• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally got my first Jantzen

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, after almost two years of trying, I finally got my first Jantzen shirt today. I must say, I am pretty amazed at the quality and craftsmenship of this shirt. Perfect pattern matching at all seams, which is particularly amazing ocnsidering its a checkered shirt. The fact that they were able to match the pattern at the split in the split yoke and the shoulder seam is just dumbfounding. The fit is almost perfect out of the box, though I may have to make a few tweaks after it goes to the cleaners where it may shrink a bit. However, I am very satisfied and I hope I am now permanently off of the Jantzen shitlist and that I will continue to get shirts on a regular basis. Oh yeah, for those that may be wondering, it took about a month and a half from when I ordered.

biggrin.gif

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Well, after almost two years of trying, I finally got my first Jantzen shirt today. I must say, I am pretty amazed at the quality and craftsmenship of this shirt. Perfect pattern matching at all seams, which is particularly amazing ocnsidering its a checkered shirt. The fact that they were able to match the pattern at the split in the split yoke and the shoulder seam is just dumbfounding. The fit is almost perfect out of the box, though I may have to make a few tweaks after it goes to the cleaners where it may shrink a bit. However, I am very satisfied and I hope I am now permanently off of the Jantzen shitlist and that I will continue to get shirts on a regular basis. Oh yeah, for those that may be wondering, it took about a month and a half from when I ordered.

biggrin.gif

Well, I don't know about "dumbfounding," but it's a nice touch particularly for a shirt of that price.

Please do follow up after you've washed it a few times. Some shirts shrink more than others, so it's hard to judge fit pre-laundering.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Well, I don't know about "dumbfounding," but it's a nice touch particularly for a shirt of that price.

Please do follow up after you've washed it a few times. Some shirts shrink more than others, so it's hard to judge fit pre-laundering.

Yes, what I should say, is that it is dumbfounding that they would put that much attention to detail in a shirt that costs $45. My other MTM shirts are at least twice the price and do not have the same attention to detail.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
I think the Asian MTM makers by and large do a great job of pattern matching, although this is a "feature" to which I don't attach very much importance. Overall fit is most important, followed by a tie between fabric and stitching quaility IMO.

The really amusing thing is that certain makers like T&A won't match patterns on a $300 shirt. It can't be that hard...
confused.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
I think the Asian MTM makers by and large do a great job of pattern matching, although this is a "feature" to which I don't attach very much importance. Overall fit is most important, followed by a tie between fabric and stitching quaility IMO.

The really amusing thing is that certain makers like T&A won't match patterns on a $300 shirt. It can't be that hard...
confused.gif

The thing about fit, is that, in my opinion, i think that there's an acceptable range of fit, not just a single perfect fit - especially in the body of a shirt. The most important area, I would say is for the shoulder, sleeves and collar to fit properly. How closely the body fits seems to me to be a matter of personal taste. For example, i take my shirts a little looser than most of the guys on this forum prefer (I see a lot of guys in the critique my jantzen threads wearing shirts that are skin tight in the chest and waist, I prefer something a little looseer than that). Once you get all of these things worked out, it's all good.

I also agree that fabric quality and construction are important, but better fabric often comes at a pretty high premium. For example, the fabric quaity of my Cego, Hemrajani, Chan and this Jantzen shirt are pretty equivalent, even though the range of price in those shirts is from $45 to $150. In order to get into the really luxurious shirting fabrics, you have to get shirts in the $300+ range (or so it seems to me). As far as construction, it seems to me that there's a law of diminishing marginal returns.

So, for those of us that aren't ready to jump into the $300+ per shirt range, that kind of leaves little details like pattern matching, button quality, choice of cuffs and collars, etc. for us to base our decision on.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
How closely the body fits seems to me to be a matter of personal taste. For example, i take my shirts a little looser than most of the guys on this forum prefer (I see a lot of guys in the critique my jantzen threads wearing shirts that are skin tight in the chest and waist, I prefer something a little looseer than that).

Agree 100% with this. Some of the examples in the "Critique my Jantzen" threads look like they would be unwearable after laundering.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also agree that fabric quality and construction are important, but better fabric often comes at a pretty high premium. For example, the fabric quaity of my Cego, Hemrajani, Chan and this Jantzen shirt are pretty equivalent, even though the range of price in those shirts is from $45 to $150. In order to get into the really luxurious shirting fabrics, you have to get shirts in the $300+ range (or so it seems to me). As far as construction, it seems to me that there's a law of diminishing marginal returns.

Maybe it's my puritanical streak, but I value fit and construction much more than luxury of fabric. I'm satisfied with a nice, soft, durable cotton, and would prefer a shirt to be long-lived than super luxurious to the touch. So Jantzen hits pretty much all my buttons.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I value fit and construction much more than luxury of fabric.
+1, same with suits.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
+1, same with suits.

+2, amen.

odor, glad the Jantzen worked out for you. any particular details in your shirt stand out, or did you go with a basic workhorse shirt?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
+2, amen.

odor, glad the Jantzen worked out for you. any particular details in your shirt stand out, or did you go with a basic workhorse shirt?

+3.

No, not standout details on this one. I wanted to go simple so that even if the measurements didn't work out quite right, I could still wear it without looking silly. I do dig some of the details though, like the thick MOP buttons, chevron split yoke, and monogramming inside of the yoke.

As far as fit, I think I'm going to have to make a few slight adjustments. The biggest adjustment is that I'm pretty ssure after it shrinks a little bit that I'm going to have to lengthen the sleeves - at least by .5 inch each, if not more.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've thrown all my Jantzen shirts in the wash at a handwash setting cold/cold water, then dry delicate low heat so they come out slightly damp, then iron....and havent noticed any shrinkage to the collar or sleeves. I did accidentally wash one of my white oxford cotton shirts in hot/hot water and it shrank like 2 sizes so I collected the buttons to use in another shirt.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I've thrown all my Jantzen shirts in the wash at a handwash setting cold/cold water, then dry delicate low heat so they come out slightly damp, then iron....and havent noticed any shrinkage to the collar or sleeves. I did accidentally wash one of my white oxford cotton shirts in hot/hot water and it shrank like 2 sizes so I collected the buttons to use in another shirt.

Now that I'm working, I don't have enough time to wash and iron my shirts myself anymore. I just bring them to the dry cleaners. I haven't actually noticed much shrinking on any of my other MTM shirts after bringing them to the cleaners, so we'll see what happens after this shirt goes through a couple times. After that, I'll make the necessary adjustments and I'll reorder.

CaptChaos

Reaction score
Welcome to the Jantzen club. I've had my Jantzen shirts for over and year and some have been washed 10-20 times. I have not seen any appreciable shrinkage on any of them.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats, Odoreater -- I'll have to try Jantzen one of these days.
Now that I'm working, I don't have enough time to wash and iron my shirts myself anymore. I just bring them to the dry cleaners.
Does anyone here wash your shirts yourself, but send them to the drycleaner for ironing only? I'm wondering if that's a decent compromise that allows you to at least manage the care they're laundered with without spending all the time on ironing. I've been washing and ironing my own for a while now, but I'm starting to get lazier. Er, I mean, busier.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads