• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite style magazines

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the recent talk of GQ's downward slide, I was wondering whether it is the favorite style magazine of the forum's members, or has it been replaced by one of the "young turks."

bryce330

Reaction score
The only ones I read are British GQ and occasionally Details. I don't think anyone looks at Maxim or FHM as "style" or even "fashion" magazines.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I have been one to bring up the topic of GQ's recent unimpressive changes.  However, I don't know enough about the others to pick one of them as my favorite.  I might have to pick up Details or FHM/Maxim (I don't see much of a difference between the latter two, and I don't think they're really style-related).  I've also been wanting to pick up a copy of Esquire.  A friend of mine recommended it to me recently, but I haven't had a chance to buy a copy.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I for one feel that GQ has gone down in quality in recent months. I can remember looking at the styles in GQ and wanting to emulate those styles but now I look at the magazine and laugh at what is considered stylish. Personally, Ashton Kutcher and the likes of Johnny Knoxville are not what I think "GQ" to be. Perhaps the magazine is aimed at a younger market than it was once and perhaps, being a conservative dresser, I am no longer the dempgraphic that the magazine is aimed at. British GQ however is great.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually like the new GQ more than the old GQ, although I feel that they are not going to be able to compete with their younger stablemate, Details. A lot of the GQ fashion features are just tired (although I loved the shoot with Dre 3000 from September(?) 2003). I like Details a *lot* more.

I also read Arena, The Face, British Esquire and British GQ, which veer clear of the Ashton Kucher cliches, but have fresh styles and are not always going on and on about Fred Astaire.

High_Roller

Reaction score
I buy GQ each month, but that's just a compulsive habit. I really wish I could find a magazine with more clothing and prices. That's all I want..

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I subscribe to GQ, Esquire, Details, and Razor. GQ and Esquire are probably the best for fashion, all are good sometimes and suck sometimes. None are consistently great.

Classic

Reaction score
I used to be a GQ fan, but no longer. Perhaps it is my advancing age, but now I look for magazines that show more clothes and provide more details about them.

High_Roller

Reaction score
And have you found one like that?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the past few months GQ has actually been getting much better than I was a year ago. I've begun reading it regularly again.

I like FHM Collections the best for clothing info, cause it features the most amount of clothing, plus prices.

Recently I've been reading BlackBook as well.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dig that double-breasted linen suit Kutcher's wearing.

GQ ran a little section on how to properly fit a suit, in the issue with Uma Thurman on the cover. Good stuff.

Both GQ and Esquire are repeating the basic guidelines of style, it seems. Esquire seems to be pushing brown suits again with its latest issue.

Mike

Reaction score
I used to really be into GQ, and some of the stuff they have is still ok, but I haven't really been into what they've become. A few months ago they ran a piece on how to effectively wear sneakers with a suit. I'll pass on that-- too many bad flashbacks to the eighties (I remember an episode of "Full House" where Bob Saget, John Stamos, and Dave Coulier all had suits with sneakers on. And Stamos's was one of those eighties, thick shoulder pad, double-breasted power suits.). Last month there was a piece on making black tie less formal for the holidays. Isn't there one bastion of style that should be left alone, without tampering with it? Then there are the articles about Johnny Knoxville, Kutcher, etc. Not the crowd I want to be a part of.

I've liked Esquire a lot. Good, if sometimes minimal fashion coverage. I especially like the articles though. "What I've Learned" is always pretty good, and you get a better feeling about who these people actually are. Also, related to the fashion end, there are the articles that show how a piece of clothing is made, what to look for, quality-wise, in that piece, and different variations. Very interesting.

ilvangelo

Reaction score
Collezione Uomo, hands down.

Esquire is probably the best American men's "fashion" magazine, though the coverage is limited as somebody pointed out. The british versions of GQ and Esquire are rather good, and probably better than their American counterparts. I really don't like L'Uomo Vogue. I find it not elegant at all, but I assume it catters to a different audience, the fashionistas.

Yours,
IlVangelo

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago they ran a piece on how to effectively wear sneakers with a suit.  I'll pass on that-- too many bad flashbacks to the eighties (I remember an episode of "Full House" where Bob Saget, John Stamos, and Dave Coulier all had suits with sneakers on.  And Stamos's was one of those eighties, thick shoulder pad, double-breasted power suits.).  Last month there was a piece on making black tie less formal for the holidays.  Isn't there one bastion of style that should be left alone, without tampering with it?
Yeah, those were two GQ articles that gave me seizures. Anyone wearing a dinner jacket with a pair of jeans will look like a tool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads