• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First suit critique needed, will be doing interviews within 1-2 months!

Sentenced

Reaction score
Hello there everyone. Recently purchased my first suit from JCrew at 38S and 32 waist pics below:

TxqjxWT.jpg

While I'm satisfied with the sleeve length (probably need very slight reductions?) and length of the jacket itself, I'm worried that it's a bit tight around the shoulders and waist. My apprehension with sizing up to 39 is 1. JCrew doesn't carry 39S, only 39 regular and 2. I've down like 10lbs and am in a continued process of weightloss right now so I'm worried that a sized up jacket would be too big if I continue dieting & exercising.

The good news is I can still return/exchange it so that's not an issue. Thanks in advance for your advice and critiques.

(Apologies in advance for the mediocre photo quality, for whatever reason they look much worse on the PC than in the iPhone XR gallery)

papado

Reaction score
Hello there everyone. Recently purchased my first suit from JCrew at 38S and 32 waist pics below:

While I'm satisfied with the sleeve length (probably need very slight reductions?) and length of the jacket itself, I'm worried that it's a bit tight around the shoulders and waist. My apprehension with sizing up to 39 is 1. JCrew doesn't carry 39S, only 39 regular and 2. I've down like 10lbs and am in a continued process of weightloss right now so I'm worried that a sized up jacket would be too big if I continue dieting & exercising.

The good news is I can still return/exchange it so that's not an issue. Thanks in advance for your advice and critiques.

(Apologies in advance for the mediocre photo quality, for whatever reason they look much worse on the PC than in the iPhone XR gallery)

The shoulders look like they bunch up over your traps and doesn't lay as it should--I don't think it's too narrow per se but it's at minimum not a great fit. Similarly I see the upper sleeves are all bunched up as well which shouldn't happen either. Not sure if these two issue are due to the fact it was crushed during shipping or just poor fit.

Do you know the material for the suit? It looks almost like cotton which I wouldn't recommend if this is a first suit.

GentsGuild

Reaction score

TxqjxWT.jpg

Minor tweaks on shoulder size and perhaps taking the leg length up a touch would improve the fit. However, as @papado says, the key thing here is the material.

This looks like cotton or similar, which would be quite an unusual choice for a business environment. Cotton trousers or jacket work fine, but together it can look a bit like a uniform, rather than a suit. I'd suggest sticking to something with a wool blend at least. It will be generally more wearable and will solve much of the bunching and creasing you're seeing at the moment.

In terms of thinking about suits and the fit you have here, you are already ahead of most of your peers. Great effort.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I like about SF. Two comments, right on the money.

Fit is good, not great. OP is correct about sleeve length. It's better than 90% of the suits you see on the street but the room for improvement is there. If it is cotton, return it and start over.

All I can add is that IMO J Crew is not a real player in the world of suits. For a little bit more money you can have a made in USA Brooks Brothers suit. Abe Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama didn't wear J Crew suits. They wore Brooks Brothers.

Sentenced

Reaction score
Firstly, thanks so much for the critique guys! I've lurked this forum for ages and you guys are lifesavers.

The shoulders look like they bunch up over your traps and doesn't lay as it should--I don't think it's too narrow per se but it's at minimum not a great fit. Similarly I see the upper sleeves are all bunched up as well which shouldn't happen either. Not sure if these two issue are due to the fact it was crushed during shipping or just poor fit.

Do you know the material for the suit? It looks almost like cotton which I wouldn't recommend if this is a first suit.

Yes, it's a linen-cotton blend suit. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head since I'm on mobile and not at home at the moment but I'd guess out of memory 60-40 cotton/linen? Now that I think about, it IS a spring/summer suit which was probably not a good buy for a first suit..

Minor tweaks on shoulder size and perhaps taking the leg length up a touch would improve the fit. However, as @papado says, the key thing here is the material.

This looks like cotton or similar, which would be quite an unusual choice for a business environment. Cotton trousers or jacket work fine, but together it can look a bit like a uniform, rather than a suit. I'd suggest sticking to something with a wool blend at least. It will be generally more wearable and will solve much of the bunching and creasing you're seeing at the moment.

In terms of thinking about suits and the fit you have here, you are already ahead of most of your peers. Great effort.

Thank you. I'm definitely gonna return it in that case and try on a similar sized (38S) wool suit instead.

This is what I like about SF. Two comments, right on the money.

Fit is good, not great. OP is correct about sleeve length. It's better than 90% of the suits you see on the street but the room for improvement is there. If it is cotton, return it and start over.

All I can add is that IMO J Crew is not a real player in the world of suits. For a little bit more money you can have a made in USA Brooks Brothers suit. Abe Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama didn't wear J Crew suits. They wore Brooks Brothers.

Thanks! I went with JCrew because it's a relatively reliable and familiar brand and I didn't wanna spend too much on an interview suit atm. The field I work in is relatively casual, not as bad as compsci but more like shirt/tie + slacks instead of a full suit. Even blazers/sport coats are rare and out of the ordinary. I'll keep what you wrote in mind though, as I know BB suits drop to $300 pretty often and the quality is definitely leagues above JCrew.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The field I work in is relatively casual, not as bad as compsci but more like shirt/tie + slacks instead of a full suit. Even blazers/sport coats are rare and out of the ordinary.

Please don't wear a tie unless you are wearing a jacket that day.

Sentenced

Reaction score
Please don't wear a tie unless you are wearing a jacket that day.
Yeah, I usually stick to pullovers or just no tie. It's an interesting situation in certain offices where its technically wrong to wear shirt+tie no jacket but would look out of place to wear a jacket in the first place.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads