• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

tomrakewell

Reaction score

It continues to rain G&G - my incoming first purchase from Skoaktiebolaget ...

These look fab and will suit you well. Great choice!

Gazelle

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just been to London to buy a pair of St James 2 on MH71 last. First time in the G&G shop.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this shoe on the specified last rather popular?
Well I was rather disappointed because apparently it's only MTO. Well that's really not a problem, I just needed to be patient, but of course let's see what this shoe looks like on this last on my foot. Nope because they didn't have any on MH71.
Correct me if I'm wrong isn't it a bit of an ask to cough up £1200 for a shoe without seeing what it looks like in person and how it actually fits on your foot?
So I'm very sorry G&G, whilst I love the look of your shoes, if I can't try a pair on in the style, last and size for my feet, then I'm not going to buy them or place an order. So I tootled off down the road and spent a similar ammount on 2 pairs of shoes from C&J.
Looking at the interest in MTO runs on this forum that people buy and 'take a chance' on fit, I don't expect my custom will be overly missed.
I was very disappointed as the trip was made especially to get or order my dream shoe and however limited my funds may be that equates to one lost customer.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just been to London to buy a pair of St James 2 on MH71 last. First time in the G&G shop.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this shoe on the specified last rather popular?
Well I was rather disappointed because apparently it's only MTO. Well that's really not a problem, I just needed to be patient, but of course let's see what this shoe looks like on this last on my foot. Nope because they didn't have any on MH71.
Correct me if I'm wrong isn't it a bit of an ask to cough up £1200 for a shoe without seeing what it looks like in person and how it actually fits on your foot?
So I'm very sorry G&G, whilst I love the look of your shoes, if I can't try a pair on in the style, last and size for my feet, then I'm not going to buy them or place an order. So I tootled off down the road and spent a similar ammount on 2 pairs of shoes from C&J.
Looking at the interest in MTO runs on this forum that people buy and 'take a chance' on fit, I don't expect my custom will be overly missed.
I was very disappointed as the trip was made especially to get or order my dream shoe and however limited my funds may be that equates to one lost customer.

I'm sorry you had that experience, but yes some actually do take a risk and spend that much without trying them on first. Risky as it is in fact some here actually do that with other brands as well to include some that cost as much and some that cost less such as C&J. But your right it is a risk and it's much better to try on first to ensure fit. Unfortunately some of us don't live where some of these shoes are sold. Like I said I'm sorry you had poor experience, but if you stick around here your going to find out that many do this and as result some find it doesn't work out while others find it does. I'm one who does and I am currently waiting on a St James II. I for one hope it works out as many of these types of purchases have in the past. No guarantees, but I have a number of other purchases I have been rather pleased with so far.

Also, maybe if you stick around long enough someone might be able to direct you where and how you might have more success in trying these on.

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

......if I can't try a pair on in the style, last and size for my feet, then I'm not going to buy them or place an order.

I believe the G&G shop on Savile Row has a fitting sample shoe in every size, width and last they produce. So you can try on every variation to find the best fit for your feet. But that sample pair might not come in your preferred style. Just think how many pairs the shop ought to stock to provide a sample pair of every possible combination.

If you cannot see (in your mind's eye) how a particular style might suit your foot (having established the right size by a sample in a different design) you can never go for bespoke in anything. In bespoke, there is nothing to be tried on at the stage you place the order. You hope the fit will come up to your expectations, but you have only the shoemaker's or tailor's reputation to go by. Equally you can pick out a design you like from the shop samples or a sample book, buy you cannot see how it will look on you.

Hopefully the good shoemaker/tailor, taking your physical idiosyncrasies into account, will advise you which designs might be better suited and which ones might be less or not at all suited to you.

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe the G&G shop on Savile Row has a fitting sample shoe in every size, width and last they produce.

Not quite - based on my regular visits to the store, I'd say they have sample shoes in the various sizes and widths (can't attest to how comprehensive the range is as I'd obviously only be interested in trying on sizes within a narrow range), but not on every last. The sample shoes are on the MH71 if I'm not mistaken. So unless you are a fan of the MH71, or can work with their stock range, there is an element of risk unfortunately when commissioning an MTO.

The sample sales are a great way to see sizes in different lasts and styles - hit-and-miss, so obviously only works if you can come to London easily enough that going back empty-handed doesn't represent too much of a cost/time outlay in terms of travel.

Them's the breaks, I guess.

Last edited:

Gazelle

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.
In response Bengal the shoe is on their RTW list. All shoes look different when they are up or down sized or actually on your feet, I agree that I would have been well fitted and that a St James on MH71 would fit much the same as another shoe on MH71, so if my feet fitted the last then I would be well served. But what would a St James in MH71 have looked like in my size on my feet? Who knows. What would St James have looked like in the various colour options in person in the flesh?
This alas I am likely to never know. For example the MH71's in person look narrower at the toe than the photographs on the net. Is it wrong to expect to see at least one example of a RTW shoe on that particular last in that particular style?
On their web page St James 2 on MH71 is a RTW shoe in vintage cherry. Actually the assistant advised me that in any colour it is only available as a MTO. Is the assistant wrong or is the website incorrect.
Do I expect a flagship store to carry a complete range of their RTW shoes in available last shapes? Yes infact I really do unless they were sold out of a style for some reason.
This experience hasn't changed my love of their product and I will always continue to admire their styles and their work and wish them well and success in all their ventures. I am just surprised that their flagship store is so poorly stocked when you consider the range of shoes on offer from, for example, vendors on this forum.
As I said, I doubt that the loss of my custom will put any significant dent in their future business and I am happy with the two pairs of shoes that I did buy instead. Coincidentally both u-throat Oxfords that fit like a glove, look great on, are very well made and are really only lacking in the very special polishing and patina department that G&G do so well; and I can do that myself with a little effort on my part.

