• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Newbie: Trying to Develop a Hot-but-Classic Look

dolphin08

Reaction score
Note: I wasn't sure if this thread should be placed in Men's Clothing or Streetwear and Denim. I ask a lot of questions about t-shirts and jeans, but I also ask about button-down shirts and blazers. Hi all, I am a 21-year old college student in Northern California, extremely new to the world of men's fashion. Here's a brief recap of my "fashion" history: During high school and my first two years of college, my outfits solely consisted of ThinkGeek.com t-shirts and khakis. My hair was never brushed, my facial hair always half-trimmed. I truly did not care about the way I looked, and it showed. During the end of my sophomore year of college, I realized that it was time for a change. I ended up with a wardrobe of poorly fitted jeans and completely unfitted t-shirts that were far too short and far too billowy, but at least I was done with ThinkGeek.com and I had brushed hair. I've since been trying to refine my look, and I've gradually moved from poorly fitted jeans to better jeans and from billowy t-shirts to much sexier, tighter t-shirts. I am an attractive guy, and since my latest clothing showcases my body instead of hiding it, I've been getting a lot of female attention. It feels good! I recently purchased and read AskMen.com's Style Bible, in which I learned some invaluable tips. Unfortunately, the book is more geared towards right-out-of-college men, and as such it spends little time discussing casual clothing (aside from a fantastic section on jeans). Before I ask my questions, I will describe my look and style as it currently stands: - My body type: I am white (medium-toned), 6'2" and weigh about 160 or 165 pounds. I have broad shoulders and am not lanky, but I am also not muscular. I have long, relatively skinny legs (length 34 or 36), and a round-but-small butt. - While I am very interested in looking great, I'd like to retain a classic look. I don't want to look super-hip or trendy. - I usually wear normal-rise (high-rise?), regular-fit, boot-cut jeans in various different washes (some very light, some darker). Some are from Old Navy and some from American Eagle. They fit far better than my original straight-leg jeans, but they still don't fit me that well: the area under my butt is quite baggy, for example. - As for tops, I really only have t-shirts. I love the tall-sized ones that hug both my chest and my waist to showcase it, epitomized by the American Apparel Track Shirt. Unfortunately, I don't know where else to look for shirts with this fit, and American Apparel's colors are limited. - Shoe-wise, I've got sneakers as well as casual, Oxford-style shoes (that don't really fit me). - For the past 12 years of my life, I've had a very similar hair cut: the hair is cut relatively short and brushed straight back. The hair at the side is thinner than the hair at the top. Over the past year, I've been experimenting with getting my hair cut shorter and shorter, although that basic look has not changed. I have a bunch of questions. I realize that this is probably too much for any one person to answer, but answers to any of these questions will be greatly appreciated! 1. If I find a great pair of jeans that fit well, is it appropriate to wear that pair of jeans all the time (or switch it off with an identical spare)? I currently own many pairs of jeans in various different washes, some of which fit better than others. In an effort to look different very day, I find myself only sometimes looking great (always switching between my various pairs). I'm hoping that this type of switching off isn't necessary! I realize (or assume) that it's a good idea to have some very cool jeans for those times when I want to look stellar, but I am referring to daily wear. 2. The Style Bible recommended that a tall, thin guy like myself go for a low-rise jean. Personally, I love the boot-cut, so I'm thinking that a low-rise, regular-fit boot-cut jean is the way to go. Would you agree? Also, would you agree that the darker the blue, the better? I currently own a lot of light-wash jeans, and they really don't seem too flattering. 3. Along the lines of #2, the Style Bible suggested that I find a cheap (~$40), well-fitted-but-unembellished pair of jeans that I can wear often, but I haven't been able to find any low-rise, regular-fit boot-cut jeans that both look ordinary and are tight in the seat. The best I've found are the Levi 527's; however, they are not that tight in the seat. I'm wondering if a little (very little) bagginess in the seat is a good look or if I should keep looking for something a bit tighter (but I essentially exhausted the mall, as most jeans are quite embellished). Any suggestions in that department would be fantastic. 4. It shouldn't be a problem for me that American Apparel only has four colors of the Track shirt, as I certainly don't want to look like an American Apparel advertisement. However, I've found that it is a problem because the only way I add variety to my "ensemble" (if you even want to call it that) is through changing my t-shirt color. If, on a daily basis, I only wear the same pair of jeans (or similar pairs), the t-shirt color is the only difference in my outfit! It seems clear to me that I need to add more variety to my wardrobe, but I am not sure which direction to go... Perhaps I need to outfit my wardrobe with more button-down shirts (i.e. casual dress shirts?), but no button-down shirt that I've ever tried on has hugged my body perfectly (i.e. my chest and waist). (Note that by "button-down shirt," I am referring to the type of shirt with buttons extending from the top to the bottom. I'm not sure of the correct terminology.) 4a. If I should be adding a lot of button-down shirts to my wardrobe, where would I find those that hug my chest and waist? 4b. I am unsure of the best way to wear a button-down shirt. I've seen them worn by themselves or over t-shirts, buttoned and unbuttoned, and tucked and untucked. What is considered stylish? It seems that wearing them over a t-shirt would be an easy way to add variety to my outfit, although I'm not sure about whether I should button up. When I leave them unbuttoned, the billowing looks ridiculous; but buttoned, no one would even see the t-shirt underneath. 4c. Are short-sleeve button-down shirts stylish? They look a bit silly to me, but could be convenient when the whether is warm and I still want to layer. 4d. As for other options, I feel that Polo shirts look too preppy. Are there other ways to spice up my daily outfit so that I don't look the same every day (even if I wear the same color t-shirt as one of the layers)? 4e. It seems hard to layer (and hence, add variety to my outfit) when the weather is warm. Any suggestions? Are there ways to add variety without layering? 5. Do you think I should I be veering away from wearing sneakers on a daily basis? I can't imagine walking around campus in loafers. Perhaps there is a good intermediate? 6. When I sit down, large portions of my socks always show. I feel that this looks dorky (as if my pants are too short), but if my jeans are any longer they'll drag on the floor (and in fact, some of my longer pairs actually do, which clearly is not ideal). Maybe it looks dorky because the socks are white (because I'm wearing sneakers) and more visible? Maybe I'm just imagining the dorkiness? Any ideas? 7. I'm uncertain as to when a guy my age should bust out something like a blazer. The blazer-plus-jeans combo looks great in my opinion, but I've also heard that it's a professorial look (i.e. not a look for a college student?). And again, I don't want to look too trendy, and I'm not sure if trendiness relates to this matter. 8. When it comes to hair, I'm uncertain as to whether I should keep having it cut shorter and shorter. I don't know how much advice I can get in this area from an online forum, but generally, is short hair considered more stylish than long hair? What is considered a stylish way to brush hair? When I brush my hair straight back, my hair ends up forming a bit of a "poof" that extends forward from my forehead, and I don't think that's flattering. I apologize for the length of this post, and I realize that very few people will actually take the time to read the whole damned thing. In any case, I'll take what I can get! Thanks
smile.gif
Update: Below are some images of my American Apparel t-shirt and Levi's jeans, so that you understand my body type and my current style. I'd love any comments and/or suggestions for improvement.

kakemono

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dolphin08
1. If I find a great pair of jeans that fit well, is it appropriate to wear that pair of jeans all the time (or switch it off with an identical spare)? I currently own many pairs of jeans in various different washes, some of which fit better than others. In an effort to look different very day, I find myself only sometimes looking great (always switching between my various pairs). I'm hoping that this type of switching off isn't necessary! I realize (or assume) that it's a good idea to have some very cool jeans for those times when I want to look stellar, but I am referring to daily wear.
Wearing the same jeans repeatedly helps age the jeans and is actually recommended by many here. I have been sporting the same pair of jeans for about 3 months with only 2-3 other pairs spread in here and there, but not much. I think it is a poor choice to wear ill-fitted jeans just to mix things up. Finding one perfect pair of jeans and that pair will easily replace your rotation of ill-fitting ones.

2. The Style Bible recommended that a tall, thin guy like myself go for a low-rise jean. Personally, I love the boot-cut, so I'm thinking that a low-rise, regular-fit boot-cut jean is the way to go. Would you agree? Also, would you agree that the darker the blue, the better? I currently own a lot of light-wash jeans, and they really don't seem too flattering.
Once again, selvage jeans seem to be the common idea in these forums. The basic idea of them is that they coem to you without any prewashing and they fade to however you wear them... so every pair ends up different, perfectly reflecting your lifestyle.

Perhaps I need to outfit my wardrobe with more button-down shirts (i.e. casual dress shirts?), but no button-down shirt that I've ever tried on has hugged my body perfectly (i.e. my chest and waist).

(Note that by "button-down shirt," I am referring to the type of shirt with buttons extending from the top to the bottom. I'm not sure of the correct terminology.)

Ralph Lauren "Custom fit" is what I always suggest to friends who are tall and skinny and feel they always have to buy larges so they are long enough - but since they are skinny, they end up looking like a tent. I normally suggest these b/c they are pretty mainline. There is a thread somewhere in this forum called "The difinitive guide to slim fit shirts"... or something along those lines where this issue is greatly talked about

5. Do you think I should I be veering away from wearing sneakers on a daily basis? I can't imagine walking around campus in loafers. Perhaps there is a good intermediate?

6. When I sit down, large portions of my socks always show. I feel that this looks dorky (as if my pants are too short), but if my jeans are any longer they'll drag on the floor (and in fact, some of my longer pairs actually do, which clearly is not ideal). Maybe it looks dorky because the socks are white (because I'm wearing sneakers) and more visible? Maybe I'm just imagining the dorkiness? Any ideas?

You don't need to wear penny loafers, but if you are wearing sneakers/white socks, then this does look dorky. On the other hand, If you are wearing a nice pair of shoes along with some dress socks... this rise of the jeans expresses sophistication, imho...

7. I'm uncertain as to when a guy my age should bust out something like a blazer. The blazer-plus-jeans combo looks great in my opinion, but I've also heard that it's a professorial look (i.e. not a look for a college student?). And again, I don't want to look too trendy, and I'm not sure if trendiness relates to this matter.
Thanks
smile.gif

Start with an outerwear blazer-looking thing... sich as a peacoat/carcoat. This will introduce the look to your crowd, then you can throw in the blazer and it won't be shock.

My #1 suggestion is to sit down for a few hours and look through the "What are you wearing today" threads and note the looks that you like. You will like what you see - the added bonus is that the folks will post everything they are wearing so if you like it, you can go buy it.

I would check out Nudie or APC. They seems to be some of the better bang-for-the buck jeans... coming in at between $125-175 mostly. I think there are cheaper alternative in mianline stores, such as Gap, etc... but the cut will not be what you are looking for, but rather, it will be more of the same stuff you have now... mass-produced jeans for a generally overweight populus made as cheap as possible. I have a pair of the Gap salvage and I can't even compare them to my Nudie RRDS.

dolphin08

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kakemono
You don't need to wear penny loafers, but if you are wearing sneakers/white socks, then this does look dorky. On the other hand, If you are wearing a nice pair of shoes along with some dress socks... this rise of the jeans expresses sophistication, imho...
Thanks for the response! Wouldn't it be uncomfortable to walk around campus all day with dress shoes, or are there nice shoes with good support?

Any more opinions would also be much appreciated
smile.gif

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why would sneakers + white socks look dorky? it's pretty much what everyone does on campus. if you don't want to let your socks show, wear the ankle cut ones. you're really skinny but aren't willing to admit it; being 160lbs. and 6'2" is pretty lanky and skinny. that, combined with tent shirts from mall brands, spell disaster in terms of fit for mostly everyone. there are 2 solutions to this: 1. don't shop at the malls. they're overpriced, and never fit right. instead hit up some local boutiques, go for brands like band of outsiders for shirts, or internet made-to-measure, which can be had cheaply if you search this forum ($50-$150+). 2. go find a tailor. start off with the dry cleaner ones that do alterations, and from there on you can either stick to them if they do a good job, or move on to a more expensive/real tailor. they can take in waists, dart shirts, shorten them, etc.
5. Do you think I should I be veering away from wearing sneakers on a daily basis? I can't imagine walking around campus in loafers. Perhaps there is a good intermediate?
i'm a current sr. in college and i find that i own less and less sneakers after perusing this forum more and more...maybe you'll end up the same, who knows!
laugh.gif
but in general you should at least have an idea of what proper/formalwear looks like, so you aren't totally unprepared for interviews after you graduate.
7. I'm uncertain as to when a guy my age should bust out something like a blazer. The blazer-plus-jeans combo looks great in my opinion, but I've also heard that it's a professorial look (i.e. not a look for a college student?). And again, I don't want to look too trendy, and I'm not sure if trendiness relates to this matter.
it'll look tacky if you try too hard. if you feel that it's not "you" and aren't confident about it, then it'll look tacky. if and when you do it, pair them with a dark pair of non-distressed or little distressed jeans, and if you wear a dress shirt, tuck it in, and don't undo more than the top 2 buttons. no one needs to see your t-shirt underneath. if you want to go the rockstar route, wearing a pair of dirty chucks + t-shirt will work as well. like kakemono said, starting off with outerwear is a good idea. also, there is a difference between button up and button down; button downs have buttons that button down the collar of the shirt, button ups don't.
4c. Are short-sleeve button-down shirts stylish?
they remind me of people who wear thinkgeek t-shirts, and old men on vacation at the bahamas
tounge.gif
4d. As for other options, I feel that Polo shirts look too preppy. Are there other ways to spice up my daily outfit so that I don't look the same every day (even if I wear the same color t-shirt as one of the layers)?
how is a polo shirt too preppy but a dress shirt isn't...? polos should be worn casually, but never under a blazer/sportcoat. also, a t-shirt color shouldn't be the mainstay of your wardrobe...it seems that you're getting caught up in color choices for t-shirts, which i can understand from a person who doesn't have much of a wardrobe to begin with. eventually you should move on to button ups/downs as mainstays, as well as sweater items. hope this helps, and remember to view that what i wore today thread! also, i think this belongs in streetwear.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a lanky guy myself (6'3" 180 lbs., until recently 160 lbs.), I'll say the best thing you can do for yourself is to find a good alterations tailor. Jeans can be taken in through the seat and waist for a better fit. Buy the slimmest button-up shirts you can find that fit your shoulders and have the right sleeve length, then have them altered to fit through the body.

If you have disproportionately long legs compared to your torso, as I do, then low-rise jeans may work for you. I prefer to wear tailored jackets, but I'm also 47 yo and don't want to look like a geezer who's trying too hard. I prefer bootcut jeans regardless of what happens to be in style at the moment because bootcut jeans give my legs some shape and de-emphasizes their length.

I frequently wear polo shirts and I don't think anyone would describe me as "preppy". It depends a lot on what else you wear. A pink polo with chinos, a ribbon belt, loafers, and a sweater tied around your neck would brand you as preppy; jeans, boots, and a wide leather belt would not.

For layering in colder weather, I like crew neck sweaters. I like sweaters (with a collared shirt) because it's easier to find the right sleeve length in sweaters than shirts. I choose crew necks because they de-emphasize a long, thin neck.

To vary from sneakers, I suggest a nice pair of boots. I like chelsea boots and get a lot of compliments when wearing them, but lace-up boots are also good. Try matching sock color to the color of your pants. I wear navy socks with jeans (and boots).

Finally, you'll almost certainly get more and better answers to your questions on the SW&D forum than here.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. If I find a great pair of jeans that fit well, is it appropriate to wear that pair of jeans all the time (or switch it off with an identical spare)? I currently own many pairs of jeans in various different washes, some of which fit better than others. In an effort to look different very day, I find myself only sometimes looking great (always switching between my various pairs). I'm hoping that this type of switching off isn't necessary! I realize (or assume) that it's a good idea to have some very cool jeans for those times when I want to look stellar, but I am referring to daily wear.

Judging from what you said about yourself, you seem to be in perfect shape to wear almost any jeans and look good. In my opinion, it's better to have 1 good pair of jeans rather than 4-5 so-so ones. Start with a brand like A.P.C or Nudie, which can run from $120-200. That seems like a lot but if you wear them every day, then it costs the same as 5 pairs of $40 ones do. Get something raw, unwashed, so it will match with everything. I suggest low rise tapered/straight. Not a big fan of boot cut and you shouldn't be trying to hide your skinny-ness with loose clothing (which in fact, only makes you look scrawny).

Also points 2&3, dark looks better than light wash. If you still like bootcut then go ahead, but do NOT get loose jeans. They should be fitted enough to show off your true outline, but not constricting so you cannot walk.

4. It shouldn't be a problem for me that American Apparel only has four colors of the Track shirt, as I certainly don't want to look like an American Apparel advertisement. However, I've found that it is a problem because the only way I add variety to my "ensemble" (if you even want to call it that) is through changing my t-shirt color. If, on a daily basis, I only wear the same pair of jeans (or similar pairs), the t-shirt color is the only difference in my outfit! It seems clear to me that I need to add more variety to my wardrobe, but I am not sure which direction to go...

Perhaps I need to outfit my wardrobe with more button-down shirts (i.e. casual dress shirts?), but no button-down shirt that I've ever tried on has hugged my body perfectly (i.e. my chest and waist).

(Note that by "button-down shirt," I am referring to the type of shirt with buttons extending from the top to the bottom. I'm not sure of the correct terminology.)

4a. If I should be adding a lot of button-down shirts to my wardrobe, where would I find those that hug my chest and waist?
4b. I am unsure of the best way to wear a button-down shirt. I've seen them worn by themselves or over t-shirts, buttoned and unbuttoned, and tucked and untucked. What is considered stylish? It seems that wearing them over a t-shirt would be an easy way to add variety to my outfit, although I'm not sure about whether I should button up. When I leave them unbuttoned, the billowing looks ridiculous; but buttoned, no one would even see the t-shirt underneath.
4c. Are short-sleeve button-down shirts stylish? They look a bit silly to me, but could be convenient when the whether is warm and I still want to layer.
4d. As for other options, I feel that Polo shirts look too preppy. Are there other ways to spice up my daily outfit so that I don't look the same every day (even if I wear the same color t-shirt as one of the layers)?
4e. It seems hard to layer (and hence, add variety to my outfit) when the weather is warm. Any suggestions? Are there ways to add variety without layering?

Something like tees don't really matter much (except during the summer). Get what you want. What I suggest is layering so even if you have a limited number of tees, you can switch up your outer wear to give yourself some variety.

4a. Chances are you won't find good slim fitted button-ups at any mall brand store. Find a tailor and get some cheap shirts done. H&M, Target, the like. Especially with target, whose shirts are something like $20, and then another $10-12 to tailor and perfect.

4b. Don't let them unbuttoned. In my opinion, it's a really lame and sloppy look. It doesn't matter if they can't see the tee shirt underneath, it really doesn't.

4c. They are. If you're not confident, don't. If you get too warm, get long sleeve button ups and just roll the sleeves up. It looks much better than a short sleeve IMO.

4d. Outwear. A good jacket or two, and a few layer pieces, and you can mix and match for all the variety you want. Start small, get one good navy (or black, or brown) jacket. Then expand. Don't sacrifice the quality of your wardrobe for variety. Variety can come later, but sometime down the line you might be stuck with a lot of unwanted clothes because you wanted "variety".

4e. Like I said, focus on the overall quality of your wardrobe at first. Chances are, not many people will notice (or care) that you only have one or two jackets, especially if they really nice and well fitted ones.

You're young, sneakers are fine. But if you want to dress it up, sometimes boots can be nice. Good Redwings or Clarks Desert Boots will do fine. Keep them in good quality and they'll be worth the money you pay for them.

If you're not sure, then don't try. The problem, in my opinion, with casual blazers is that most people just wear them too big/wrong. Go for a good outwear piece before you go onto a blazer.

dolphin08

Reaction score
I added pictures as an update to my original post. I'd appreciate any responses, of course, regardless of whether or not they are specific to those pictures. Thanks!

s4usea

Reaction score
Having been there myself I'm going to suggest a different casual approach. Just have one look that you add to or take away from based on the weather. Along with the jeans, pick up some grey or tan/stone twills from Brooks/Land's End/Whatever fits your budget, have them properly altered and then wash and press the crease out. Never press them again unless they get uber-wrinkled.

Pick up some long-sleeved T's to wear with them along with a few v-necks, (cashmere preferred). Stick with basic colors for both.

For shoes, go for Venetian or driving mocs. Suede is in. Have a pair of Chelsea boots for going out.

Pick up some dress shirts, button down or not. J Crew has pre-wrinkled line that works well. Make sure a few of them are white.

Get a few sport coats. Black, grey, blue, whatever you look good in.

Get a winter coat, as someone said, a pea coat and a car coat is great.

So, your basic suit is the slacks or jeans with the long sleeved t and venetians.

In the winter add the sweater.

You'll know when to wear the coat.

In the spring and early fall sub the dress shirt for the T.

When you go out wear the chelsea boots and add the sport coat.

Actually wear the sport coat anytime you want. You can even throw it on over just the T depending on the weather.

In the summer get a few of all the above in linen, and go sock-less, but depending on where you live you can still get away with the slacks/jeans and dress shirt combo.

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
Do I what I do and let's try to look like young gentlemen.

I kinda just follow every single tip from the GQ top 50 and it's done me well thus far.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Get a couple pairs of nice jeans. I really like Nudie Ralf and Sven as far as fits go. Get one in washed denim and one in dry denim. Get some nice nice shirts, have them tailor then tuck them in. This, contrary to popular belief, doesn't look dorky. It looks "hot-but-classic" and a lot better than sloppy, untucked shirts look. Other than that, get some sweaters that you can wear with the shirts or on their own. For footwear, get some boots and a classic pair of sneakers.

These are all pretty simple items that can be mixed and matched easily. Give it a shot and I think you'll be pretty happy with it.

dolphin08

Reaction score
I'm liking the advice so far! I hope to hear from even more people
smile.gif
. One problem, though, is that most of these suggestions seem to apply to colder climates. For a large part of the year, a long-sleeve shirt in Northern California would be quite uncomfortable. How should I veer away from ordinary t-shirts when the weather is hot?
Originally Posted by FormulaQ
and a round-but-small butt. Ha. Haha. HAHAha.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Perhaps I'm unaccustomed to the traditions of this forum, but that's rude. I'm also not sure what you're implying, so please clarify.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, what school do you go to? I found that some of my professors were very well dressed. One of my professors wore dress shirt without a tie and would always pair it with a gray v-neck made of cashmere or wool. The dress shirt would always be colorful and patterned. Like a pink dress shirt with purple check. The best part about this was that he had lots of color but it wasn't overbearing. It just peaked out at the top where the v-neck was. I think you should try to emulate well dressed professors.

Try to throw in some boot cut chinos. If you're afraid of looking too formal and find chinos to be a bit too dorky, the boot cut will take some of that nerdiness out of it until you're more comfortable with them. I used to be a jeans and t shirt person and was too afraid of chinos. So I took baby steps and went with bootcut chinos. In fact, I still wear bootcut chinos because I love bootcuts.

As for shoes, go with the sportier shoes made by dress brands such as Kenneth Cole or Cole Haan. I think sporty shoes with dress socks are a good look. And wearing chinos that show socks when you sit will be good.

Eventually, you'll have to ditch the t shirt look but keep tee shirts in your wardrobe. I think tees should be layered so that the shirt isn't the main component. Maybe you should have colored tees that peak out underneath dress shirts.

Btw, this forum is more for dress shirts, ties, suits. Eventually, you'll have to get to the point where you'll have to buy yourself a good suit. I recommend WW Chan and Sons for your first suit. For about $1,200 you'll get a good first suit. Here's also a secret, they will make short sleeve casual shirts with soft collars and a square bottom so you don't have to tuck it in. The best part is that they'll have the best checked patterns available that you won't be able to find at Gap or Old Navy or Banana Republic. The patterns are more in line with what you'll find British people wearing for dress shirts. But I think the fancy patterns on a short sleeve casual shirt looks really good. And you'll stand out from everyone else wearing the usual vertically striped shirt. Burberry's has made some recent short sleeve casual shirts with British checked patterns but they are very expensive (about $270). WW Chan and Sons will still charge you about $130 for their short sleeve shirts (the same as if it were long sleeve with stiff collar). Also, the buttons will be mother of pearl so you'll stand out.

College is the time and place to experiment so don't be afraid to try new stuff.

Polos are too preppy? Then just don't get it with the alligator or the little man on the horse. But the Lacoste alligator ones are very fine in their fabric. And the retro cut Lacoste fits your frame very well.

Also, you're in college. Dress smart and your grades will do better. Your professors will notice. They like well dressed students but they hate very well dressed students who are trendy (unless you're an art or music major).

I don't know what college you go to but if you go to Berkeley, try to copy Professor Lehman who teaches motor control and physiology. I loved the way he dressed.

Btw, letting your socks show is not dorky. It's the white part that is dorky. I don't know what you mean by dorky but dorkiness should sometimes be celebrated. Get yourself some Banana Republic striped socks.

And I can not recommend linen enough. I wore a linen shirt so much that it developed a huge hole in the back where my backpack rubbed against it and I didn't even know it was there for the entire day cause linen breathes so well in the summer time. Unfortunately, not many popular brands make linen short sleeve shirts. WW Chan and Sons will have it.

Btw, you're new to this place so I'll warn you. Some of the people on this forum make a lot of money. I'm not one of them. I am also new.

dolphin08

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Hey, what school do you go to?
Good ol' Cal.
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Polos are too preppy? Then just don't get it with the alligator or the little man on the horse. But the Lacoste alligator ones are very fine in their fabric. And the retro cut Lacoste fits your frame very well.
If you have any more suggestions of shirts that would fit my frame, that'd be awesome! As for your specific suggestion: I can't seem to find retro shirts on Lacoste's website. Why would that be? And by the way, does my frame require the type of slim fit shirt that is hard to find in malls? I've looked at the slim fit shirts thread, which has scared me into thinking that I won't be able to find anything in malls. When I leave "mall" shirts unbuttoned, they certainly billow around me, but perhaps unbuttoned shirts always billow? Thanks
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads