• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First pair of nice jeans

bvbellomo

Reaction score
41 years old, I wear jeans 80% of the time I don't wear shorts. Most are over 5 years old and cheap to begin with, but actually look okay. More often, I find myself wearing jeans with nice shoes and shirt on a date. The jeans that fit best are 34 inch waist and 32 inch length. I have 16.5" inch calves and 26" thighs, so while I am not a bodybuilder, going too skinny will look ridiculous.

I know there are a lot of denim obsessed people on this forum, and I really only started to do my research. I am not looking for anything high maintenance, or a new hobby - something that doesn't need any alterations besides hemming the cuffs, and can be machine washed and hung to dry. Since I am only getting 1 pair, cost isn't much of an issue.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The forum is somewhat split on this, but I'm a huge fan of raw denim. I know there's a lot of weird online culture surrounding raw denim -- lots of guys talking about sick fades and not washing your jeans. If you're not yet into the stuff, it can sound kind of goofy.

When you put on your first pair of raw denim jeans, they also don't feel very comfortable. Often they're a bit stiff and the fabric doesn't drape well. Depending on the weave, the inside of the jeans also doesn't feel as comfortable as pre-washed denim.

At the risk of sounding cliche, if you give the jeans some time, they really do develop better-looking fades. It's hard to describe this without having gone through the process yourself. There's just something about authentically worn denim that looks better, to my eye anyway, than pre-washed denim.

If you're the kind of guy who wears jeans 80% of the time, they may be well suited to you as well.

If you're near Self Edge, I would just stop by one of their stores. They have locations in NYC, San Francisco, and Portland. Or if you have another shop near you that specializes in high-end raw denim jeans, go in and tell them what you like or don't like about the fit of your current pair. That's usually the best way to get a good pair of jeans.

Heddels also has a jean finder that allows you to hone in on different parts depending on the measurements you want

grayfox

Reaction score
At 27 years old and after going through a raw denim phase myself I'm at the point where I'd rather spend the money on a nice trouser or pant. But, the last two pairs of jeans I've bought are the Levis 501 and it's really hard to go wrong with those. They aren't expensive and come in a versatile dark wash.

I still wear a pair from Orslow from time to time, it's probably my favourite 'serious' pair of jeans ever, and it comes washed so you aren't stuck with stiffness. Also the fit is basically based on old Levi's haha

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 27 years old and after going through a raw denim phase myself I'm at the point where I'd rather spend the money on a nice trouser or pant.

I own only one bleached pair of jeans and a black pair. That's all I need. I don't do blue/indigo jeans anymore.

The rest of my pants are cotton twill (so many colors to choose from and more expansive in styling), and chinos. I don't miss indigo jeans at all. I find them too boring and basic.

I also own about 30 pairs of shorts. I wear shorts in cold November. Everyone gets to see my sexy hairy legs.

P.S: I'm an alpha male.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd pick-up a pair of RRL low straight fit off this forum and wear in good health!

bvbellomo

Reaction score
After more reading, I ordered a Naked and Famous Strong Guy, under $100 and should give me some experience with raw denim

bvbellomo

Reaction score
I did look at other brands, what was recommended here, as well as higher end Japanese brands. Very few options for narrow waist and wide thighs. I could probably wear Easy Guys as well, but other brands just aren't wide thighed without going way up in waist.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did look at other brands, what was recommended here, as well as higher end Japanese brands. Very few options for narrow waist and wide thighs. I could probably wear Easy Guys as well, but other brands just aren't wide thighed without going way up in waist.

Not really. Eternal 884, Flat head 3005 and 3009, Sugarcane Okinawa, Hawaii, and 47, Studio d'Artisan 103 and 101, Samurai 0500, among others will all start raw true to size in the waist and shrink down 2" from there with less shrinkage in the thigh.

And some of these are stubborn to stretch out in the waist, meaning you can keep the waist hovering around the shrinked size while maintaining that voluminous thigh.

On almost all the models I listed in size 36 you'll end up with a 34" waist while maintaining a 13.5" to 14" thigh. No small potatoes.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TCB Slim 50s or 50s if you want a raw straight leg jean with lots of thigh room and a relatively trim top block, with a bit of a taper. Raw will shrink in the length, not waist, or you can get a one-wash version. I'm a cyclist and they're super comfortable, traditionally styled with minimal branding, but interesting denim that will fade any way you like depending on how you wash them. And under $200 I think. For a bit more coin I'd suggest Orslow 107s.

You might consider getting them in black for your next pair. As some have noted, the recent fit trend is slightly dad jean-ish: mid rise, with a taper. Kind of like the old Levis 550s, but not quite such an extreme taper.

bvbellomo

Reaction score
Not really. Eternal 884, Flat head 3005 and 3009, Sugarcane Okinawa, Hawaii, and 47, Studio d'Artisan 103 and 101, Samurai 0500, among others will all start raw true to size in the waist and shrink down 2" from there with less shrinkage in the thigh.

And some of these are stubborn to stretch out in the waist, meaning you can keep the waist hovering around the shrinked size while maintaining that voluminous thigh.

On almost all the models I listed in size 36 you'll end up with a 34" waist while maintaining a 13.5" to 14" thigh. No small potatoes.

It is also hard to guess how much something will shrink. 'Selvage', 'one wash', 'raw denim', 'sanfordized' are all words that appear, sometimes together. And it isn't like I can try these on in a fitting room or even order online and resell as new or send them back if they don't. I am worried about a $300 blow out in either the thigh or seat after the first wash.

bvbellomo

Reaction score
Here is what the sugar cane Hawaii says:

These jeans are made of one-washed unsanforized denim, when washed the denim will not shrink in the waist or length. Please keep this in mind when choosing your size. The denim will also stretch in the waist up to 1.5" after approximately 30 wears.

One wash unsanfordized? If they literally expand 1.5" in the waist from the size listed, but don't change otherwise, I'd need a 33 at least to fit the thighs. At 34.5" I can wear them with a belt, especially if I overeat for the holidays, but at this price I want a better fit.

bvbellomo

Reaction score
I did want to post a follow up in case anyone is following.

The Strong Guy jeans were exactly what I was looking for - loose legs without a circus tent waist. However after wearing them a few times, they are too loose. These are not the sort of jeans you'd wear to a good restaurant, they are definitely baggy. There are body builders who will fill the thighs and then some, but very few walking around with 21" calf muscles. And while I like the look of black denim, it is harder to match with shirts - most of mine are blue or white or a combination, and IMO that looks better with indigo jeans. They also stink - they smelled okay when I opened them, but after a few days, the sulfur really comes through.

I picked up a pair of indigo Easy Guy jeans, and I think I will wear them more. The thighs also seem to be more generous than I expected. Both are well made, and since I bought them on special, I paid less for both than I budgeted for 1.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads