguing and gimping. So is antique finishing. Wheeling around the heel seat. "Pricking up" of the welt. None of that has any real functional purpose (although once upon a time there might have been, in some instances).
But just as importantly, it is also an indicator of how skilled and how passionate/committed about shoemaking the maker is.

Personally I find the goyser and bentivegna constructions to be very attractive from photos when done subtly on a casual shoe. Or even ostentatiously.

As long as the proportions match up and the stitching is even and the styling is right, many things can work.

I love those dinkelackers.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose these goyser and bentivegna constructions arouse the same emotional reactions as tattoos, some people see them as decoration other as mutilation. I can only ever warm to them on work boots myself

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

One stitch go into feather,
two stitch go into side of insole using hook awl (it rare) and take 4 year to learn the skill,
one stitch go through welt to midsole,
one stitch go through welt to midsole to outsole.
Dinkelaker maker very very skilled man and well paid.

They still look horrible though don't they.

I suppose these goyser and bentivegna constructions arouse the same emotional reactions as tattoos, some people see them as decoration other as mutilation. I can only ever warm to them on work boots myself

Different strokes for different folks...better than some boring pair of EGs for instance. You need to reach out to a different world methinks FWIW

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One stitch go into feather,
two stitch go into side of insole using hook awl (it rare) and take 4 year to learn the skill,
one stitch go through welt to midsole,
one stitch go through welt to midsole to outsole.
Dinkelaker maker very very skilled man and well paid.

They still look horrible though don't they.

Different strokes for different folks...better than some boring pair of EGs for instance. You need to reach out to a different world methinks FWIW

This is a G & G thread so I suspect that the more refined aesthetic is appropriate here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree in many contexts, but i would also refer you to a post you yourself made a while ago.
Personally I find the goyser and bentivegna constructions to be very attractive from photos when done subtly on a casual shoe. Or even ostentatiously.
As long as the proportions match up and the stitching is even and the styling is right, many things can work.
I love those dinkelackers.

I understand your reservations..and if you like the shoes, so be it. But if you think about it, all the examples I offered in the earlier post are nuanced. Are subtle. There is no contradiction.

To fold the edge...like along the topline rather than expose the raw edge of the leather, is not, strictly speaking, functional--the very same shoe could be made without folding. But it is a refinement. An almost critical one in high end footwear.

Similarly broguing and gimping--the gimping finishes the edge so that the the eye is not confounded by a crudely cut edge. Broguing adds a visual distraction that is marginally attractive. That said, a full brogued shoe would not be considered especially "elegant" or refined by most people.

Pricking up of the welt had a real purpose in another age when leathers were of a different temper. It separated and defined the stitches. Pricking up of the welt still does that, but a shoe could very well be made without pricking up....or more likely just by "fudging" the welt.

But all these techniques are more or less subtle in their effects. Subdued, if you will. They do not draw your eye. You have to look for them. They draw the observant viewer in. They do not scream for attention and make you see them to the exclusion of the shoe itself...as a whole, as a "gestalt," if you like.

Consider how goiser is done...it is comprised of two threads--one closes the inseam, the other is just "woven" in for no apparent reason other than ornamentation. In a sense, it's masquerading as something it's not simply because it's not any more rugged than one thread. It's really just macrame on shoes.

Having said all that, there's a time and a place for even ugly shoes. But I wouldn't call them "stylish."

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics