• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion trends you don't buy into

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
022406_boat_shoes.jpg

come on, wtf is that ****?

Dear Sir,

Do you perchance have the same shoe available in a velcro style? I am a man of leisure and I cannot waste my time with the petty nuisance of shoelaces.

Yours with purchasing interest,

yfyf

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to say I do not have velcro in stock, but I did just get new stock in the light up boat shoe category, similar to:
light-up-shoes.jpg
These are great for the man who loves to travel any time of day or night.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
I am sorry to say I do not have velcro in stock, but I did just get new stock in the light up boat shoe category, similar to:
light-up-shoes.jpg

These are great for the man who loves to travel any time of day or night.

I shall take these as they are perfect for finding my stacks of $10,000, strewn carelessly on the floor of my dramatic yet poorly lit quadruplexsuplex apartment. They will guide my way as I creak about in skin tight swedish jeans with beautiful models on each arm and penis.

Do you accept Paypal? I own it, you know.

Yours with astounding wealth and taste,

yfyf

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Ornately embroidered/printed everything
2) square toe or elf shoes
3) baggy clothing

Most other things I can deal with since I don't see any of the stuff in magazines in real life, sadly.

I love boat shoes but am annoyed because I started wearing them before the trend. I used to be able to find the weird colors on deep discounts, now you pay more for it.

I'm getting bored with the Slimane look, but I do think it looks good on anyone who isn't moderately overweight.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
**** the following:

Boat Shoes
Desert Boots
"Americana" or anything described with that stupid ******* word, Wayfarers and 50's style sunglasses included.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally don't get this suit & tie thing everyone is on about. Brown shoes? Don't get me started..

t-shirts shorts and converses ftw!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
**** the following:

Boat Shoes
Desert Boots
"Americana" or anything described with that stupid ******* word, Wayfarers and 50's style sunglasses included.

I didn't realize Wayfarers were such a trend. I started wearing them when I was 15, that was in 1985. I never stopped. They are really the best looking sunglasses on me. I have tried many others, but they just don't look as good.

glowell222

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
+1 on the Keenes or rubber seaboots for cruddy weather. If not for deck hardware, I'd just go barefoot.

I find that, when the water is cooler and on a wet-sailing boat, the Sperrys are a little more comfy and warm. The Keenes are great on hot days. Foul-weather sailing requires foul-weather gear, and I don't count Sperrys or Keenes in that camp.

I do prefer boat shoes over loafers when I'm wearing shorts. To my eye, that combination looks right, while loafers with shorts looks so contrived it's almost a caricature.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
Fur
Fur
Fur

I'd love to have an astrakhan lined coat.

I'd very rarely wear it; but it would be reassuring to have one hanging in the closet.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Mine are pretty much the same as everyone else's:

1) Flip flops - down here in TX they are worn everywhere, year-round. A young girl with pretty feet is okay sometimes but I've seen some guys wearing them whose feet should never see the light of day. If that's going to be your only foot wear at least get a peticure.
2) The whole Euro-trash rocker look: Ed Hardy, Affliction, True Religion, etc. Dude, 2003 called - they want their look back. Especially if you're over 25. I was in Vegas recently and that appears to be the national "going out on the town" look right now. It's bad enough but just ridiculous on a middle-aged man.
3) Slim, short suits. I went to college in the 80's and my dad tried to warn me about investing in big, baggy, wide-shouldered suits. I now have too many cringe-worthy pictures that I have hidden in boxes. Am I the only one who realizes the same pictures GQ is posting now will end up in their Errors in Judgement column in a decade or so?
4) Square-toed "pilgrim" shoes. In the local department stores they're still a large % of the product mix. What do I have to look forward to next? Oh yeah, the extremely long, sharp toe look now being sported by the culprits in #2 above.
5) The worn out, wrinkled, aged look. I'd love to sneak into an Abercrombie and Fitch store one night and press and repair everything. To pay that much for something that looks that ragged is just ridiculous.
6) Ill fitting suits in general. An entire generation has been raised on the sartorial tastes of pro athletes and sports announcers. It is so tiring to have people - even tailors (!) - tell me that my coat is too short in the sleeves and body. If the coat isn't 2-3" below the bottom of my butt and the sleeves hit anywhere higher than the bottom of my wrist then it is too short. Does anyone but SF members remember that men should show at least 1/2" of shirt cuff?
7) Button down shirts with suits! I'll give you a pass occasionally if it's a sack suit but an Armani with a BB polo collar oxford? Hideous.

Thanks for giving me a chance to rant. I fell better already...

jptoor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scoundrel
Those damn yellow bracelets

The ones for Livestrong?...

Extremely baggy jeans/ extremely tight jeans. Rips in jeans. Acid wash.

Cutoff pants at shin length.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
**** the following:

Boat Shoes
Desert Boots

Desert boots are kind of old, though, so can they really be called a trend? I mean, they may have been able to be called a trend in the 1960s, but today?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads