• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FILS UNIQUE - Fine hand-crafted silver accessories - AFFILIATE VENDOR THREAD

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fils Unique (or F.U.) means "only child" in French. It evokes the universal bad reputation of only children as being irreverent and a bit self-centered (I'm an only child too 😉). We want to bring a touch of subtle rebellion and irreverence to formal outfits through an accessory that has been very traditional.
I feel so called out reading this :rotflmao:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the story and symbolism behind sugar skulls anyway? I know that they have to do with the Dia de los Muertos, but not much more than that.
It's pretty much just that. Before the Spanish came to conquer, some cultures keep the skulls of their deceased to show them in the rituals that symbolized the end of the life cycle. When the Spaniards came, they banned some of those traditions. So now, the sugar ones are used in the "ofrendas" to commemorate the death and the faith that we all have.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just tagging this thread.......
Ah, I see. There is also a “Watch” button right beside or below the pages, depending on whether you are on desktop or mobile, above the page content, just in case you want to do it that way.

Fils Unique

Affiliate Vendor
Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
Happy Monday Style Forum!

An exclusive "behind the scene" post to show our enamel craftsmanship in action (and also to let you know that we welcome custom projects 🎁).

A customer sent us this image reference for a custom octopus pendant

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 2.24.52 PM.png

The coconut octopus gets its unique name from its making dens out of discarded and hollowed-out coconut shells found in muddy waters along the coastal seafloor.

Here is the enamel painting process in speed motion and the final result. The tricky part with this design was to replicate these complex gradients properly. As you can see in the video, the gradient tones and the details are applied in successive layers.

Our customer was very happy with the final result.

All questions and feedback are welcome!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Monday Style Forum!

An exclusive "behind the scene" post to show our enamel craftsmanship in action (and also to let you know that we welcome custom projects 🎁).

A customer sent us this image reference for a custom octopus pendant

View attachment 1890363

The coconut octopus gets its unique name from its making dens out of discarded and hollowed-out coconut shells found in muddy waters along the coastal seafloor.

Here is the enamel painting process in speed motion and the final result. The tricky part with this design was to replicate these complex gradients properly. As you can see in the video, the gradient tones and the details are applied in successive layers.

Our customer was very happy with the final result.

All questions and feedback are welcome!

I am pretty sure we use the same brand of paper towel. Actually the water absorbency is very useful, since my daughter and I use them as blotters for painting, especially in water colors.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ah, I see. There is also a “Watch” button right beside or below the pages, depending on whether you are on desktop or mobile, above the page content, just in case you want to do it that way.

….

Fils Unique

Affiliate Vendor
Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
different day, different topic.

Do you know what Argentium is?

If not, you'll find more information in this blog post where we explain the main differences between Argentium and Sterling Silver. Have a good read

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
different day, different topic.

Do you know what Argentium is?

If not, you'll find more information in this blog post where we explain the main differences between Argentium and Sterling Silver. Have a good read
How about in terms of hardness and ductility? I love silver, but for larger pieces (like bracelets) I find that it can deform and scratch a bit too easily.

Fils Unique

Affiliate Vendor
Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
How about in terms of hardness and ductility? I love silver, but for larger pieces (like bracelets) I find that it can deform and scratch a bit too easily.
The hardness and ductility are practically identical because the main component remains the same: Silver. and silver is a "soft' metal (like gold), they both have a hardness of 2.5 on the Mohs Scale.

If you want to improve the hardness (and thus scratch resistance), a good option is to add a layer of plating. Rhodium which has the same color as Silver and a hardness of 6 Mohs is used most of the time. That will protect any silver piece greatly but...Rhodium is rare and thus expensive. The same goes for Platinum (with a hardness of 4.5 Mohs).

The hardness and ductility are identical for Sterling Silver and Argentium. One of the main benefits of Argentium resides in the tarnish resistance. Silver is a metal that oxidized easily when not worn, the addition of Germanium in the alloy keeps a longer luster and shininess.

Spacepilot

Reaction score
How big is something like that Octopus on? I don’t see the pics worn, or maybe even measurements?
Or this:

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you need measurements for your pendants. Or pics of people wearing them (not all of them have them). Or preferably both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads