• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facial care - How much is too much?

skunkworks

Reaction score
Facial cleanser that doesn't dry your face out, moisturizer, and sunscreen are the holy trinity. Obviously shaving cream is important too.

totally epic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
You really don't need all that crap. All the "products" are just going to dry out your skin (by destroying the natural oil your skin produces) and help it age prematurely (especially those with Vitamin E extracts). This is all I do. I don't use facial cleaner or anything. To clean the face, I either take a shower or clean it with distilled water and a cotton pad. I use virgin coconut oil for moisturizer. It may feel a little oily at first but the coconut oil will quickly disolve. Shaving is the same. I always shave after a hot shower so the skin gets softened. Then I use coconut oil instead of shaving gel. All the shaving gel/cream is just crap that ruins your skin.
I'm guessing you don't have oily skin. The thought of putting pure oil on my face is horrific.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan

Also, occasionally I'll stick tape on my noise, press down and then peel it off. That's about it, and I get carded all the time at age 31.

you girl, you.

(note to self, try the tape trick, when Mrs. T's not around...)
marchal.gif

TheRealAshland

Reaction score
all that stuff is pretty extensive that you listed..lol i dont even think that ryan seacreast owns that much product for his face..

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
You really don't need all that crap. All the "products" are just going to dry out your skin (by destroying the natural oil your skin produces) and help it age prematurely (especially those with Vitamin E extracts).

This is all I do. I don't use facial cleaner or anything. To clean the face, I either take a shower or clean it with distilled water and a cotton pad. I use virgin coconut oil for moisturizer. It may feel a little oily at first but the coconut oil will quickly disolve.

Shaving is the same. I always shave after a hot shower so the skin gets softened. Then I use coconut oil instead of shaving gel. All the shaving gel/cream is just crap that ruins your skin.

what's wrong with vitamin E topicals?

TheresMorgan

Reaction score
I personally use an exfoliator and I put organic honey on my face as a mask for.. as long as until it gets annoying. for instance, at night, I'll just put it on before I go to bed, read a bit till i'm tired, hop up and wash it off, then fall asleep. it leaves your skin very clear. same in the morning.. i just put on a honey mask until i'm about to leave, then wash it off. it sounds really messy, but it washes off very easily. just dont touch your face with anything. :/ it's pretty cheap, if you haven't guessed.. here's a picture of me. and yeah, i have hair issues.
tongue.gif
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2830/faceyk1.jpg

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- Ivory soap
- shaving soap

...And the occasional blotting with a piece of toilet paper at bathroom breaks during the day. My skin is greasy as hell.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
- Ivory soap
- shaving soap

...And the occasional blotting with a piece of toilet paper at bathroom breaks during the day. My skin is greasy as hell.

That soap is drying your face out, and by not using moisturizer, your sebaceous glands start producing more oil to compensate. Pick up a gentler cleanser at the drugstore/market (Eucerin and Purpose are both good and easy to find) and start using a lotion for your face. Every time you wash your face, you should moisturize afterward.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skunkworks
That soap is drying your face out, and by not using moisturizer, your sebaceous glands start producing more oil to compensate. Pick up a gentler cleanser at the drugstore/market (Eucerin and Purpose are both good and easy to find) and start using a lotion for your face. Every time you wash your face, you should moisturize afterward.
I have read this many times, and have experimented for month-long periods with the protocol you recommend, and all I end up with is greasier skin still. Not sure why. In any case, I'm glad to have oily rather than dry skin -- I realize that as we get older, the latter is more of a nuisance.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Interesting. How old are you?

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
26. Thankfully I haven't had significant facial acne since my teen years. I get some breakouts on my back (which are, unfortunately, pretty resistant to any treatments besides Accutane, according to most docs), but besides that I have no skin complaints. I'm hoping that as I get older the bacne will disappear but without so much drying of the skin that I have to start following fancy moisturizer regimens
smile.gif

RichValentine

Reaction score
That does seem like a lot of things to have.

My basic regime is:
Face Wash
Toner
Moisturiser

but I also have a Face Scrub which I use every couple of days and also some Anthony Logistics Face Mask which I use every 3-4 days. I've got combination skin and since I've added the face mask my skin is flawless.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's too much.
I go with

Face wash 2x day
Toner 1x day
Scrub 2-3x week
Moisturizer 1-2x day
Shave gel 3-4x week
Aftershave balm 3-4x week
Blemish remover as needed
Mask/Clay 1x month
Eye cream as needed

The only thing excessive is the eye cream but it really feels good when my eyes are puffy from staying up late. The mask/clay is sort of questionable but it does the skin good. Blemish remover is some salicyclic acid mix that kills the occasional pimple.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jj_fl