Adamjonzey

Reaction score
The do normally stock fitting shoes in a huge amount of widths on MH71. Obviously not in every style.

The website actually only shows vintage cherry inTG73 not MH71 but the vintage oak in MH71. The website does not always equate to what they actually stock, having never ordered from the website I don't know if ordering will mean a wait? Because it shows an original patter St James in vintage Rioja and I don't believe this is actually in stock in saville row.

Here obviously is some disparity between website and store, but I have no idea why or if that is to change. If you notice some of the photos are different. The ones on a wooden floor tend to be (not in all cases) the ones they don't really stock in the shop.

Shame you had such a bad experience. I actually find G&G the best shoe shop in Mayfair with the best staff. They tend to be not bothered in EG, too sales orientated in Crockett (with the exception of the small one on jermyn street not the flagship) a bit stuffy sometimes in Lobb. Only really cleverley is in the same league as G&G but that is a very different sort of store.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But what would a St James in MH71 have looked like in my size on my feet? Who knows. What would St James have looked like in the various colour options in person in the flesh?

My advice still stands: don't ever go for bespoke if you cannot imagine how something in a different design or a different colour would look on you.

Do I expect a flagship store to carry a complete range of their RTW shoes in available last shapes?

G&G is probably the only place left where you can get a certain design made-up on the last of your choice. EG used to do that, but have stopped doing so in recent years. Now a certain design (even made-to-order) is only available on one or two lasts (but of course in all the different sizes and width the last is available), C&J only do each design on one last and (usually) in only one width.

I am happy with the two pairs of shoes that I did buy instead. Coincidentally both u-throat Oxfords that fit like a glove, look great on, are very well made and are really only lacking in the very special polishing and patina department that G&G do so well.

But you do apply different standard to G&G and C&J: in G&G you expect to find style X, in last Y and colour Z. In C&J you were looking just for shoes (without too many preconceived ideas; so, you found two pairs which you liked and which fitted you well.

Don't you think if had looked with a similar open mind in G&G for something you liked, you might have found something?

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you do apply different standard to G&G and C&J: in G&G you expect to find style X, in last Y and colour Z. In C&J you were looking just for shoes (without too many preconceived ideas; so, you found two pairs which you liked and which fitted you well.

Don't you think if had looked with a similar open mind in G&G for something you liked, you might have found something?
I think it's completely justifiable to hold G&G to a higher standard than C&J. After all, like he said, he can buy 2 pairs of C&J for the price of 1 pair of G&G. £1200 is a lot of money to spend on shoes that aren't what you're looking for when you first set foot in the shop.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of us in USA are now wishing we have retailers that stocks G&G trail shoes in different widths and sizes. I can hear @JubeiSpiegel screaming now all the way from Florida.

@Gazelle you had extremely unrealistic expectations. G&G offer 5 different lasts, 4 different widths and 18 different sizes. if they are to stock all available options just size, width and last wise (never mind leather) this would come to around 1800 pairs of shoes. G&G would need a warehouse for that not a retail store.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying a new brand definitely comes with risks and from my experience, I really don't know how things work out until I get a number of miles of use with the shoes (a number being about >50 miles). Only then can I say "this last works" or not. After a number of brands, I've settled with a handful (EG, G&G, & Alden) which compliment my needs. I do flirt with other brands (e.g., JL, Vass) because of various curiosity but I know my staple. I still plan to try out StC and a handful of others, but there hasn't been styles that are different enough that has pushed me to pick up a pair.

I believe there are many here on SF where price isn't much of a concern, but in your statement it was an important factor. If so, maybe it's more prudent to get C&J and see your comfortable cost window. In regards to MTO/fit concerns, many of those involved have experience with G&G so it's not too much of a risk. Also, individuals such as myself fit well with all their lasts in the same size/width (except the KN14 which I take a narrower with as it's their slip-on last); however, this vary with others.

Wear your new kicks well and when it's time for a resole/refurb, maybe you'll gander at G&G again.

blue2007

Reaction score
Just got a pair of the ST James II in MH71 Vintage Cherry. A bi tight around the joint ball but hopefully they loosen up a bit. I also have a TG73 Sinatra. Both great styles. Not sure which last I like more though.

armsignet

Reaction score

@Gazelle - Perhaps this is obvious, but I will also note that click-and-mortar merchants like Bespoke England and Skoaktiebolaget offer extremely helpful sizing advice. If you tell them how other makers' lasts and sizes fit you, they will recommend a size for G&G. While an online order is also risky, I have had 100% success with the advise from both of these merchants for sizing in G&G, Carmina, and St. Crispin's.

So, I guess my advice is, when you are ready to make another shoe purchase, try these venues too. If you get a shoe that does not fit, you can recoup much of your money reselling a mint shoe here, and you should then know what your size is. The loss is cheaper than a trip to London for most.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads