• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite university campus

KBW

Reaction score
few more shots
100_3955.JPG
100_3956.JPG
100_3964.JPG
100_3964.JPG
My 8am class's auditorium
100_3981.JPG

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this doesn't really compare to most of the posts in this thread, but I used to work at the Maryland Institute College of Art. It's located in a great part of Baltimore and I truly enjoyed my walk to work each morning. I worked in the marble building in some of the photos.

i348brown%20center1_alain%20jaramillo2.jpg

container_bg.jpg

Maryland-Institute-College-of-Art-1129A3D2.jpg

Maryland-Institute-College-of-Art-CA9CA7DE.jpg

entrancestreet275x414.jpg

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Some bias of course, but I think all round, it's hard to beat University of Toronto's massive campus, located right in the downtown core, yet manages to do the "ivy league" look with the best of them, as well as showcase modernist & contemporary architecture. It does a good job of integrating well with the urban fabric, while maintaining a "campus" feel.

All photos except are by myself (sorry for posting what's probably too many, but even that doesn't cover much of what's on campus)

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am partial to the Northeast style campuses. I particularly like Princeton. Another I like that hasn't been mentioned is West Point. I ate dinner in the dining hall once and the inside was just as nice as the outside.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, I think there's a square foot of the University of Toronto's campus we have yet to see.

To be honest the campus looks great, but seriously, are you a recruiter or something?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Wait, I think there's a square foot of the University of Toronto's campus we have yet to see.

To be honest the campus looks great, but seriously, are you a recruiter or something?

Great campus; I'd never seen pictures. How is the shoe-museum?

I read a novel called Factoring Humanity recently (on a lark - just went in the bookstore and picked up the first thing I saw) that takes place at the U of T campus. It was an imaginative science-fiction book, and though I don't think it was superb, FreshCut might like to know it's out there. Mentions the Bata museum and other landmarks/history figure prominently.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Toronto is great. Used to be a hotbed of Straussianism too, but not any more.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Toronto is great. Used to be a hotbed of Straussianism too, but not any more.
I have to admit being a little confused as to just what Straussianism is...I get conflicting ideas...is it conservative...is it liberal...is it liberal conservatism? I'm completely lost as how to interpret it in terms of your comment about UofT.

Are you referring to its 19th century era, where it was a confederation of pious religious-run schools?....or its era of the late 60's/70's when the Yorkville scene, Rochedale and the whole McLuhan thing made UofT a hotbed of counter-culture?

While generally not having a clue, I'd venture that while McLuhan's theories may have dissected or exposed Straussianism in the process, I wouldn't say he either practiced or condoned it. Or is that actually the very definition of Straussianism? Like I said...I'm totally clued out on that one.

How is the shoe-museum?
I'm ashamed to admit never going in...I know the topic of shoes weigh heavily on this forum, but at the risk of uttering blasphemous words...shoes really don't interest me that much outside of what I might want on my feet. I do like the building though (Raymond Moriyama).

The museum is of course not part of UofT..it just happens to be located on the main streets which make up the perimeter of the campus (Bloor, Bay, Spadina, College). The UofT building I was intending to highlite was the large deco building on the opposite corner.

Wait, I think there's a square foot of the University of Toronto's campus we have yet to see. are you a recruiter or something?
Yea...yea I know...waaaaay too many pics (sorry if I crashed anybody's computer). But the truth is, those pics still don't convey or show just how big or diverse this urban campus is...it's a rather large geographical area, with a very large amount of facilities wedged into downtown. The student, faculty/staff population is like at least 60,000.

No, I'm not a recruiter...nor a student. I just find that the campus makes for a unique and wonderful addition to the diverse urban environment, where one doesn't have to be affiliated to enjoy its charms.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
UVA is overrated. The Rotunda and the lawn are obviously impressive - but the rest is very forgettable.

Biased but I've always thought Penn's campus is very nice - especially for an urban school.

I have particularly fond memories of the historic athletic facilities - Franklin Field (the oldest multi-tiered stadium in the US) and the Palestra.

FranklinFieldPenn.jpg

front.jpg

Palestra_1927.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads