• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F*&%#$ Dry Cleaners!

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
I have a ridiculously busy schedule too, but it just bothers the hell out of me to get my shirts back with the collar crease ironed way too low and creases ironed in the collar, cuffs, or front of the shirt.

And I get the sense that laundering shirts with a drycleaner deteriorates the condition of shirts prematurely. Getting my shirts back from the drycleaner, they look like what my other shirts look like after 5 or 10 washes. I think it's from overly high heat during pressing (regardless of requests not to) and/or the use of starch despite my request for none.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elegantgentleman
I have a ridiculously busy schedule too, but it just bothers the hell out of me to get my shirts back with the collar crease ironed way too low and creases ironed in the collar, cuffs, or front of the shirt.

And I get the sense that laundering shirts with a drycleaner deteriorates the condition of shirts prematurely. Getting my shirts back from the drycleaner, they look like what my other shirts look like after 5 or 10 washes. I think it's from overly high heat during pressing (regardless of requests not to) and/or the use of starch despite my request for none.

Yeah I agree. I think there's a ton of starch residue on the machines, so even if you ask for no starch, you'll get it. The only thing that the machines do better than me is the cuffs, which are usually perfectly crisp and rounded. But the trade-off is that they usually look beat up after a while of laundering, so it's not worth it imo.

After over a year of no laundering at dry cleaners, I've gotten much faster at ironing shirts. It used to take nearly 20 minutes, no it's about 5-10 per shirt, depending on the fabric and how distracted I am at the time.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
So was she supposed to cut the collar open, wash, put them back in, then resew them in? I'm lost here.
hm, seemed since most of these dry cleaners also perform alteration work. She could charge him extra to take out the collar stays and putting them back in? Simple enough.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
3-4 hours spread over a month is no big deal and it saves me the hassle of dealing with the cleaners.

1 hour here, 2 hours there, 4 hours for this and that and that, mow the lawn, clean the gutters, laundry, and on and on...

Pretty soon you get 4 minutes a day of free time.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slotshustler
Get some ******* non-iron dress shirts, tailor them the way you want, and wash them yourself. /thread

Honestly, as well-deserved as the hatred for non-iron shirts is around here, its tough to argue with this point. I hate the treated, coated feeling of non-iron shirts, but I'll always keep a few around. There simply too convenient not to use when there is no time to iron or make it to the cleaners.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Honestly, as well-deserved as the hatred for non-iron shirts is around here, its tough to argue with this point. I hate the treated, coated feeling of non-iron shirts, but I'll always keep a few around. There simply too convenient not to use when there is no time to iron or make it to the cleaners.

If you have no time to iron and also no time for the cleaners then you are rich. If you are rich pay someone to do it.

If you are not rich, then you are either lazy, OC, or dont know how to manage your time. Maybe all 3.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Another option (in winter) is to throw on a v-neck sweater over the shirt, so you only have to iron the collar and the 'bib' area.
teacha.gif

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
If you have no time to iron and also no time for the cleaners then you are rich. If you are rich pay someone to do it.

If you are not rich, then you are either lazy, OC, or dont know how to manage your time. Maybe all 3.

I mean on those few occasions when there really is no time, not consisently. Consistently I wear must-iron shirts that I have profesional laundered. There are always going to be days, however, when all of my clean pressed shirts are at the laundry waiting to be picked up. In those cases, its much faster to throw a non-iron shirt in the wash while I shower and get the rest of my rig together and then take 2 minutes touching it up rather than 20+ to properly iron a real shirt. those 18 or so minutes can make the difference in being prepared for a meeting.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even non-iron shirts have to be ironed if you want them to look crisp. The only advantage they hold, is that they do not wrinkle throghout the course of the day.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Even non-iron shirts have to be ironed if you want them to look crisp. The only advantage they hold, is that they do not wrinkle throghout the course of the day.

And they take much, much, much less time to iron.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics