• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)

Stone

Reaction score

?

Sort of a hybrid of this and a push-up bra - exactly.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Foo, while I'm sure you've done your due diligence, what are the laws on bringing those frames into the US? The shells themselves are grandfathered (and Maison Bonnet has a unique blessing from the French government), but I was under the impression that the CITES-driven laws forbid the importation of anything made from Hawksbill after 1973?

Chambertin

Reaction score
I've been following this thread since day one, and unfortunately I don't have anything to add, other than my thanks! I've learned so much from this thread, compared to the noise, that is styleforum. It's been truly great. You guys have so much knowledge.

jedwards

Reaction score
Sorry, there is something a bit sick about willingly being a tailor for the likes of Mugabe. Awful man.

Would have been in better taste to simply turn him away.

HighToned

Reaction score
Sorry, there is something a bit sick about willingly being a tailor for the likes of Mugabe. Awful man.

Would have been in better taste to simply turn him away.

Well, tailors cannot accept customers based on a review of their political beliefs.

jedwards

Reaction score

Well, tailors cannot accept customers based on a review of their political beliefs. 

Sorry I disagree.

This is not, as happens with his wife and was reported AGAIN in the British press this weekend, his wife walking into a shop unannounced and buying a million pair of Ferragamo shoes as any other rich customer would. There's an argument to say "just serve her and get this vile and cruel woman out of the shop as quickly as possible". Anything to get rid of her quickly.

That is very different from a tailoring appointment which as we all know, takes a lot of appointments (you travelling there, or them travelling to you) and has quite an intimate relationship.
Any tailor would be perfectly within their rights to say "Sorry, we are not accepting new clients anymore" if they wanted to save face.

Ridiculous to say imply this is just a matter of personal politics, left versus right.

The man is a dictator for God's sake and is oppressing and killing both black and white people in his own country.

Any tailor who KNOWS they are serving such a man needs to take a good, long look in one of they many mirrors available to them.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought about the topic once I read of the relationship between disgusting African leaders and Parisian tailors from RJman. These tailors own their companies and usually have enough business to sustain the trade even though they'd occasionally show the door to a dictator or two, but would this constitute a breach of French law? They can show the finger and remain morally in the right, but would it be allowed by the authorities? The scum could, naturally, make their own decisions should they feel that faces had been lost.

HighToned

Reaction score
Sorry I disagree.

This is not, as happens with his wife and was reported AGAIN in the British press this weekend, his wife walking into a shop unannounced and buying a million pair of Ferragamo shoes as any other rich customer would. There's an argument to say "just serve her and get this vile and cruel woman out of the shop as quickly as possible". Anything to get rid of her quickly.

That is very different from a tailoring appointment which as we all know, takes a lot of appointments (you travelling there, or them travelling to you) and has quite an intimate relationship.
Any tailor would be perfectly within their rights to say "Sorry, we are not accepting new clients anymore" if they wanted to save face.

Ridiculous to say imply this is just a matter of personal politics, left versus right.

The man is a dictator for God's sake and is oppressing and killing both black and white people in his own country.

Any tailor who KNOWS they are serving such a man needs to take a good, long look in one of they many mirrors available to them

Is-it acceptale for the American president Barack Obama ?
Ok, he got a Nobel prize, he got elected by American people.... But he is still responsible for drone war around the world killing many innocent people.

I took president Obama but same thing for Putin or many others.
As a citizen of the world, I'm against any oppressing regime from any world leaders. But I don't think tailors needs to show their political beliefs.
They need to offer the best quality of service and stay neutral.

Last edited:

asturiano

Reaction score
Who is the tailor for the King of Morocco? Is his son also wearing a tailored suit? He must be 10 and he will outgrow the suit in just a couple of years!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is-it acceptale for the American president Barack Obama ?
Ok, he got a Nobel prize, he got elected by American people.... But he is still responsible for drone war around the world killing many innocent people.

I took president Obama but same thing for Putin or many others.
As a citizen of the world, I'm against any oppressing regime from any world leaders. But I don't think tailors needs to show their political beliefs.
They need to offer the best quality of service and stay neutral. 

Tailoring is not an ethical job especially when your suits start at $8000 ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads