• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Pair of Mid-Priced Smart Shoes, Help! - UK

Tibby

Reaction score
Hi all,
http://www.styleforum.net/forums/threads/add/forumId/5
Apologies on asking for help, as I tend to believe someone should show themselves to be part of a community before taking something from it, but urgent times call for urgent measures.

I am attending a wedding on Saturday, and I have decided to let this co-inside with me purchasing my first pair of 'proper' shoes, i.e. not a sub-£100 pair that are difficult to re-sole or are bad quality.
I am looking to keep it around the £200 mark, and have mainly been looking at Loakes so far as a great British brand.

In terms of delivery time, I can pop down to a store in London on Thursday after work to pick them up, or if they do next day delivery (I'm not sure if Loake or the such have lead times on their shoes?).

Anyway, my eye is currently on the following, but I am open to any suggestions:

Loake Buckingham - Thinking Dark Brown

Loake Strand - Thinking Burgundy

Barker Flynn - Cedar Calf

Barker Windsor - Cedar Calf

The suit I will be pairing it with for the wedding is a Charcoal grey 2 piece, with peak lapels (not too wide, not too slim) from Reiss (Titled 'Prince'), but I wouldn't mind fitting them into to my working life where I commonly wear navy khakis.

I would also like to find a belt to pair with it, but that's a side-thing.

Thanks for looking, and any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer Loake over Baker, however CJ benchgrade does worth the extra few pennies.

Generally, match belt material and colour to the shoe, however I find a good suede belt prevails

Poincare

Reaction score
Those Loake Strand are definitely my favourite out of those.

I think burgundy would be more versatile than the other colours pictured. As you mention you'll be pairing them with navy khakis - well, a brighter brown or tan will probably look too conspicuous. You could wear the burgundy ones everyday and people won't notice.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I prefer Loake over Baker, however CJ benchgrade does worth the extra few pennies.

Generally, match belt material and colour to the shoe, however I find a good suede belt prevails

This

Time seems to be the biggest constraint here so personally i would go with the Loake 1880 line (best) but you may want to have a browse round Herring Shoes as they do their own line which is within your budget and they are a delight to deal with and know their shoes. Premier line (Cheaney) if you can but their classic is also decent as i believe theyre Loake made to Herring standards. Time and money is always the constraining factors here. Also if you call and tell them theyre reqd for Saturday i'm sure theyll have them there in plenty of time. Good luck !!

PS I prefer semi brogue captoes to full brogues for business as well as what you intend them to be used for ie the wedding, just my preference. Let us know what you eventually choose with the obligatory pics!!

By the way welcome to the forum!!

Tibby

Reaction score
Thank you all, I'm going to fire an e-mail to Loake on the Strand's, and see what their turnaround time is. If they can do next-day I'll order online, else I'll make the trek into their store (currently working outside of London).

Tibby

Reaction score
Apologies for the double post:

I have spoken to Loake, and a helpful gent called Oliver has directly booked the courier for my order, and they should be with me by tomorrow!

I went for the Burgundy Strand's in the end.

Pics to come soon!

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have spoken to Loake, and a helpful gent called Oliver has directly booked the courier for my order, and they should be with me by tomorrow!

Pics to come soon!

Good choice wear in good health !!

Tibby

Reaction score

Pics to come soon!

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This
Time seems to be the biggest constraint here so personally i would go with the Loake 1880 line (best) but you may want to have a browse round Herring Shoes as they do their own line which is within your budget and they are a delight to deal with and know their shoes. Premier line (Cheaney) if you can but their classic is also decent as i believe theyre Loake made to Herring standards. Time and money is always the constraining factors here.

+1 The Herring premier line is really good "bang for the bucks". Even the "Herring Classic" line is worth a look, should be on par - both quality and price wise - to the Loake 1880 collection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads