• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

natiekell

Reaction score
here's a post a saw of the 257 in tan: thanks to sf member milosh for the original pics from the post.
Originally Posted by milosh
My 257 arrived yesterday and it's great. It looks great and is definitely the right size. I snapped a few pictures today:
_DSC6047.jpg
_DSC6051.jpg
_DSC6058.jpg

Oh I LOVE this one!

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found this post of your K:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/272186/fyi-filson-red-label-bags-in-the-us/0_40#post_4914548
I have been e-mailing Filson over the last few days and got some good info from them. It looks like the over priced proxy service for the bags is not needed for much longer for those that want them. According to Filson the Red Label bags will be sold in the US through Urban Outfitters, Nordstrom and Paragon. They did not give a specific date, but said to keep an eye on their websites in the near future.

Nordstrom does not have the red label items online, but they DO have the 256 and 257 in both tan and brown at the moment. For those that are looking. Just one of the many public services that I provide.

After that I got n more word from Filson and none of those places carry the briefcase. They do carry the totes and the zippered totes.

tomatic

Reaction score
also see my previous post regarding the red label:

"I got the navy version and sold it a week later - it's softer but you'll see every bit of dust on it and it's very hard to clean. never happens with the otter green version. also, the leather feels a lot cheaper - almost like fake leather."

converge

Reaction score

also see my previous post regarding the red label:
"I got the navy version and sold it a week later - it's softer but you'll see every bit of dust on it and it's very hard to clean. never happens with the otter green version. also, the leather feels a lot cheaper - almost like fake leather."

Is the tan leather not bridle leather?

praguewatermelon

Reaction score
It is bridle leather according to Filson. I actually went to a Steven Alan store to check the bags out. I personally think the leather on the red label bags is roughly comparable to that on the original filson bags. But the canvas is definitely thinner. I think the red label uses 18 oz canvas versus the 22 oz canvas on the original filson bags.

converge

Reaction score

No. It's a simple job that any leather guy can do. We have some of the grips at the store since it can be difficult to get a 256 with the grip installed.

Do you guys install the grips or are these just for customers who want to install the grip themselves?

IQHU

Reaction score
I got my blue 257 red label for around 270€ off ebay.
Don't know why so cheap but it is definately a real one!

mike134

Reaction score
facepalm.gif

Unionmade webstore is pretty crappy but what do you expect when stuff goes on super sale and it's a online / B&M set up? And those boots were definitely on sale in store as well. If you want service get a personal shopper to pick stuff up for you or something like that.
As for other places to get Filson, I've gotten a good amount of stuff at Cable Car Clothiers in SF, just give them a call.

A personal shopper seems a bit extreme. There are plenty of stores with excellent customer service, I shop at many of them. This was a pretty simple case, however, Unionmade entered in to a contract that they did not fulfill and then jerked me around for weeks. So I will always recommend avoiding them.

mustardontoast

Reaction score
I'm a rookie in regards to Filson. But which bag would you recommend for traveling for a week or so, the medium or the large duffel?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics