• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket Alterations Advice

maz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I will be attending a wedding for the first time since the pandemic started. As a result of lockdowns, I've put on around 8kg most notably around the waist which I just can't seem to shed.

I went suit shopping yesterday to see what options I had. I found one which I quite liked - Ted Baker Modern Fit Suit

I'm usually a size 36S, but there was some jacket gape (because I apparently have a deep chest) which didn't look good at all, and the back was a bit tight.

The salesperson recommended that I get one size up (38R - they didn't have the short version), which did help with the gaping a bit but it was still there. However, the arm and jacket lengths would need to be altered, the waist would need to be brought in slightly and the gaping would need to be adjusted as well. The jacket was comfortable but the shoulders did look a bit boxy.

My question is, should I go for the bigger size and get everything adjusted? Will/can tailoring solve the gaping issue? And will tailoring to this extent not ruin the overall the look of the jacket?

My budget for this suit is approx $700 AUD + ~100 for tailoring. I don't think 800$ would be enough for a MTM suit?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 96

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That suit model doesn't fit you very well. As you noted, it's boxy. I would just try a different model.

Have you checked out Spier & Mackay?

BTW, the bottom-most button on a tailored jacket should not be buttoned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads